Options

Should Doctor Who news be confined to the spoiler thread?

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
With debate raging in the wake of Osgood's return, I put it to you whether official Doctor Who news should be confirmed to the board's spoiler thread or kept behind spoiler tags. Should varying levels of personal spoiler tolerance be adhered to, or is it fair game for open discussion once it comes out of Moffat's mouth?

You be the judge!

Should Doctor Who news be confined to the spoiler thread? 57 votes

Yes - it's not fair if you don't want to know
24% 14 votes
No - if it's official, it shouldn't be hidden
75% 43 votes

Comments

• Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say it's fair game once it has been announced in a press release or official interview. The whole purpose of such news is to get people talking openly about it and spread excitement for the new series.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's not spoilers because the BBC don't consider it so.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once it's been announced as News by the BBC then people should be free to discuss it in non spoiler threads.

Some consideration could be used by the Thread starters for their titles though.

Surprise return of Dead character in Series 9

rather than

Osgood's Alive and back in Series 9

maybe.

Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers will click on the first option anyway and those that want to remain in the dark can just avoid it.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Once it's been announced as News by the BBC then people should be free to discuss it in non spoiler threads.

Some consideration could be used by the Thread starters for their titles though.

Surprise return of Dead character in Series 9

rather than

Osgood's Alive and back in Series 9

maybe.

Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers will click on the first option anyway and those that want to remain in the dark can just avoid it.

I've never had a thing about spoilers, within reason, and would say what's announced by the Beeb is fair enough to be talked about, but that's a good post. Maybe a bit of circumspection in thread titles, as you suggest, to take the spoilerphobes into consideration. And the Spoilers and info thread does cover most things as the series is being filmed.

I'll get splinters from all this fence sitting!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a perfectly decent spoiler and news thread. Makes sense to use that for all related info. Alas some people seem to think they're 'breaking news' by blurting something they've just read on Twitter or another website. If people must do this then a bit of discretion with thread titles isn't asking a lot. Personally I don't think anything officially released counts as a spoiler but it doesn't take much to cater for those that might think otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a perfectly decent spoiler and news thread. Makes sense to use that for all related info. Alas some people seem to think they're 'breaking news' by blurting something they've just read on Twitter or another website. If people must do this then a bit of discretion with thread titles isn't asking a lot. Personally I don't think anything officially released counts as a spoiler but it doesn't take much to cater for those that might think otherwise.

Why should people have to be discrete about something which clearly isn't a spoiler? If you go on a forum site, then you should expect to see the latest news debated and discussed.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    What? No-one's been asking for it to be "confined to the spoiler thread".

Just take a little care and common sense in choosing appropriate thread titles for any new threads you create. That's all we've been asking for.

So, uh, I don't believe this but I'm reluctantly going to vote NO.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? No-one's been asking for it to be "confined to the spoiler thread".

Yes they have.
    GDK wrote: »

It matters not if it was an official press release. There are news sites and a thread in this very forum for those who must know simply everything in advance. Use the spoiler thread please. It's a simple courtesy.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This forum is effectively an open letters page for an online magazine that exists to report on developments and events in entertainment. One of it's primary purposes is to provide a place for discussion of the articles it publishes, so I think it is ludicrous to expect censorship of thread titles that are doing just that. The name 'Digital Spy' should be a big clue as to what to expect from a 'Digital Spy' forum?
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I guess there are different leagues of spoilers then...

There are those spoilers that the production team don't want people to know about, discovered by leaked news or episodes, people reporting from filming etc and those which the production team are happy to release to the public to promote the series, or for whatever reason.

Personally I don't like spoilers and for that reason don't use the spoiler thread. I am however perfectly happy for news that is officially published by the BBC and appears on the front of page of DS and other sites to be discussed out in the open because there is no way for me to avoid that news. Even if I managed to avoid reading it on this site I can bet it will be featured in trailers or promos for next weeks episode etc. I also assume that the production team would know better than me what would spoil my enjoyment of the show and carefully choose which information to release.

People have been discussing news releases for years on this forum, and if you go over to the soaps forum you will find plenty of threads discussing and speculating about upcoming stories that have been promoted so I am at a loss as to why this is suddenly even an issue on this particular sub-forum.

There is an assumed risk by even coming to forums like this when discussing Doctor Who. I prefer to watch GoT cold so I avoid reading any news about it on this site or going anywhere near the GoT forum.

If people are so bothered about it then whey not separate out the spoiler thread? So spoilers is one thread and news or press releases or whatever is another.

Surely I'm not alone in not wanting to discuss spoilers but being quite happy to talk about press releases?
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yes they have.

Oops. My mistake. Well, I still think that's going a bit too far. Just a little care is all that's needed. There's no need to restrict the actual discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply: no.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because it is easier to find information related to the new series. The spoiler thread is now mostly a speculation thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    This forum is effectively an open letters page for an online magazine that exists to report on developments and events in entertainment. One of it's primary purposes is to provide a place for discussion of the articles it publishes, so I think it is ludicrous to expect censorship of thread titles that are doing just that. The name 'Digital Spy' should be a big clue as to what to expect from a 'Digital Spy' forum?
    Indeed. A rule which prevents DS forum members from openly discussing DS editorial content would be too restrictive. It would stifle discussion of the new series if anyone who happens to mention a detail from an official press release, interview, trailer or publicity shot gets shouted down for posting "spoilers".
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but a little care and thought should be applied when choosing thread titles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    No, but a little care and thought should be applied when choosing thread titles.

