The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Conchita experienced a Jimmy Jump moment when being presented with the trophy. The flowers (appropriately gladioli) were given to her by a bloke protesting about the imprisonment of a Swedish internet hacker in a Danish Jail.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kultur/article2281321.ece
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    OK, here's how I'd do it:
    First of all, ask all BBC local radio stations to advertise for & select an act. They could advertise it easily, what unsigned act wouldn't want to have their song heard by 125 MILLION people?! That's roughly 1 in every 6 Europeans :o They could select how they want, have a public vote or a panel selection, whatever, but all acts must be backed by BBC Introducing in their area.
    That would produce 40 acts, all credible & talented in their own way. They'd go into the selection, not on Melfest scale, but reasonable, good quality, well-produced shows.
    So it could give 6 weeks of high-quality, well-watched telly on BBC1, with 5 heats of 8, & say 4 going through. The final could be similar in scale to the German one, say 20 acts in a Eurovision style - we could treat it almost as a rehearsal for a UK contest itself. The winner could be picked by televote, UK juries, & maybe Swedish-style international juries. The winner would obvs go to Eurovision, with a similar deal to what Molly got. But the process would get attention from the industry, so who knows what could happen.

I should add though that there's nothing wrong with how Molly was picked, it might not have produced a contest winner, but it has brought a very strong, credible, talented singer into the public eye, has produced more goodwill towards Eurovision in this country than I can ever remember, & has made being a British Eurovision fan feel good for the first time in ages. This is worth far more than any points on Saturday. So if they continue with this, then great, as long as it's Guy who's in charge, & K*t** T*yl*r is kept AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE! Send her back to the Pete Waterman museum, we don't even want to think of her anymore.

I've been saying something along these lines too :)

I think it would be a great way to get a cross section of the music industry and television content out of it. If the quality is there, it will get bums on seats imo. But it needs a proper venue, large stage, acoustics and audience. A dingy studio in London is not going to cut it.
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Morocco did, but Israel didn't that year. Wouldn't surprise me if Morocco also had the same laws. In fact *tin foil hat*, Israel returned in 1981, the year Morocco withdrew.

I thought Morocco weren't too bad with Israel? Similar to Jordan and Egypt? Things might have changed, though, or I might have got it wrong.
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    Can you blame him really? I think it was just the lack of points for Molly. With the likes of certain other countries scoring much higher. It sort of deflated a lot of people who probably thought Molly was on for a top 5 placing.

I thought Graham was negative before the lines even opened. He always seems to have a grudge against Germany, for instance.
    Pete Waterman go away.......

WE HAVE SOME GREAT SONG WRITERS ...we can do better than this.

A group who id love to enter euro for any country but they wont do is OMNIA . I went to see them in The Netherlands where they are based , just fantastic and they are made up of people from about 5 countries including lead singer who is from Cornwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hH2JFSGMiM

another of theirs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogqGrE6lcaE

I love Omnia (and all those Finnish bands you listed earlier) , but they would never do it. :(
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Lol it does as well! So lessons for next year then, do not woo and do not jiggle! :o:D

Good job we didn't send michelle gayle in 2008!
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    great to see some Omnia love, they are nice people we had coffee with them afterwards. Alas they would never do it, what a shame.
    Forum Member
    Im hoping that Conchita's success will make people think and some great artists will come out of the Eurovision closet . Another group who are different and brilliant are Lady Winward's Maggot(Dorset band) They would be brilliant for Euro.
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    Good job we didn't send michelle gayle in 2008!

Or heaven forbid katie price!!!!:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul O'Grady just congratulated Conchita on winning :)
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »

oh I'm so thrilled i love Paul and have read all his books. I know Paul's struggle through his books. yayyyyy:D
    Forum Member
    Not that she needs it but i think paul would be a great mentor for Conchita.
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    Now, I use iplayer radio, with radio 1 playing, & radio 2's screen, so I can switch when they go into a *rap phase :p I didn't catch what they said about it, but I saw on the 'now playing' bit of radio 2 that they played COTU just before 5. A tiny thing, but so encouraging. How many other UK non-winning entries have been played after the contest? I just hope the Beeb don't forget about Molly when it matters, when her album's out.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know, there's this group that were popular once that just fit your idea of what's perfect for Eurovision. They're called Scooch. Do you want their number? Admit it; you're clueless. You don't understand this thing at all. Why are you even still posting? You spent weeks before the show saying how much you disapprove of it all.

