The Keys Of Marinus

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Gonna continue these threads for those who have watched the stories. :)

Never seen this story discussed much on this forum. It's a bit of an oddity with nearly every episode hopping about from place to place and The Doctor absent for two whole episodes though the action is good enough to distract from that. When he does return, Hartnell's holiday has put him on top form in the last two episodes and the all the courtroom drama.

The Voords are not exactly the most scariest adversary the show has ever shown, though at the time to young children they may have been. The story also has that classic Terry Nation feel with another jungle being present in one episode(and I'm sure radiation got mentioned somewhere).

Wouldn't say it's one of the better stories of the First Season but it it's okay. The only annoying thing about it was the production team's continual use of blocking the regulars from the TARDIS. After it being so prominent in Marco Polo, you thought they might not want to try it again but they did and it wasn't the last story of this Season to do that.

:)

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also a sort of poor man's Key to Time, as I mentioned in a thread last year. :)

I think the Morphoton episode where Barbara is the only one seeing reality and the rest have been mesmerised is powerfully done. :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also a sort of poor man's Key to Time, as I mentioned in a thread last year. :)

I think the Morphoton episode where Barbara is the only one seeing reality and the rest have been mesmerised is powerfully done. :)

Outside the court room episodes, definitely the next best one. Barbara was certainly given a lot of good storylines around this period and JH put in another good performance in that episodes.

I did read that thread last year and I agree it is a scaled down version of The Key To Time and not as good I admit.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outside the court room episodes, definitely the next best one. Barbara was certainly given a lot of good storylines around this period and JH put in another good performance in that episodes.

I did read that thread last year and I agree it is a scaled down version of The Key To Time and not as good I admit.

But it came first, which means The Key to Time is a scaled-up version of The Keys of Marinus. :D
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    Yes wasn't the radiation something to do with the sea, thats why they travelled in the capsule things. It's ages since I seen this and it's not a very memorable story either to be fair. I'm not a big fan of the ones that hop about, bit like The Chase (albeit I think that one has more going for it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it came first, which means The Key to Time is a scaled-up version of The Keys of Marinus. :D

Only you could see it like that CHJ......:rolleyes::D
    doublefour wrote: »
    Yes wasn't the radiation something to do with the sea, thats why they travelled in the capsule things. It's ages since I seen this and it's not a very memorable story either to be fair. I'm not a big fan of the ones that hop about, bit like The Chase (albeit I think that one has more going for it).

No, the Sea was acid, poor Susan nearly lost her foot to it!!!!

:D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked episodes 1 to 4 but I hated the last trial "story" that ran on for 2 episodes.
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoy the Keys of Marinus. I like how self-contained most of the episodes are, how the larger adventure is made up of a series of smaller adventures along the way - makes for some very varied action! Also, if you watch extant first season adventures in order, this is the first one where the Doctor and his companions feel properly bonded as a group, and it is great to see how relaxed and friendly they are with one another, after the tension of some of their earlier adventures. There's a real sense of cameraderie between them in this story. I love seeing the Doctor going in to bat for Ian in his murder trial - and I love seeing how flirty Ian and Barbara are throughout! Plus, Barbara is awesome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way Ian has grown accustomed to the Chinese tunic thingy he acquired in Marco Polo and wears it throughout this story. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeg wrote: »
    I quite enjoy the Keys of Marinus. I like how self-contained most of the episodes are, how the larger adventure is made up of a series of smaller adventures along the way - makes for some very varied action! Also, if you watch extant first season adventures in order, this is the first one where the Doctor and his companions feel properly bonded as a group, and it is great to see how relaxed and friendly they are with one another, after the tension of some of their earlier adventures. There's a real sense of cameraderie between them in this story. I love seeing the Doctor going in to bat for Ian in his murder trial - and I love seeing how flirty Ian and Barbara are throughout! Plus, Barbara is awesome.

I'll have to watch that again, hadn't really noticed that! :eek::D
    I like the way Ian has grown accustomed to the Chinese tunic thingy he acquired in Marco Polo and wears it throughout this story. :D

If it had been the 80's, he would have been stuck with it all Series......:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it had been the 80's, he would have been stuck with it all Series......:D

Funny how the wardrobe room seemed to come and go in those days. :D