Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,664
    Forum Member
    Have decided to do a nice bit of travelling what with a ton of bands doing European tours and conveniently leaving out the UK, so I will be seeing:

- Nightwish in Madrid and Lisbon

- Volbeat in Stockholm and Helsinki

- Blues Pills in Paris and London

- Alter Bridge in London and Barcelona

- Delain in London and Amsterdam

Really looking forward to it :D:D
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have decided to do a nice bit of travelling what with a ton of bands doing European tours and conveniently leaving out the UK, so I will be seeing:

- Nightwish in Madrid and Lisbon

- Volbeat in Stockholm and Helsinki

- Blues Pills in Paris and London

- Alter Bridge in London and Barcelona

- Delain in London and Amsterdam

Really looking forward to it :D:D

I'm going to see Delain in Amsterdam in December as well!! :D:D

But finances dictate...

- Delain in Cardiff

- Blues Pills in Bristol

- Alter Bridge & Volbeat in Cardiff
    Forum Member

But finances dictate...

- Delain in Cardiff

- Blues Pills in Bristol

My ticket for the Delain Amsterdam show arrived today :D:D They've been really bigging it up previously, saying they'll be pulling out all the stops for that show in particular which is why I decided to opt for it rather than a local show, expecting great things!

More off-topic related but Ramblin' Man Fair 2016 went down this weekend, and my god what a great festival. I'll admit it was a bit slow to start with, I really didn't think much of The Dead Daisies despite all the hype behind them, and I have similar thoughts regarding Ginger Wildheart, whilst Terrorvision just flat out sucked the big one no matter how you look at it.

But I must say, from Europe onwards, holyyyyy crap. Who'd have thought back when "The Final Countdown" was released that Europe would stand 30 years later as arguably the most innovative and diverse 80s band remaining, I love how they're always pushing boundaries for their sound and the new material is incredible live (especially Hole In My Pocket imo).

Thin Lizzy, what is there to say? They were fantastic, the songs really speak for themselves, you can tell that's some damn special material when all the original members are gone and only 1 man is left from "the golden days" and yet they still come away as one of the highlights of the entire weekend. Then there was Whitesnake and despite loads of people writing off David Coverdale I thought it was a fab performance, overly long and tedious soloing aside. Particularly enjoyed "Fool For Your Lovin'", "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" and "Here I Go Again", would have put "Still Of The Night" up there too but that's the song which strains DC's voice the most, evidently.

Moving swfitly onto Sunday, missed both Black Stone Cherry and Airbourne's meet-and-great due to a complete lack of information, which was gutting, but The Kentucky Headhunters put on a nice and chilled show, was great that they brought out BSC and Cadillac Three with them to cover The Beatles. The Answer were great and energized us all, then The Cadillac Three brought it back to the relaxed easy-going vibes before Airbourne completely tore the place apart, genuinely wicked stuff and the new song "Breaking Out Of Hell" sounds absolutely superb.

Next up was Thunder who got everyone moving and singing and finally Black Stone Cherry...... yep. They're a band who more than deserve their headline status now. It seemed like the whole festival had converged towards the mainstage to see their inaugral headline festival set and my god, it had energy, it had soul, it had heart (with Chris sounding on the verge of tears at multiple points), it was just absolutely lovely to watch, plus "Soul Machine" really stood out as the highlight. That song has been out about 3 months now and everyone around me knew every word and was singing it as loud as they could. Plus the live debut of "Cheaper To Drink Alone" and the faux pas guitar-less "The Rambler" made this a performance to remember with the entire field singing along to make up for it, just lovely.

I don't know how they're going to top this year with Black Stone Cherry, Airbourne, Thin Lizzy, Thunder and Europe all single-handedly putting last year's entire line-up to shame, but I don't care, I've got my ticket booked :D:D:D

Also thanks to that performance I will now be seeing BSC twice in London in November and 3 times in Spain in January... I may really, really like Black Stone Cherry :blush::D
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say, from Europe onwards, holyyyyy crap. Who'd have thought back when "The Final Countdown" was released that Europe would stand 30 years later as arguably the most innovative and diverse 80s band remaining, I love how they're always pushing boundaries for their sound and the new material is incredible live (especially Hole In My Pocket imo).

