Contract or Sim Only Advice

smushsmush Posts: 4
Forum Member
Hi I am considering getting a new mobile phone and after some consideration I feel the best option is the Galaxy S3 LTE, as although I probably won't use it on 4G at the moment, what with EE having the monopoly so are charging through the roof, it is the only phone with a good amount of storage that will work on all the other UK 4G networks due later, which is not only good for me but also makes it more appealing as a second hand device when I sell it.

I now have to decide whether to get it on contract or buy it unlocked and use a sim only 30 day contract, I understand that this all depends on the individual and in my case I don't use many minutes or texts, probably more minutes though so 250-300 minutes and 100-150 texts with 750MB-1GB data would suffice. I don't really want to spend more than £20 a month, I could probably get that sort of package on both contract and SIMO as you can haggle them down and a lot of my family are on Orange it just means that on contract I am tied down for at least 12-18months but on the upside I don't pay full price for the phone so not as much money is lost on the resale value of the phone when the free upgrade arrives after the contract period is up.
So basically I'd like so advice on this matter if anyone can be of help that would be great.

Also, With the free upgrades on contracts do you get a choice of phones or do they just give you one?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smush wrote: »
    Also, With the free upgrades on contracts do you get a choice of phones or do they just give you one?

You get to choose whatever you like, to get you to renew your contract with them. Because after 24 months, the contract has finished.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can pick up the phone for £380 which divided by 24months is around £16 pcm. you can get a sim from 3 Essential Internet SIM 600 for £ 13.00 a month so over 2 years it cost you £29 pcm. Chepest orange product I could see with enough data was £41.00 plus £ 40.00 for the phone. Now you may be able to to get a deal elsewhere with cash back and free months and the like which might knock that back it a bit such as this expired deal http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-samsung-galaxy-s3-24-month-contract-t-mobile-26p-m-medium-internet-750mb-300min-1234972 but £ 20.00 pcm is going to be a bit hard
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are thinking about 4G but think you will only be using 1GB of data a month ? That does not tie up.
  • smushsmush Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Could I not just phone Orange or go in store and work out a deal with them to keep it at £20pcm? I've heard it done before just ask them for xxx minutes and xxx texts and xxx data for £20

I wouldn't go on a 2 year contract 18mo is my max.
    c4rv wrote: »
    You are thinking about 4G but think you will only be using 1GB of data a month ? That does not tie up.
    What do you mean by this? I might stream the odd video clip but data and speed are two different things. Also even if I stick with 3G, like I say come time to upgrade the phone is likely to still be desirable to someone else with its any network 4G capabilities.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smush wrote: »
    What do you mean by this? I might stream the odd video clip but data and speed are two different things. Also even if I stick with 3G, like I say come time to upgrade the phone is likely to still be desirable to someone else with its any network 4G capabilities.

if you are talking about the odd video clip then HSPA+ should be fine.

As for how desirable the phone is likely to be in 18 months time, don't know but in my experiance you are unlikely to recouop and up front costs in resell value.

Anyway, I can't see how you will be able to get a S3 on a 18 month contract for £20 a month. The phone alone would be more then that.