Another BBC Strike

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It wasn't the normal Yorkshire version, it was a hybrid of many parts that will have looked strange whatever region you were in.

Ah, ok, so those 2 highly irritating and punchable presenters aren't regulars then?
  • pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    do we really need 2 presenters for a half hour local news at 6.30 which is at least half filmed with pre-recorded clips by reporters, when one presenter could be used without much hardship..

South Today has only had one presenter for at least 10 years!
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Ah, ok, so those 2 highly irritating and punchable presenters aren't regulars then?

Peter Levy, main presenter of the Hull version of Look North
    Paul Ogden, stand in sports presenter on the Leeds version, also Radio Leeds football commentator
    Paul Hudson, weather presenter on both Leeds and Hull versions (down the line for the latter)
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Great news, the BBC employees still hammering nails in their own coffin:)
    Does anyone else "Dare" to strike in the present industrial climate?

Well, in the last 12 months;

Postal Workers
    Civil Servants
    Driving examiners
    Train Drivers
    London Underground
    UK border agency
    London Bus Drivers

and that was just after 60 seconds searching using google, I'll bet there are more too.

Some strikes work, and some don't the firemen's strikes of 2001 almost crippled the country for 6 months, the government conceded to some of the demands. The nurses strike of the late 80's achieved more for them than the miners strikes of the early 80's which saw some pits get a few years stay of execution. The car workers strikes of the 70's destroyed the UK car manufacturing sector.
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Well, in the last 12 months;

Postal Workers
    Civil Servants
    Driving examiners
    Train Drivers
    London Underground
    UK border agency
    London Bus Drivers

and that was just after 60 seconds searching using google, I'll bet there are more too.

Some strikes work, and some don't the firemen's strikes of 2001 almost crippled the country for 6 months, the government conceded to some of the demands. The nurses strike of the late 80's achieved more for them than the miners strikes of the early 80's which saw some pits get a few years stay of execution. The car workers strikes of the 70's destroyed the UK car manufacturing sector.

And what impact will the BBC journalists striking have?
    Err, zilch...
    What is their bargaining power? Meet our demands or the BBC will be forced to fill news slots with other programmes. Right. I am quaking in my boots about the dreadful impact that will have on society. How will the nation cope?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Err, zilch...
    What is their bargaining power? Meet our demands or the BBC will be forced to fill news slots with other programmes. Right. I am quaking in my boots about the dreadful impact that will have on society. How will the nation cope?
    You might not care, but one of the mandates of the BBC is to provide a news service. They can't do that with no journalists.
    After a few days of no news reporting I'm sure 'horrified of Surbiton' and other readers of the Daily Snail and the Torygraph will be bouncing of their walls in indignation and screaming for the BBC to take action
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might not care, but one of the mandates of the BBC is to provide a news service. They can't do that with no journalists.
    After a few days of no news reporting I'm sure 'horrified of Surbiton' and other readers of the Daily Snail and the Torygraph will be bouncing of their walls in indignation and screaming for the BBC to take action

TV newsreaders and journalists don't exactly have many places to go - other than ITV (who can't employ everyone) and Sky (they don't strike me as the most union friendly company, pun not intended). Radio is one option, but Sky News is the major provider of that to radio stations.

There is only so far you can go when you're working for the largest organisation in a not particularly large business.

The BBC is not a money tree and redundancies happen in any business.

Unlike transport workers, police officers, doctors and nurses, a few journalists going on strike is not going to change people's live to any great degree. If the BBC didn't keep telling people I doubt anyone would know that there was a strike on.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    Is repeating a whole hour of news a confirmation that the BBC News Channel really does too often have nothing new to say?
    No. It just means there's another strike on :)
  • fast forwardfast forward Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well there is a slow motion-esque knee jerk reaction!
    Things are getting very tough in the working world,

But wait, an acknowledgement of the problems facing the working world with wages not keeping up with inflation, cutbacks in pension entitlement, a longer working life and more pressure with less people doing more work. Just what's happening in the BBC!
    I'm glad that in about a years time, like you, I will be retired & on (hopefully) a good pension.

Ah but then it all goes wrong, it will be all right for you, you'll spend more time fishing by the river and have more time to watch day-time television and snipe at the BBC.

Happy retirement! don't worry about the others though, Oh, you weren't going to anyway??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err, zilch...

Got to agree however much I sympathise with their plight.

Striking about workload and bullying might achieve something.

Striking about cuts is a waste of breath. There isn't more money out there. It certainly won't come from tax. The best they can hope for is cuts in other parts of the BBC.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    BBC radio sounding great again without the strikers.

