Thomas Law to return as Peter Beale?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
theres no question of the producers not considering it, as they have A- recast Martin Fowler (which should never of happened IMO) B- they brought back Daniella Westbrook as Sam (another f**k up as her character had huge development with Kim Metcalf)

It seems inconceivable that Peter would not return after Kathy comes back to the square for good. so surely the writers will need him back, but obviously Ben Hardy has now found some success in Hollywood, would Thomas Law come back ? i always thought he was the better Peter to be honest. not to mention a better actor.

Comments

• HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hoped Ben Hardy would be great but I never was impressed by him

It would really go against continuity but I wish they'd hire a real East end lad for the role. He's a Beale. He's meant to be working class.

So I wouldnt have Thomas Law back either.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wpuld like eother to return. I definatly think peter should be brought back with Lauren
    But only if either actor returns and not a completly new one.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didn't have much choice with the Martin recast as James Alexandrou wasn't interested in returning (he gave his endorsement of James Bye on Twitter). Plus the constant references to Martin by Sonia in the script painted them into a corner. Her marital problems were given a running commentary for months so would've been nonsensical to never have him appear. Alternatively they would've had Martin and Sonia separate off screen.

Re Peter they should keep the door open for Thomas Law if he's up for a return. The actor turnover would be pretty high if they were to recast the role again.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they'd go for another beefcake if they were to recast Peter so unless Thomas Law has bulked up, I can't see him having any chance at all.

Recasts are rubbish anyway. The casting department should shape up and cast actors they are confident won't have their head turned at their first opportunity. I don't know why I should be expected to suspend my disbelief further *cough Kathy cough* by going along with the fact Lauren/Peter/Martin have new faces. If the actor portraying an old character refuses to return, tough shit. Go back to the drawing board.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope they cast a good actor. Thomas Law and Ben Hardy were both awful in the role of Peter Beale. A third recast wouldn't surprise me but it all depends how soon they want him back.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Martin recast is one of the best ever imo. I genuinely forget that he was ever played by anyone else.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I believe they'd go for another beefcake if they were to recast Peter so unless Thomas Law has bulked up, I can't see him having any chance at all.

Recasts are rubbish anyway. The casting department should shape up and cast actors they are confident won't have their head turned at their first opportunity. I don't know why I should be expected to suspend my disbelief further *cough Kathy cough* by going along with the fact Lauren/Peter/Martin have new faces. If the actor portraying an old character refuses to return, tough shit. Go back to the drawing board.

pretty sure there was photos of Thomas and he looks hunky now and he was a far superior actor to Ben
  • johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my god no the guy was a wet blanket

or am i offending wet blankets with my comment jesus
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,278
    Forum Member
    I would prefer a return for Steven over Peter.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is that even possible?, of course they aren't going to hire someone who will want to leave after a few months but they don't sign actors automatically down to 5 year contracts. They cannot stop actors wanting to leave, Ben Hardy did nearly two years, which wasn't that long but during that time was involved in one of the biggest stories the Beale family and Eastenders will do. Personally another recast is too soon so unless Ben wants to return I doubt we will see Peter Beale for a few years.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    How is that even possible?, of course they aren't going to hire someone who will want to leave after a few months but they don't sign actors automatically down to 5 year contracts. They cannot stop actors wanting to leave, Ben Hardy did nearly two years, which wasn't that long but during that time was involved in one of the biggest stories the Beale family and Eastenders will do. Personally another recast is too soon so unless Ben wants to return I doubt we will see Peter Beale for a few years.

It's not an exact science but even in interviews for entry-level jobs, there's an element of the employer getting to know your personality. I just feel seasoned casting directors would be able to get a feel for whether a prospective member of the cast would be tempted to leave for even a risky project, or whether they're more likely to want to settle down in EE for the foreseeable future. If you have a family, you'd probably enjoy the regular work that EE provides so would fall into the latter category. The younger actors with generally less responsibility might be keen to try new things elsewhere.

With that in mind, perhaps with the younger actors, you should take a less long-term approach to planning stories for them. I assume the character of Peter wouldn't have left the show had Ben Hardy not asked to leave; he would have stayed on the Square being a thorn in the rest of the Beales' side. However, Ben Hardy did leave and the writers have to deal with that. Deciding to replace him in the role of Peter with a new face just because "OMGZ, imagine if Peter and Lauren returns to save Max!!!!", I don't think is on. There's a skill to dealing with the cards that are dealt to you and in contrast, replacing actors Doctor-Who style and resurrecting characters to do what you originally planned is lazy.
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought for a minute you guys were talking about Pete Beale Senior

With his catchphrase e'llo treacle
  • Brad_AdamsonBrad_Adamson Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Peter was a huge part in the Lucy storyline which is still ongoing. I don't think a recast would happen until the story has been over for a few years
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    theres no question of the producers not considering it, as they have A- recast Martin Fowler (which should never of happened IMO) B- they brought back Daniella Westbrook as Sam (another f**k up as her character had huge development with Kim Metcalf)

It seems inconceivable that Peter would not return after Kathy comes back to the square for good. so surely the writers will need him back, but obviously Ben Hardy has now found some success in Hollywood, would Thomas Law come back ? i always thought he was the better Peter to be honest. not to mention a better actor.

I've always thought Thomas Law was the better Peter, I really started to like Ben Hardy as Peter during EastEnders 30th week though. He did brilliantly, so it was a shame he left just after. I definitely wouldn't say no to a Thomas Law return as Peter! :)