Selling a Steam Account

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of getting rid of mine as I never play the games and have £180 worth of games on there.

The only problem is, my main profile name can't be changed and it's the same as my other gaming platforms. Is there a way to change that?

And is it wise to sell a steam account?

Thanks

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's against their TOS and if they catch you selling it you will be banned, so you will lose all the games you bought.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a thing where you can sell/give away individual games? Might be a better option...
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Isn't there a thing where you can sell/give away individual games? Might be a better option...

You can trade/give away keys on 3rd party websites, you cannot trade or sell activated keys.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Its not really worth it. IF you can sell it you wont get much for it at all. Have a look on ebay. Loads on there, barely any interest.

Your better off hanging on to it. You may well change your mind in the future and want to play a game on steam anyway.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious... how much do these accounts go for?? :o:blush:
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a website once where they were selling empty accounts, or accounts with very few games. The attraction was that they had early account ID numbers/were old accounts. It's a thing that some collectors want, and I think sometimes scammers too.

Here's one where people are trying sell them with games on - https://www.playerauctions.com/steam-account/ (weird - link sends me to WoW accounts even though I googled "Steam accounts for sale" and clicking on it from the Google results page shows Steam accounts for sale) Don't like the chances of those going for $3999. My account has more games and a higher Steam price and I don't think I've even spent $3999 on it. Sales and bundles can ramp that "worth" up.

There's a big risk involved in buying accounts. There's an account recovery process for lost/stolen accounts where you can get your account back if you know some of the cd keys that were activated on it or financial information. So if you ever buy one the original account owner could in theory reclaim their account and say it was stolen. Not worth it. - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5421-QTFB-3090
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always pass it on to your kids one day , id keep hold of it, i stopped playing for about 5 years and came back to it :)