Then there was Whitesnake and despite loads of people writing off David Coverdale I thought it was a fab performance, overly long and tedious soloing aside. Particularly enjoyed "Fool For Your Lovin'", "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" and "Here I Go Again", would have put "Still Of The Night" up there too but that's the song which strains DC's voice the most, evidently.

Totally agree about Europe. So many write them off due to "that song" but they are one of the most consistent tight bands out there (and isn't it still the original lineup?). Joey Tempest puts Jon Bon Jovi to shame. Puta every bit of himself out there on stage and you can really tell he loves being out there and still loves singing the old songs just as much whilst still moving forward with the new material.

With Whitesnake, I understand why they do the long solos (to give Coverdale a break with his vocals as he still seems to think he is in his 20s when it comes to pushing his voice) but they really kill the pacing of the set...

Steve
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ticket for the Delain Amsterdam show arrived today :D:D They've been really bigging it up previously, saying they'll be pulling out all the stops for that show in particular which is why I decided to opt for it rather than a local show, expecting great things!

I got our tickets when they went on sale and I was very impressed with the speed at which it arrived. I'm seeing them in Cardiff in November so if I manage to get an update from Martijn I'll let you know!!
    More off-topic related but Ramblin' Man Fair 2016 went down this weekend, and my god what a great festival. I'll admit it was a bit slow to start with, I really didn't think much of The Dead Daisies despite all the hype behind them, and I have similar thoughts regarding Ginger Wildheart, whilst Terrorvision just flat out sucked the big one no matter how you look at it.

We went to Ramblin' Man Fair last year as well as this year and this year's was so much better organised.

I really like The Dead Daisies as they always give 100% when they play. Because they have all been in other bands they play for the enjoyment of it and I think that really comes across live. I guess they were on so early because they were playing an event in Derby in the evening, as well as The Steelhouse Festival in Wales the following day. They certainly put the effort in!!

To be honest I didn't spend too much time on the main stage. Purson and Lifesigns were very good on the Prog Stage. I knew of Purson but had never seen them and I was very impressed. I'd seen Lifesigns before and they are always very solid.

The problem I have with Thin Lizzy is that I saw their final two performances with Phil, so whilst they were OK they aren't a band I'd go and see except at a festival.

We then went to the Rising stage to see Colour of Noise, who were very impressive for such a young band, they have a very bright future,

Europe aren't really my thing at all but they were very good at what they do before going to see Hayseed Dixie in a very packed tent!!

I last saw Whitesnake in 1981 and have no interest in what they are now, so managed to miss them completely!

On Sunday we started off watching The Graveltones and The Kentucky Headhunters on the main stage before seeing King King and Tax The Heat in the Blues tent.

Tax The Heat were the only real clash of the entire weekend for me with The Cadillac Three on the main stage and Von Hertzen Brothers on the Prog stage at the same time. :(

Still, we managed to get most of Von Hertzen Brothers set as we're seeing The Cadillac Three later in the year.

I watched half of Airbourne, the bit where he climbed the rig and the stage guy got all upset was funny. surely they must know what these bands do...:confused:

I then went to see Hawkwind, who were as brilliant as they always are before catching the end of Thunder and finally Black Stone Cherry.

As you say, BSC were worthy headliners and headlining Download can't be too far away for them.

There were certainly far more people there this year compared to last year, I'm sure BSC played a large part in that. We'll be going next year but they'll have to go some to match, let alone beat, this year's lineup!

