Options

If Missy is "The Master" Would You Be Happy?

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Initially at the start of the series I thought missy=short for mistress= female master as many others did, but now I am doubtful she will be, but would be happy for it to be so.. It would be 1000 times better than it being some dark side of Clara or the doctor, or part of one of their minds as others have suggested. that kind of thing would just be utter tosh and a complete anti climax in my opinion.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Not bothered, but I don't see the point. There's already a female time lord villain, waiting in the wings. And we all know who that is.

The only reason I can see to do it would be to prepare the way for a female Doctor at some point in the future. And there too, there's a female time lord heroine waiting in the wings.

I hope Missy has something to do with the woman in the shop and that she's an otherwise brand new character.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too easy & obvious to have the Master as someone a bit sinister & satanic, if that persona is supposed to be a disguise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I definitely would not be happy. As a woman, I like strong female characters but I also like things to make sense. There is no reason for the Master to become a woman after it's been established over decades that he's a male and I have no wish to see him become a woman any more than I would want Captain Janeway, Dana Scully or any other female character to become a male. And I definitely don't want to see the Doctor become a woman either.

I also don't agree with change simply for the purpose of creating controversy or getting people in an uproar to create publicity.

To me, it would be a real act of arrogance on Moffat's part to change the Master's gender and I would definitely think twice about continuing to watch the show even though I do like Capaldi.

I'm just hoping that she's some new, interesting villain.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I definitely would not be happy. As a woman, I like strong female characters but I also like things to make sense. There is no reason for the Master to become a woman after it's been established over decades that he's a male and I have no wish to see him become a woman any more than I would want Captain Janeway, Dana Scully or any other female character to become a male. And I definitely don't want to see the Doctor become a woman either.
    It's also been established that Time Lords can change gender.

Also by that reckoning The Doctor has always been a white man with a British accent but that doesn't mean black actor with a American accent couldn't be a good Doctor.

And some people have said if they ever cast a black actor they will stop watching as The Doctor has always been white.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    It's also been established that Time Lords can change gender.

By Moffat. I know of no occasion in the Classic series where it was "established" that Time Lords can change gender. Changing either the Master or Doctor into a woman is simply for the purpose of political correctness or to create controversy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    By Moffat. I know of no occasion in the Classic series where it was "established" that Time Lords can change gender. Changing either the Master or Doctor into a woman is simply for the purpose of political correctness or to create controversy.

Maybe so but again some have said the only reason to hire a black actor will be for political correctness or to create controversy I have read that on these very forums over the years.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was it established that a Time Lord can change gender?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »

The Doctors Wife was the first time I can recall it getting a mention
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I'd be Grumpy.

Because I prefer it to be something more original.

Like what?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »

I don't know about changing gender, but in the classic series didn't the Master have the ability to use somebody else's body in one of the stories?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You see it's comments like yours that really pee me off about the DW forums. Unless posters think in a PC, "modern" way then we're either "not into the show", sexist, racist, bigots, narrow minded and so on. My view is I do not want anything altered about how the show is. Yes there are regenerations but never anything fundamentally different. I have this opinion and it's mine to have, not yours to diss. If you think a female Master or Doctor is fine then thjat's your opinion. One you're entitled to. I have no issue with any actor or actress. Their capabilities are never questioned by me. It's the very essence of changing what the show is, to me, that I object to. FYI, I'm 46, and I have been watching DW religiously since 1974 and have seen all the previous episodes prior to that too. Is that being "into it" enough?

God, I hate patronisers. They really wind me up.

*Applauds*
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not, criticising the actress but the way the character comes across to me, so far, is that she reminds me of the dominatrix played by Lara Pulver, in a ' Sherlock' episode so maybe some pages got mixed up, on someone's desk.
    I don't, want to see a female doctor because it would be as daft as if Captain Kirk, was played by a woman. Yes I know, the doctor regenerates but he's a bloke. If The Master is played by a female then maybe but at the moment it looks as if the Master's going to be a Mistress. I'm going to be confused, expecting her to have a whip and to keep inviting the Doctor out for dinner.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You see it's comments like yours that really pee me off about the DW forums. Unless posters think in a PC, "modern" way then we're either "not into the show", sexist, racist, bigots, narrow minded and so on.

