Need Advice

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Nokia N70 (which is locked to T-Mobile and i have to go through them to unlock it as its a BB5 model). I am on pay as you go on the everyone price plan. I dont use mobile internet except on occasion when im not near a pc with a net connection and i need to access something (which is not very often). My main concern is texting. A lot of people text me and i always reply ASAP but most of them are on other networks and i know of the Text Appeal price plan but that wont be much use to me because of the people on other networks and the xnet calls on that price plan are expensive. I find my credit goes down rather quickly. I need to cut it down, would people phoning me instead of texting all the time (making me reply) help because if you got a lot to say, you can say it in the call not by loads of texts. I know the calls on my current price plan are 12p/min to all uk networks.

Note: Contract for me is not an option, its not that im not old enough its that my bank account wont allow direct debit and i dont want to open another one or change the account, plus i dont want to be stuck with huge bills and monthly charges...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Have you had a look at the o2 PAYG sims? Depending how much you spend each month on your top-ups you get a number of free texts. If you top up £10 you get 300, £15 you get 500 and £30 you get 1000 (i think thats correct, feel free to correct me on the exact numbers if im wrong)
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is yes i have considered those, but i will lose the 3G features because those sims are 2G only so that will render the 3G features of the N70, useless...
    Forum Member
    I have a 3g phone and have 3g turned off - never use it. What 3g services do you actually use??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None really, plus i cant unlock it anyway as its a BB5 nokia and everyone knows of the issue around those types of nokia and unlocking...
    Forum Member
    well if you use the texts as much as you say you do is it not worth getting t-mob to unlock it or buying yourself a new phone as it may work out cheaper in the long run?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They tell me they need £15 on the sim and the sim needs to be at least 3 months old before they can unlock it (which it isnt)
    Forum Member
    so be patient and then pay them the £15 to unlock it. Get yourself ready for when it is unlocked and get an O2 sim for free whilst you can. Im sure there is an ad at the moment on the this sites front page where you can still get free sims.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    i have the same phone on the same network and ive had huge probs with the 3G service. i used to have a similar phone on vodaphone and the 3G was great! it seems that even if t-mobile say that you have a full 3G signal in the area you rarely get it!

as you are on PAYG t-mobile dont really have any hold over you - just take the phone to a shop that does unlocking and they will sort it for you for around the same £15, then just get yourself a sim which will give u a great deal on the texts and still allow you to use the 3G service.

its a shame you dont want a contract, as the one im on just now costs me £30 a month, but i get £100 worth of services (calls/txt) and even though my phone is permanently attached to my ear ive never managed to use all my allocation!

good luck with it all! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the BB5 type nokias (and the N70 is one) can only be unlocked by network not by shops or market stalls?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    my local "friendly asian store" was able to sort it for me ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is a shop here in Southampton in the city centre which unlocked a K750i for me once, maybe i could ask them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the average price to get a phone unlocked?
    Forum Member
    £10. £15 max normally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so i saved myself upto 30 quid by doing it myself, am i happy or what? lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just changed to the Text Appeal price plan. 3p texts to any uk network, anytime. Before for example (on the everyone plan), 10 texts would cost £1, now 10 texts will cost 30p, i've shaved 70p off :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i changed to o2, cause i get 500 mins free per month to any one o2 number and i also get 500 anytime minutes from my home postcode, also bought 30 texts online for £1.50, so thats like 5p each instead of 10p each, oh and internationally calling, 15p a minute instead of £1.50.

My dad has been on o2 for like 20 years, old days cellnet lol, and he pays a bout 20 quid a year for his pay and go.
    I believe he has to make one call every 6 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DXRulz wrote: »
    I've just changed to the Text Appeal price plan. 3p texts to any uk network, anytime. Before for example (on the everyone plan), 10 texts would cost £1, now 10 texts will cost 30p, i've shaved 70p off :D

What company you with?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Mobile
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what T-Mobile said in an email reply to me when i asked them about unlocking the N70...
    Hello Ben

Thanks for asking if it's possible to unlock your Nokia N70 and what you'd have to do.

I appreciate you'd like to use your phone with another network as well as T-Mobile. I'm sorry you can't do this just yet.

I'm pleased to say that you can unlock your Nokia N70 by ordering a subsidy PIN. This costs £15 (including VAT) and should arrive within 28 working days.

It may be that not all of your phone's features will work on another network. You'll need to check that your phone is compatible with the network you're planning to use it on. You'll also need a working SIM card to unlock it. You'll need to have done these things before we can send you your subsidy PIN Ben:

· Made your first top-up at least three months ago

· Pay the £15 charge by topping up your account - click here for details.

Then you can order your subsidy PIN by sending me this information:

· Your mobile number, full address and account password - the one you use when you call us

· An alternative number we can contact you on

· A postal or email address to send your subsidy PIN to

· The IMEI number of the Nokia N70. You'll find this on the back of your phone underneath the battery, or by pressing *#06# on your keypad

· Tell us how you'd like to pay the £15 charge (this can include your bill).

Thanks for your email Ben and I hope you can use your both SIM cards soon.

Please also feel free to ask if you've any more questions and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards

Juliet
    Customer Services Email Team
    T-Mobile

What do i do? As my last topup was not 3 months ago...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leave it with me a few days, i have a man that can probably do it for 10 pounds, i will e mail him and ask, he can usually do about 98& of phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont i now feel the idiot, this is the responce i had back from him, i suggest you do what he says . mind you i did say only 98% of the time.

=========Reply Start==========
    usually you can do nokia's for free, but some models, like the n70 (bb5 phone), require you to use special software to unlock it. I dont deal with nokias but im pretty sure you would need to buy credits off someone who sells nokia unlocking software, then connect your phone via a cable to your pc and unlock the phone with the software they provide. Or there are hardware units local sellers use, if you know if any, who connect the phone to a box and unlock it on the spot.
    ==================finish============

let us know how you get o.