Options

Would you disown a family member?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zmikeo wrote: »
    My O/H has been disowned by her sister !
    what more can I say, because of the mother we have tried to contact through mail and phone with no results and as we aren't bothered we have given up.
    It was awkward but we find it funny now as she will avoid us if they see us and take her two kids to avoid us.
    Only 2 years ago we used to live a good stones throw from each other and use the same shops. Not often nearly colliding and at that time for some reason we used to help with the not seeing each other. I used to joke that she must have CCTV so she new if we were at the shops.
    But now if there is any avoiding to do they must do, which they did about 2 weeks ago. We were in a Toby Carvery and they came in, upon seeing us they departed and hopefully didn't find anywhere else to eat:D .
    The Kids are still allowed to meet with the Grandmother as the Go-between:D
    Thats the trouble with religion in families, their religion
    Getting close to 10 years and ongoing :yawn:

[highlight]Families Don't you just hate them[/highlight]

Why is she from a different religion?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way i only know of 2 people who disowned their children, one because their daughter ran away, and then made lies up, as they wanted her back, and threatened to ruin their name in court. They then decided as she clearly disliked them/had no feelings for them to do that, there was no point in keeping touch, its been 30 years! They know nothing!

The other because the daughter ran away with a man with her kids
  • Options
    sarumsarum Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kassiknorr wrote: »
    No, but I have been disowned.

Doesn't bother me now, though. :o

I've been disowned by my brother, and one of my uncles.

Although I love my family very much, neither of those are a great loss to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ignore me lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some family members I wish didn't exist but I don't really need to disown them. If I don't want them in my life I just don't mix with them.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some family members I wish didn't exist but I don't really need to disown them. If I don't want them in my life I just don't mix with them.

If I'm honest that is me.

I'm just really pee'd off at my cousin right now. What really happened last week-end, with 30 witnesses to prove it as opposed to what he *thinks* happened & the way he treated his mum as a result is pretty poor:(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose so... if they had done something so heinous that I could not, in good conscience, continue to associate with them. It would have to be pretty bad though and I would have to be convinced of their guilt in order to make a conscious decision to disown them.
  • Options
    CeriseCerise Posts: 1,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are members of my family that I am civil to for my grandparents sake, but as soon as they're dead, not the minute or anything, but a weekish, i'll let rip, and god help them all. I've held my tongue for too long.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get on with most of my family (on my mother's side, love my inlaws) but I wouldn't go so far as to disown them as I don't care enough to do that, I just haven't seen them for many years

If any of them ever came sniffing round though they would be told in no uncertain terms to f**k off!
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly NEVER have anything to do with a family member who was cruel to animals or children.

I have also virtually disowned my grown up step-daughter as she made my life a misery for the ten years she lived with me and her father - stealing my credit card, lying, thieving, letting drug-dealing and criminal boy-friends into the house when we were both at work and allowing them to steal my jewellery and other valuables.
    The police always seemed to be at the house for something she'd done. She was a nightmare.

She seems to have settled down a bit now and doesn't live with us any more thank God - but I could never feel OK about her. I just don't want anything to do with her. When she walks into a room I walk out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Yes, already done so and it's quite easy to do.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sarum wrote: »
    I've been disowned by my brother, and one of my uncles.

Although I love my family very much, neither of those are a great loss to me.

Same here. My aunt disowned me, about ten years ago. Since then, I haven't really looked back.

I found her to be extremely snobbish anyway, and we had nothing in common, so it is no loss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, the whole lot of them.

Depends what they have done really. Any major crimes I would anyway
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have decided to give up on my brother :(, I can honestly say that i have tried everything i can to try and get on with him.

He is constantly competing for attention and has been around my dads whole family telling tales and gossiping, He takes part truths and blows them out of proportion and adds in his own made up facts.

I don't feel the need to compete, All i ever wanted was what's best for him :( I don't want to make a big thing of it, I just know until he grows up a bit i can't have any form of family relations with him.

We are 31 and 28, He acts like 13-14 (calling me boy and mocking everything). I just don't want this mania passed out among our children into future family feuds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I disown ? only if they did something I am truly against.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they had done something terrible.

My Oh's sister disowns family members on a regular basis. If she doesn't get her own way, usually when asking for money she says things like 'you're no brother of mine'. She's in the process of telling everyone she only has five years to live now and if we're not sympathetic enough we're disowned. (none of it is true!) She tends to forget she's disowned people when she wants something! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 'disowned' by a very close family member when I was a kid.

They 'took me back' after 4 years, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get on with most of my family (on my mother's side, love my inlaws) but I wouldn't go so far as to disown them as I don't care enough to do that, I just haven't seen them for many years

If any of them ever came sniffing round though they would be told in no uncertain terms to f**k off!

I don't get on with most of my fathers side. In fact all the grandchildren were disinherited out of a substantial amount of money because of the actions of one of my cousins, and my grandmother didn't want to be seen to taking sides.:rolleyes: So we all lose out. I wish she'd spent it herself and be done with it to be honest. But there are members of my dads side who as soon as they heard I was off to Uni came sniffing around asking for favours, one even asked me to do some coursework he was meant to do for an adult learnign course because he wanted to go to the pub. This is after ignoring em and my brother for years, for no good reason. They're just scum and i'd rather have nothing to do with them all.
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Stressmonkey - what did the family member do? the closer they are, the harder it is to disown them and maybe bring them back into the fold.

Good luck
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have most DS members been disowned or something???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have most DS members been disowned or something???

Yes. The 20 or so posters in this thread are the majority of DS's users.
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cerise wrote: »
    Yes. The 20 or so posters in this thread are the majority of DS's users.

20 is a high number for a post with about 25/30 people posting in it.

Are you mad because I said something to you in another thread? Boohoo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 is a high number for a post with about 25/30 people posting in it.

Are you mad because I said something to you in another thread? Boohoo.

It's hardly suprising that the majority of posters in this thread about disowning family, have been affected or have an opinion on the subject. And out of the THOUSANDS of DS FM's, it's hardly most.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been 'disowned' by my son and his family, he has also disowned one of his sisters but speaks to the other one. I can live with that but I have a grandson I don't see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister has disowned my mother but I think shes just over-reacting to be honest. I would like to walk away from my family and never see/speak to them again at times, but they're family, I will try with them until I really can't do it anymore.