They would fill the camp and kitsch niche, but explain please in what parallel universe that Scooch would be considered even remotely controversial or opinion dividing? You've failed to grasp one of the most important and basic factors in the 3 pronged attack we need to win. If you are so clued up tell us our next winner then?
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no withdrawing countries were announced after all. Boo. They're now reporting that Greece is threatening to withdraw, lol...
  • portugalportugal Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One last chance to vote. Result at about 21.30 this evening :)

http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/91876/jEcVK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    er, yes it was, clearly. Jonathan King, who knows a thing about Eurovision, predicted it would come 18th when the song was first unveiled. I had a similar prediction. It didn't deserve a top 10 placing at all... It's not even going to be a top 20 hit here in Britain.

Jonathan King?! Wasn't he defending Jimmy Savile not too long ago? Don't tell me, King knows the problem and he can fix it?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    They would fill the camp and kitsch niche, but explain please in what parallel universe that Scooch would be considered even remotely controversial or opinion dividing? You've failed to grasp one of the most important and basic factors in the 3 pronged attack we need to win. If you are so clued up tell us our next winner then?

This is a song contest- we can't even begin to tell you who's winning when we don't know any of the songs!

I seriously think Conchita might be a guest on the Graham Norton Show soon. She definitely fits the ethos of his shoew
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portugal wrote: »
    One last chance to vote. Result at about 21.30 this evening :)

http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/91876/jEcVK

How exciting, someone has already claimed the slot from my work's IP range...
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,370
    Forum Member
    I seriously think Conchita might be a guest on the Graham Norton Show soon. She definitely fits the ethos of his shoew

That NEEDS to happen!
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear... Donatan has essentially said that he finds the reaction to the Polish staging as heterophobic, and encourages hetereosexuals to not be afraid to be themselves:
    Listen, I see that some people do not understand what is the scandal - it's not about that we regret that we could be in 5th place so as I said at the very beginning before the Eurovision result does not interest me. Austria anyway takes 1st place no matter whether we take into account the voices of sms or jurors. It's about something else: namely, everyone is talking about tolerance for sexual minorities, etc. .. but more often is so that these minorities are beginning to feel like the majority. Performance Cleo and our girls met with discrimination charges (stupid), and finally the unfair treatment of the in scoring. I am tolerant as I have nothing to gays, lesbians (especially them have nothing) transvestites - everyone does what he likes and what he wants to be ... but do not lead to the situation that the straight to be ashamed of themselves! Let's find a middle ground because otherwise go extinct by extremes in stupidity

Confused then. Does he think it's gay people complaining about the video? All the people at work today that thought the staging of the song was bad were all females (guys seemed to love it, lol....)

Cleo has also shared this and said "It's common sense".
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,370
    Forum Member
    Donatan is an idiot.

I know the song and the staging were tongue in cheek, but many people who don't follow the contest closely won't have got that, and will have found the staging sexist.

It has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. I'm sure plenty of lesbians and bisexual people would be attracted to those women.

It's about the percieved nature that they exploited female sexuality for votes.

Ugh, NOT a Donatan fan throughout this whole process.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a song contest- we can't even begin to tell you who's winning when we don't know any of the songs!

Conchita would be a good guest, she would suit that show perfectly. I watched her interview with Ireland on youtube and she came across very well.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, while I'd agree that the media were unfair (and hypocritical) in calling Poland's song sexist and that the criticism probably caused the media luvvies in the jury to rank it so badly, I don't think it has anything to do with heterophobia or whatever Donatan is going on about. He's completely lost me there!
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much for the Danes holding a grudge against the UK over Terry Wogan's "Dr Death and the tooth fairy" comments like some people said, they gave us our second highest score of the night by awarding us 7 points. In fact we come third in the countries that they have voted for over the years behind only Sweden and Germany.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »

I was shocked when he did because he usually slags off Eurovision. :)

It was great when the audience were cheering really loudly and when he called Russia a 'miserable hole'. :D
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Maybe I should start a thread on this but I have been thinking...
    Does goodwill through consistently sending a good act count for much in terms of votes?

Take for example Azerbaijan 2008-2011. It seemed to me by the time they won in 2011, people were generally in agreement it was 'their turn' because of the positive reputation for popular songs they sent in those years.Same then goes for Sweden and something similar seems to be happening now with The Netherlands (starting with last year's Anouk), arguably even San Marino as well.

I think the UK should stick with the format we have for selection, stay the course and build up our reputation for sending decent songs, we'll land on a winner eventually. I don't agree with those saying 'sod it, lets send a joke act we won't win anyway'.
This discussion has been closed.