No-one has said that. You're the one that brought gender into it, the post you're criticising merely commented on your rejection of a particular choice of actor.

To put it another way, if the post was "If Danny turns out to be the Master it would be lazy and unimaginative and I'll never watch the show again" would apply just as much. Either way, there must already be an overwhelming amount of stuff you don't like about the programme for the casting of one character in two episodes and a handful of cameos to tip the balance.

If your complaint is based solely on the fact that Michelle Gomez is female, however, then that is a political stance based on a pre-judgement, not on the story, and that's also a bad line of argument.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Even if she wasn't in the next series, this would still be the last series you'd ever watch, wizzywick?!
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind..but I'd prefer her to be someone people hadn't guessed early on.

..then again..pretty much every variation of who she could be has been guessed at some point.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a poll option that fits my attitude...

I'm not particularly keen on a returning Master/Mistress, but if SM made a decent job of writing something worthwhile for such a M/M to work within, then I'd be happy enough - specifically I don't want a replay of RTD wasting the talents of John Simm on playing a giggling idiot.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted "yes"..on the condition it's done well. I'm cautiously still putting my money on this being the case.
    And some people have said if they ever cast a black actor they will stop watching as The Doctor has always been white.
    Calling it now; when it happens (and I'm sure it eventually will), the new Doctor will be looking in a mirror all shocked/excited before remarking on a new eye colour or nose size or some other such misdirecting nonsense. No way will he suddenly explicitly acknowledge the change in skin colour.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Gomez is a terrific actor, which is the most important thing, who I think could bring a fresh take to the role so I would be happy if that was the case.

This. To me the Master should be the mirror of the Doctor with all of the likability and charm to boot but only right at the end do you realise the true nature behind the smile.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Really not sure to be honest. Would prefer if she wasn't the Master though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because Master is male and time lords are not sexless species.

But she could deffinitely be Rani or Romana.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Not, criticising the actress but the way the character comes across to me, so far, is that she reminds me of the dominatrix played by Lara Pulver, in a ' Sherlock' episode so maybe some pages got mixed up, on someone's desk.
    I don't, want to see a female doctor because it would be as daft as if Captain Kirk, was played by a woman. Yes I know, the doctor regenerates but he's a bloke. If The Master is played by a female then maybe but at the moment it looks as if the Master's going to be a Mistress. I'm going to be confused, expecting her to have a whip and to keep inviting the Doctor out for dinner.

BIB: Actually, Captain Kirk was once played by a woman in the original series episode "Turnabout Intruder". In that story he was body swapped with a mad female scientist. :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    BIB: Actually, Captain Kirk was once played by a woman in the original series episode "Turnabout Intruder". In that story he was body swapped with a mad female scientist. :)

:D Nice camp performance from Shatner. (I mean slightly more camp than usual.) Not dissing him or the original series, there. Love it.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if she wasn't in the next series, this would still be the last series you'd ever watch, wizzywick?!

I wouldn't be happy about watching it so wouldn't. I was very unhappy when it was revealed River Song was Amy's daughter. I nearly gave up watching it after that. But my partner persuaded me to give it a go and whilst I'm not over the moon about the River/Amy relationship I do concede that it was not really that big a deal in the context of the show. Having a female master suddenly thrust upon us is merely one step towards a female Doctor and that is not what the show is about. So, yes, if Missy is The Master, regardless as to whether she's in the next series or not, I will stop watching Doctor Who because it would have become a ruined, different show to what I have enjoyed these past 40 years.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your complaint is based solely on the fact that Michelle Gomez is female, however, then that is a political stance based on a pre-judgement, not on the story, and that's also a bad line of argument.

But Michelle Gomez is female! :confused:
    Her capabilities is not what I am questioning.I have never commented upon her performance other than to agree with others that she is excellent. But I simply do not want a female Master or Doctor regardless as to who is playing the role and how good they are. End of. I realise your viewpoints on this as you have expressed the same long-winded sermons several times so I ask you respectfully to accept my viewpoint in the same way I have come to accept yours.