Medium Colin Fry died.

Comments

• Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of bad timing in our local rag last night.

They were promoting a upcoming evening with Colin Fry locally.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I don't know how tall he was but I'm guessing he'll have a medium sized coffin.

Ba-dum tish. Sorry couldn't resist :D
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's bad that anyone dies at 53 - far too young these days when people are living well into their mid 90s.

But let's face it, Colin's act was just that an act. A stage act.

There is no afterlife. When you're dead you're dead. If we did die and 'go to Heaven', then where would all that end?

Eternal life as a spirit? Or an angel? I'm not sure what's worse, existing forever with no release, or being dead as a doornail.
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I don't know how tall he was but I'm guessing he'll have a medium sized coffin.

Ba-dum tish. Sorry couldn't resist :D

He looked about 5 foot 6.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad that anyone dies at 53 - far too young these days when people are living well into their mid 90s.

But let's face it, Colin's act was just that an act. A stage act.

There is no afterlife. When you're dead you're dead. If we did die and 'go to Heaven', then where would all that end?

Eternal life as a spirit? Or an angel? I'm not sure what's worse, existing forever with no release, or being dead as a doornail.

He looked about 5 foot 6.

Wow, such confidence in your belief that there is no afterlife! I don't know if there is or isn't life after death but neither do you. It always bemuses me when people quite categorically state one way or the other about the subject but I do think that Colin Fry brought a sense of peace to people grieving so hard for loved ones. I think if they want to part with THEIR money, that's rather up to them. 53 is no age at all and I am sure those close to him loved him very much and will be grieving themselves for him. I've found a number of posts on the topic crass and tasteless and says a good deal about those who have posted them, you know who you are. Sleep well Colin.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloozy wrote: »
    Wow, such confidence in your belief that there is no afterlife! I don't know if there is or isn't life after death but neither do you. It always bemuses me when people quite categorically state one way or the other about the subject but I do think that Colin Fry brought a sense of peace to people grieving so hard for loved ones. I think if they want to part with THEIR money, that's rather up to them. 53 is no age at all and I am sure those close to him loved him very much and will be grieving themselves for him. I've found a number of posts on the topic crass and tasteless and says a good deal about those who have posted them, you know who you are. Sleep well Colin.

My other point was, if there were an afterlife (as you no doubt hope there is), then would you like to wander the air for eternity with no purpose other than to 'talk' to mediums?:o

And what would you use to see with? Your eyes would be in the coffin! :p

Is there no sex in the afterlife? Again, horror! :p And considering how many people who have been born and died since the year Dot, there must be trillions upon trillions and trillions of souls wandering aimlessly...

What would be the point starting off as a human and then moving to a spirit world?

Sorry but the whole thing is a joke.
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    What do you call a psychic midget who has escaped from prison?

A small medium at large.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know for certain that nice fellow who emailed me the other day ISN'T a high ranking official in the Bank of Nigeria needing my help to claim £7M Great British Pounds but I could take a good guess based on the available evidence. Same as I don't know for certain there is no afterlife, but the evidence is pretty conclusive.

And I certainly won't be sending him my bank details & the £120 processing fee he requested on his say so.

But hundreds of people do. Or get drawn into Ponzi schemes or MLM. Or fall for young men/women from overseas who 'may' need you to help with their visa/rent/medical bills in return for their undying, eternal love.

Same as many get taken in by the huge con that is Religion, especially the Evangelicals (where you can be ostracised for not tithing), the money cults (Scientology and its ilk) and Spiritualism/mediumship/clairvoyancey, where the 'mark' feeds the bank account or ego - or usually both - of the conman/woman.

It is all the same. Where there is a need, it can be exploited. Be that greed, grief, lonleyness or any of a myriad of perfectly normal human conditions. And make no mistake, Colin 'The Trumpet' Fry was one of the worst for exploiting people. I would firmly put him in the same category as my 'very honest god fearing christian friend' the Chief of the Bank of Nigeria. And shed just the same number of tears at his passing.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I do think that Colin Fry brought a sense of peace to people grieving so hard for loved ones. I think if they want to part with THEIR money, that's rather up to them.

Indeed, Crack and heroine bring a sense of peace to people who are desperately unhappy and if they want to give their money to drug dealers you can't blame the dealer
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, available evidence (or the complete lack thereof) makes the afterlife incredibly improbable. It is amusing that all the frauds who claim to be in contact with the afterlife hide behind a disclaimer which states their work is "for entertainment purposes".

Now, think about it logically for a moment. If somebody could actually prove the existence of life after death, they would win a Nobel Prize. It would be the greatest scientific breakthrough in history. It would change how humanity comprehends life and death.

But instead of any of that happening, we just have grubby little entertainers passing on fake messages from "spirits" who are conspicuously incapable of giving specific names and verifiable details.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Indeed, Crack and heroine bring a sense of peace to people who are desperately unhappy and if they want to give their money to drug dealers you can't blame the dealer

Ah come on, not comparable whatsoever.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought it was a pretty good analogy and I thought platlet drew it pretty well.

Both drugs and 'messages' fill a need, both ultimately are harmful (the messages prevent the grieving process), and both are used to exploit the vulnerable by those without conscience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a pretty good analogy and I thought platlet drew it pretty well.

Both drugs and 'messages' fill a need, both ultimately are harmful (the messages prevent the grieving process), and both are used to exploit the vulnerable by those without conscience.