Not when it's not a spoiler.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should people have to be discrete about something which clearly isn't a spoiler? If you go on a forum site, then you should expect to see the latest news debated and discussed.

Yes and in an appproapriate thread.

Maybe some people enjoy coming here to discuss old episodes and trivia etc but are trying their best to remain in the dark about as much as possible for the new series?
    I don't understand it myself but who am I or anyone else to say?

As such when it comes to thread titles

'Guess Who is returning in S9...'
    is just as easy to type as
    'OMG Osgood is back in episode 7' and means everyone's happy. I realise not seeing everything in black and white is a bit of a challenge for a lot of Doctor Who fans who are often, hmmmm how do I put this? 'slightly on the spectrum somwhere or other' but it's really not complex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and in an appproapriate thread.

Maybe some people enjoy coming here to discuss old episodes and trivia etc but are trying their best to remain in the dark about as much as possible for the new series?
    I don't understand it myself but who am I or anyone else to say?

As such when it comes to thread titles

'Guess Who is returning in S9...'
    is just as easy to type as
    'OMG Osgood is back in episode 7' and means everyone's happy. I realise not seeing everything in black and white is a bit of a challenge for a lot of Doctor Who fans who are often, hmmmm how do I put this? 'slightly on the spectrum somwhere or other' but it's really not complex.
    But this wouldn't be limited to thread titles. Anyone who mentions the return of Osgood (or Zygon Osgood) anywhere outside the "spoiler" threads would be in breach of this unworkable rule. Also, who is going to enforce it? DS is hardly going to censor people for mentioning DS editorial content.

It seems bizarre that DS can have a photo of Ingrid in costume on the front page, yet DS forum members are expected to allude cryptically to the news.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this wouldn't be limited to thread titles. Anyone who mentions the return of Osgood (or Zygon Osgood) anywhere outside the "spoiler" threads would be in breach of this unworkable rule. Also, who is going to enforce it? DS is hardly going to censor people for mentioning DS editorial content.

It seems bizarre that DS can have a photo of Ingrid in costume on the front page, yet DS forum members are expected to allude cryptically to the news.

Indeed. Spot on be more pacific, spot on.
    I can't help thinking that, if you genuinely want to avoid finding anything out about the upcoming season of Doctor Who you'd have to avoid all media and television between now and September!
    Furthermore, if you really wanted to avoid all publicity about the new season then coming onto a Doctor Who forum (which exists purely to talk about Doctor Who), seems a somewhat foolish thing to do...
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Once something has been officially announced by the very people who would want to keep real spoilers a secret you can't really class it as a spoiler.

The BBC are never going to reveal secret plot related stuff that would ruin an episode, but when they let out little details such as the return of Missy/Osgood/ zygons they do so because they WANT people to hear about it and share it to whet people's appetite for the return of the show and keep them interested during the wait for it's return.

I agree if you've seen something that has not been officially announced, that someone has found out through watching filming, or through someone off the set, or a leaked script then yes it should be confined to the spoiler thread or at least be in spoiler tags in whichever thread posted.

In the instance such as the one in this topic though, absolutely no, if it's been announced, it's not a spoiler, it's general news that the BBC wants you to know. No discussion of it should be stifled, no thread titles should have to be cryptic, as it is public knowledge and should be able to be freely talked about. If anyone really dosen't want to know anything even that's so small a detail that even the BBC thinks it's ok to share, then they should avoid all forums and probably newspapers for that matter as it is the only way they are ever going to do it.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    If an announcement is made via the BBC or a TV Magazine - I class it as a non-spoiler on such as this forum. Simple as that. It has been revealed to the public!
    When I read that William Hartnell turns into Pat Troughton - that may be a spoiler for some young people who haven't seen it yet - but it is common knowledge!
    Some spoilers spoil it for certain people - who don't read the newspapers or watch TV or use a computer (??) - so sad for them. Life must be hard.
    I love to know what's coming up next TBH!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love to know what's coming up next TBH!! :)

I'll give you a clue: the TARDIS is going to be in series 9. :p

(Hope that wasn't a massive spoiler for the spoilerphobes out there! :D)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I'll give you a clue: the TARDIS is going to be in series 9. :p

(Hope that wasn't a massive spoiler for the spoilerphobes out there! :D)

Don't know if I should be mentioning this so openly but word has it that Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be reprising their roles as the 12th doctor and Clara respectively, and the series is said to heavily include such themes as time travel and world saving :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if I should be mentioning this so openly but word has it that Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be reprising their roles as the 12th doctor and Clara respectively, and the series is said to heavily include such themes as time travel and world saving :D

I'd have never suspected that. :o

Take your spoilers elsewhere, blue box! ;-)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think it's clear that those that absolutely want to know nothing about the series going in, while they exist, are still in a small minority.

I don't think the rule is something requiring being enforced, but I would support the attitude of Corwin and others, in that it's nice to not give the game away in the thread title - and equally that spoilerphobes are aware that just by visiting, they might see information they don't want to.

Other than that, I agree that official BBC material is fair game.