As we went last year we brought our tickets for Planet Rockstock in December on pre-sale in April, so well before any bands were announced, and it was a real surprise when it was announced on Monday BSC will be headlining!! They also announced British Lion, Steve Harris' solo project as well as Whiskey Meyers, who we missed at RM, Von Hertzen Brothers and Colour of Noise, so that is also looking like a very impressive line-up!
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just booked my ticket for Black Stone Cherry at O2 Shepherds Bush in December.
    I'm really looking forward to it, I've found myself listening to them a lot more since I saw them live in January, especially after the Kentucky release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've just booked my ticket for Black Stone Cherry at O2 Shepherds Bush in December.
    I'm really looking forward to it, I've found myself listening to them a lot more since I saw them live in January, especially after the Kentucky release.

I'm seeing them at Planet Rockstock but I think it will be a great tour. It's been a few years since they've done theatre venues!! :)
    Forum Member
    Yeah Black Stone Cherry are tremendous, unfortunately I'm in Spain in December and January so may have to miss out on Planet Rockstock, though I am tempted to fly back specifically for it with both BSC and The Amorettes playing :blush::D

This upcoming UK tour is slated to be 2 sets as well, one acoustic and 1 fully blasting, no support acts, just an entire night of BSC, so I'd expect the odd deep cut or 2 that rarely see the light of day live. Seeing them again at Ramblin Man made me realise that other than "Me and Mary Jane" they've flat out abandoned the Magic Mountain album, and there are some quite good songs on there I feel, so I hope they decide to play some of those that rarely get to see the light of day.
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nightwish live DVD due out in November. Seems it mainly features two shows from the current tour - Wembley and Tampere. Says full shows on Facebook blurb. Hope so. Would love to experience the Wembley gig again.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a ticket to see Weekend Nachos on October. It'll be their last ever UK show. I am very much looking forward to this. It's also my first gig for a couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl8vJ6jWOQY
  • UKbloke0404UKbloke0404 Posts: 2,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone into the Retro/1970's revival bands?

I.e Blue Pills, Graveyard, Black Mountain, Orchid etc

Blues Pills are great....saw them a couple of years back and tickets just come to see them again in Wolverhampton in November
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But finances dictate...

- Delain in Cardiff

- Blues Pills in Bristol

Seen them twice now, amazing band live and charlotte is so damn good too.

Saw them the second time supporting within temptation another superb live band
    Forum Member
    Blues Pills' new album "Lady in Gold" was released today, had a few playthroughs of it today and I think it's great.

It's not particularly heavy on guitar solos and only has a few riffs which are also very subtle, but this is still a band firing on all cylinders and really bringing back the classic 60s vibes, Elin's voice in particular is ridiculously powerful.

All in all, it gets an 8.5/10 from me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blues Pills' new album "Lady in Gold" was released today, had a few playthroughs of it today and I think it's great.

It's not particularly heavy on guitar solos and only has a few riffs which are also very subtle, but this is still a band firing on all cylinders and really bringing back the classic 60s vibes, Elin's voice in particular is ridiculously powerful.

All in all, it gets an 8.5/10 from me.

I've only had the chance to listen to it a couple of times but I agree. It is a more subtle album compared to the first and they have certainly allowed more of their musical influences to show through.
    Forum Member
    I've only had the chance to listen to it a couple of times but I agree. It is a more subtle album compared to the first and they have certainly allowed more of their musical influences to show through.

So many people are slamming them hard on Facebook, saying they've become commercialized, and that they're now playing pop and that they're already done being "fans" (some fans they were....) just because there aren't many guitar solos.

It's ludicrous, in terms of raw emotion, this album has that in spades over the last album (which I should clarify, I absolutely adore), if anything this album is even more of a pure "blues" album than the previous,and it boggles the mind that people are focusing entirely on the guitar work (or lack thereof) when the rest of the band is on absolute fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many people are slamming them hard on Facebook, saying they've become commercialized, and that they're now playing pop and that they're already done being "fans" (some fans they were....) just because there aren't many guitar solos.

It's ludicrous, in terms of raw emotion, this album has that in spades over the last album (which I should clarify, I absolutely adore), if anything this album is even more of a pure "blues" album than the previous,and it boggles the mind that people are focusing entirely on the guitar work (or lack thereof) when the rest of the band is on absolute fire.