Sorry, don't think it's comparable whatsoever. Our opinions just differ.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, don't think it's comparable whatsoever. Our opinions just differ.
    Except one person is clearly stating the parallels while the other (you) just rejects the comparison without putting forward a cogent rebuttal.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

I thought it a very astute comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except one person is clearly stating the parallels while the other (you) just rejects the comparison without putting forward a cogent rebuttal.

Sorry not sure what kind of a rebuttal you want. I'll try...

I don't think drug dealers are in any way comparable to the late Colin Fry and in fact I think it is absolutely risable to do so.

Colin offered comfort to those who had lost a loved one in their time of need.

A drug dealer is involved in the criminal underworld, peddling drugs to people who more often than not commit crimes to get their fix. Destroying their victims lives and often their own immediate family. Not to mention totally screwing up their physical and mental health along the way.

Casusing untold misery to themselves and those that are unfortunate enough to be around them.

Compare that to Colin Fry who gave comfort to folk when they had lost a loved one. If it made the bereaved person feel better, I don't see what harm was done.

I'm sorry and I don't mean this sarcastically, perhaps I'm not articulate enough to show how I don't think that both sitations are comparable, but I have tried.:)
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    It is sad that he has passed away and it something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

If there is any positive that can be taken from his death it is that he is no longer taking advantage of vulnerable people. Nevertheless it would have been wonderful if he could have ceased doing such a thing whilst he was alive and continued to have a long, healthy life.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    RIP Colin. Always liked watching his shows as did my Mum.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compare that to Colin Fry who gave comfort to folk when they had lost a loved one. If it made the bereaved person feel better, I don't see what harm was done.

So taking money under false pretences is fine as long as your victim 'feels better'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    So taking money under false pretences is fine as long as your victim 'feels better'?

I never said he took money under false pretences, you did. I 'm not certain he did. I believe he gave comfort and solace to those that sought him out and if he and they believed in what was a mutual engagement so be it. I don't believe that they would have felt victimised by him. I'm not a believer or fan but I respect those who are.

I hope the man rests in peace. Young age to die.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Although I've no idea who Colin Fry was/is, it seems from this thread and a google or two, that he was essentially an opportunistic conman, therefore - and like other charlatan 'mediums' - utterly and totally dishonest in his 'transactions' with the public. From that starting premise, whether he gave comfort or not to bereaved people becomes immaterial.

Re the 'drug' parallel drawn earlier, I'd argue that the drug buyer/seller relationship is (judgement aside, and by comparison) an honest and straightforward one where both parties get exactly what they expect from the transaction, whereas the 'message' buyer/charlatan medium relationship is wholly dishonest from the start since the charlatan medium promises the buyer something s/he can't ever deliver.

On that basis, I'd consider the drug dealer/buyer relationship the more honest of the two.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said he took money under false pretences, you did. I 'm not certain he did. I believe he gave comfort and solace to those that sought him out and if he and they believed in what was a mutual engagement so be it. I don't believe that they would have felt victimised by him. I'm not a believer or fan but I respect those who are.

I hope the man rests in peace. Young age to die.

Well if he wasn't really talking to auntie Sylvie who was saying she was in a better place, then that is false pretences.

But if your victim believes you're telling the truth it's OK to lie. Strange that doesn't apply when it's some 419'er taking cash from elderly people or selling dodgy insurance products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Well if he wasn't really talking to auntie Sylvie who was saying she was in a better place, then that is false pretences.

But if your victim believes you're telling the truth it's OK to lie. Strange that doesn't apply when it's some 419'er taking cash from elderly people or selling dodgy insurance products.

Ber, we'll have to agree to disagree. I have made my points about the man and those that found solace with him. (whome I don't think would like to be considered victimes)

Don't think there is anything else I can add. :)
    Forum Member
    Colin's here with me now.

If his mother or sister would like to ask him anything while they still can. I'm more than happy to pass on their questions and his very personal, loving, important, wonderful, final-opportunity answers for £80 a time.

If anyone here can't deliver proof in a court of law that I'm talking shite and am merely setting out to exploit emotionally compromised bereaved family members for profit and career furtherment, you have no business complaining. You're just a lonely hater and conspiracy theorist, jealous of the love other people are still able to feel from their dear departed (subject to my £80 fees, obviously).

PS. Now that Colin's still every bit still with us, but ITV or Channel 5 won't be deciding to commission a new series with his presence (Why ITV?! Just....why?), can I thoroughly recommend Ian D Montfort, clairvoyant extraordinaire. He gave me a personalised reading once and it was completely accurate. Not only was he correctly informed by Matt Busby that I was a Manchester United fan, he Busby also warned me that the team weren't going to do so well the year after Alex Ferguson left.

Then last week I went back for another reading in Edinburgh and he said Malcolm Glazer told him to tell me to sell all my shares in the club and invest the money in London property instead. I don't know why but I'm going to trust him and do it.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind communicating with the dead, last night I listened to a podcast, The Unexplained With Howard Hughes, in which he had an American woman on called Candace L.Talmadge who at one point discussed her ability to communicate with the unborn! The subject of suicide was brought up at one point and she stated that those who took their lives will not solve anything and be released from their pain but it continues. Dreadful stuff.

It seems like the people who make money out of this kind of charade are committing what I can only think of as legalised fraud.
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    an American woman on called Candace L.Talmadge who at one point discussed her ability to communicate with the unborn!

I was doing that at 14! All you needed was a copy of Parade and a lock on the bathroom door.