Can we keep this industrial action up

Delete.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Sky's Colin Brazier seemed to be mocking the BBC earlier he was talking to Niall Paterson who was outside New Broadcasting house, plenty of smirks from Brazier including the comment "Don't go inside they might put you on air." and "the BBC are currently showing a recording of the 11am hour" smirk.
    A punchy "joke" from Colin.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, zilch...

There seemed a lot of people around in the newsroom from the background on the news programmes today.

As you suggest a news strike has little impact and there are doubts about the amount of support for it.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are doubts about the amount of support for the strike, many might be prepared to take the odd day off but would they stay out for a prolonged period. The news service is reduced by there were news bulletins all day.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the BBC that's on strike, it's NUJ members. They're taking industrial action against the BBC, not on their behalf.

Well yes, thank you for pointing that out I was aware of the fact, I just missed the word "Journalists " out and to be pedantic it is not just NUJ members it is BECTU, as well.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The NUJ had said they would return to work if a major story broke today (which so far hasn't happened).

But why?

Because they think it would be in the public interest- or because if, say, Nelson Mandela had died they just couldn't bare to miss out on what would be one of the biggest stories of the year?

Really if you believe in your cause it should make no difference.

Because they consider they are important.

If Mandela or any other famous person had died, apart from announcing it, all life stories of famous people will be on "tape" ready to put on air at a moments notice. There are plenty of non-union members already at the BBC who are perfectly capable of carrying that out very well I am sure.

Where members of the NUJ and BECTU are at a big disadvantage, they have a very poor bargaining platform to fight from. There are also too many other news sources now. Journalists are not exactly in great demand in the industry
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    duplicated
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    martin153 wrote: »
    Or maybe its my money, given to them against my will and they choose to have a couple of days off with it.

Once it enters the BBC's coffers, it's no longer your money.

In the same way that when your wages are paid, that money is no longer your employer's.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You must have missed ASLEF, RMT, CWU, PCS , NUT, to name but a few.
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC journalists and BECTU staff start a 12 hour strike at 12noon today.

Like last time there was little publicity on their own news bulletins by BBC.

i heard about it on the BBC several times.
    In fact, I'm damn sure they interviewed someone about the stress caused by budget cuts and the threat of redundancy which is largey the reason for the strike.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guiser wrote: »
    i heard about it on the BBC several times.
    In fact, I'm damn sure they interviewed someone about the stress caused by budget cuts and the threat of redundancy which is largey the reason for the strike.

There was no mention of it BEFORE strike started,

Yes, there was after it started.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that they DO have journalists - those who are not members of the NUJ, and those who are freelance. There should be plenty to call on considering the size of the news operation. And those journalists provided a news service over the 12 hours.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder why people choose not to be in the NUJ.

OK, it's nor a requirement, and you might be a 'conciencious objector' (which in itself is a bit of a worry, because rightly or wrongly people might think that gives a clue to your political beliefs)

But- even if you think strikes solve nothing (another argument altogether) how do you know you might not need the unions help one day? You feel you are being bullied- You can't ask for the union rep to help you- you might be long term sick- you might need some good advice on whether they can get rid of you in such circumstances. Unions aren't all about industrial action.

And- do you have any friends?

It's quite sad looking at chrisrogersnews twitter account. There doesn't appear to be any interaction with his fellow presenters at all. All he ever does is tweet about the next time he is on air (which seems to be daily as he has contracts for World, News channel, and London) and retweet compliments from about 4 fans. I always thought it was considered bad form to retweet compliments, but he does it all the time!

And will he ever get a top job as a thank you for working during the strikes?

I doubt it. It's never worked for previous strike breakers because he is being used. Chances are the management don't like the unavoidable cutbacks any more than the unions do. And some of them will have been on the shop floor before achieving management status- so he won't be the next Huw Edwards- Just Chrissie no mates- but I guess that's his choice!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accoridng to the BBC News this morning some teachers may also be going on strike (much to the delight of their pupils). Another bunch of highly paid, stressed workers who get about three months' paid holiday every year and go home at the slightest drop of snow.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Accoridng to the BBC News this morning some teachers may also be going on strike (much to the delight of their pupils). Another bunch of highly paid, stressed workers who get about three months' paid holiday every year and go home at the slightest drop of snow.

Yes, there is a common denominator somewhere:D
    Yes, got it - most of these striking jobs are funded by Council tax, TVtax or just plain general tax.