The trouble is, though, those "fans" would only be happy is they made the same album every time and there aren't many bands who would do that, and for a band that is commercial suicide as well as being mind-numbingly boring for the band .

Anyone who actually knew anything about the members of the band would know Elin, for example, is a massive Aretha Franklin fan. Once you know that it is little surprise there is more of a soul and gospel feel to much of her singing on this album.

The first album established them in the public eye but I think this second album, an album that has pretty much been universally acclaimed by the critics, is the "real" Blues Pills. They are also smart enough to know that guitar-driven Blues Rock will only get you so far.
    Forum Member
    Has anyone here ever been to a gig in Japan?

Was just asking as Guns N Roses are currently doing a pre-sale for a show in Tokyo, a city I'd absolutely love to visit, and with GNR playing a reunion show there, I figured I'd finally get my chance.

But it seems that booking a gig ticket in Japan is near impossible if you don't actually live in Japan itself, as it seems you need a Japanese address and a Japanese credit card.

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get around this so I could nab myself a ticket for the show?
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was just asking as Guns N Roses are currently doing a pre-sale for a show in Tokyo, a city I'd absolutely love to visit, and with GNR playing a reunion show there, I figured I'd finally get my chance.

But it seems that booking a gig ticket in Japan is near impossible if you don't actually live in Japan itself, as it seems you need a Japanese address and a Japanese credit card.

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get around this so I could nab myself a ticket for the show?

Try this...
    http://www.tenso.com/en/

Not used it myself but I know that Babymetal fans have used it.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Kerrang earlier & have to say that I am really loving the new Korn track "Rotting in Vain" which is on their upcoming album " The Serenity of Suffering", which comes out next month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really getting in to Volbeat at the moment. They were a band I was aware of and I'd heard a few tracks on Planet Rock but without really bothering to check them out, so as they are supporting Alter Bridge in November I thought it was about time I did!

I've only got their last couple of albums so far, this year's Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie and 2013's Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies and I'm really impressed.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really getting in to Volbeat at the moment. They were a band I was aware of and I'd heard a few tracks on Planet Rock but without really bothering to check them out, so as they are supporting Alter Bridge in November I thought it was about time I did!

I've only got their last couple of albums so far, this year's Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie and 2013's Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies and I'm really impressed.

I had tickets to go see them in December 2010, but they cancelled due to illness.
    Forum Member

I'm seeing them in Stockholm with Airbourne (the first band I ever saw live), should be a cracking gig!!

I personally am getting more and more into Delain, their new album "Moonbathers" is fantastic, anyone here checked it out?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you can hold out on GNR it is looking very, very very likely that the UK will have a stadium tour over the summer. If you're a festival goer as well they're the bookies favourites for Glasto and/or Download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing them in Stockholm with Airbourne (the first band I ever saw live), should be a cracking gig!!

I personally am getting more and more into Delain, their new album "Moonbathers" is fantastic, anyone here checked it out?

Yes, I'm really enjoying it as well!!
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    If you can hold out on GNR it is looking very, very very likely that the UK will have a stadium tour over the summer. If you're a festival goer as well they're the bookies favourites for Glasto and/or Download.

Yeah I'm living in Spain from Wednesday on until the 1st of June 2017, so I suppose I'll just have to keep fingers crossed that they play here on a date where either I'm back in the country, or a date where I can feasibly travel without some kind of overlap with work.

As for Glasto/Download, I can never seem to get tickets for Glasto, it just seems very hard to even come close and they're also always ridiculously expensive given that most people there don't really give a shit about music and there are in reality only about 5-8 good acts per weekend, so not overly sure I'd get a ticket to see GNR at Glasto even if I could manage to acquire one, which I don't think I can.

But with Download, I would definitely go to see GNR, but blimey... the atrocity that was Download 2016, what with organisers seeming to not give a shit about security, mud or trafficking, and going as far as to actively make leaving and entering the festival even more difficult as the weekend progressed... yeah, I'd much rather go see GNR at their own stadium dates rather than have to financially support that kind of carry on again.