Options

The Planners returns in new guise - BBC2

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,019
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    Whilst I totally agree about the railings ( why were they even objecting in the first place ?) I also agreed with the objectors point about the 'spin' that was put on the drawings. Those were definitely done to make sure that the wall looked awful & the railings looked aceptable. They were not drawn by someone with an impartial view !

It was unclear what type of railings, were they aluminium square edged type that are used along the roadside in urban areas, which are left unpainted and look industrial?

I live in an area that is deprived and extremely wealthy, the attitude of the developers & planners in the deprived areas seems to be they won't appreciate design and almost anything goes.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't get the guy who has lived in an illegal shack for 8 years, yet didnt want another 3 yrs ??
    & the pipeline objector, what a smug git, so glad he lost.
    Havnt a lot of people got too much time on their hands, yes even the counsellors (are they paid) most seem well off, & elderly shouldnt they be spending their twilight years doing something better?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Planner Neil Is quite optimistic in his estimation of what 300mm of clay looks like, more than two and a half times what it actually is.
    I bet his girlfriend was disappointed.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Is there an attempt to get in as many puns into the script as possible? i.e. the beauticians filing an objection, the retired farmer wishing to extend his burial grounds hoping his application wont get buried, etc.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The mobile home owners are living next to the M56 - hardly a peaceful idyll to be shattered.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    It's a good job local residents aren't in charge of developments because if they were, absolutely nothing would ever be built, anywhere!
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    It's a good job local residents aren't in charge of developments because if they were, absolutely nothing would ever be built, anywhere!

Ironically that would include their own homes.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »

The planners go on about building new homes to fulfil housing needs yet something like a million houses stand empty and boarded up in the UK, many in a condition whereby it wouldn't take much work to make them habitable again. There's a beautiful victorian villa in street of smart houses near where I live, in good sound condition on a hill with amazing views out to sea, yet year after year for over a decade it remains boarded up, I really wish the council would do something about it, I hate seeing this wonderfull house left like this >:(
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The planners go on about building new homes to fulfil housing needs yet something like a million houses stand empty and boarded up in the UK, many in a condition whereby it wouldn't take much work to make them habitable again. There's a beautiful victorian villa in street of smart houses near where I live, in good sound condition on a hill with amazing views out to sea, yet year after year for over a decade it remains boarded up, I really wish the council would do something about it, I hate seeing this wonderfull house left like this >:(

Sometimes there are Empty Homes Officers at the local council who can be approached or maybe this will be of help. It make interesting reading.

http://www.emptyhomes.com/
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In 2012 there 250k homes that were classed as long term - more than 6 months - empty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did the Footy guy invest 1/2 mill without knowing he would get planning permission, & where did he get a spare 1/2 mill?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why did the Footy guy invest 1/2 mill without knowing he would get planning permission, & where did he get a spare 1/2 mill?

Lots of developer types take gambles like this, then cry "Your planning decision might cost me x thousands of pounds" and expect sympathy, or for it even to sway a commitee decision.

In a way, every planning application involves a certain element of risk. An applicant has to submit something for it to be considered, so that will always cost money in drawings, surveys etc.
    Once you get into stuff like the football academy scheme, then a planning app will require ecological surveys, soil surveys, flood risk assesments, light and noise pollution surveys, travel plans, traffic manangement plans and so on. Consultants will not refund fees for those should an application be refused.

If I am commissioned to prepare a design for planning, I make it very clear to my clients that they are paying me to design something and make a planning app, not to win a planning permission.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point in objecting the conversion of the pub into housing. A pub needs more than a handfull of people having the odd half to be viable. The pub was going to close anyway By objecting to the conversion all they are going to achieve is having a boarded up decaying building and the antisocial disorder problems that abandoned buildings attract.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

Where did he get the money?
    Lee [Williamson) has been successfully buying, planning and developing property since the early 1970s. He founded LW Developments in 1979 and with over 30 years of development experience has led LW Developments to become a successful development and investment company with major developments throughout London, Hertfordshire and Essex. Lee expanded his business interests with the set up of bespoke tailoring company Terence Trout in London's Mayfair, which is enjoying enviable success. This substantial growth is a direct result of the dynamic and ambitious foresight of the founder and is a testament to Lee's commitment to the business and personal resolve.

http://www.lwdevelopments.com/people.php
  • Options
    aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    The planners go on about building new homes to fulfil housing needs >:(

That's because Councils are obliged to hold a five year housing supply plan by Government. If they don't then presumption is in favour of the developer. A handy explanation is in the article linked below.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/week-s-Opinion-Steve-Crowther-chair-sustainable/story-20661228-detail/story.html
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the objectors to the greenland development Rodborough Fields all lived in 70s and 80s modern housing?

How exactly do people think these things get built?

The process seems so dated, aside a few exceptions most planning committees are older backward thinking middle England types who seem to be on to basically show off and add a title to their name
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Where did he get the money?

http://www.lwdevelopments.com/people.php

But thats the "Dad", presumably he gave his son the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But where are most of these homes, are they were there is work or where people wish to live? There can be various reasons why a property remains empty, person dies without a will, elderly person goes into care and refuses to sell or can't sell because of state of the property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On Thursday it said there's to be a programme catching up with what happened to sites in the previous series, does anyone know when it is on?
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    On Thursday it said there's to be a programme catching up with what happened to sites in the previous series, does anyone know when it is on?

Tuesday 11 March. That should be an interesting one.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else notice the School Head was wrongly captioned as "School Principle", rather than "Principal"? Screen shot taken, and now added to the Flickr Digital Spy Group.

(Oh well, now the sun is shining, i might be able to get out a bit more and look for a life)
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this had finished!...Looks like the last one tonight.
  • Options
    kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this had finished!...Looks like the last one tonight.

This episode is revisiting some of last year's most controversial applications.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That cottage looks horrible, can't believe it passed planning.....
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode is revisiting some of last year's most controversial applications.

I thought so!