Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 4 if you want news during the CG. Or the BBC News website/app. BBC News 24 on 24 hours a day or BBC TV news.

Or maybe ITV News.

Plenty of sources while ONE station coves the CG

I'd imagine if news broke, they'd cover it. Nothing big broke during The Olympics though
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could be the final nail in the coffin. There cant be too many people who specifically tune in for the Games. Those at home that interestex would probably switch the "box" on. Rajar will tell the story...

It will be interesting to see what the listening figures are like & the viewing figures on the TV.

Alex Salmond's posturing over the last few months has made me even more reluctant to watch any of it !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred was on PMQs as well?? :confused:

No, that was box-ticking Andi Osho.

Anyway, as long as the Krankies are involved this evening I'll be happy.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect the listening figures for the Commonwealth Games to be as high as the Olyympics. I don't think the Commonwealth Games will be as exciting as the Olympics but I expect them to be more exciting than the World Cup.

There are major on-going news stories. It can be strange listening to the mixture of news and sport that is 5 Live. I think that during certain times such as breakfast and at least an hour of drive, 5 Live should be a sport free zone.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    There are major on-going news stories. It can be strange listening to the mixture of news and sport that is 5 Live. I think that during certain times such as breakfast and at least an hour of drive, 5 Live should be a sport free zone.

Certainly Your Call should be a news topic not sport, there is already plenty of sport discussion phone ins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect the listening figures for the Commonwealth Games to be as high as the Olyympics. I don't think the Commonwealth Games will be as exciting as the Olympics but I expect them to be more exciting than the World Cup.

Do you really ? I don't !
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Radio 4 if you want news during the CG. Or the BBC News website/app. BBC News 24 on 24 hours a day or BBC TV news.

BBC News channel - constant Commonwealth Games.

Radio 4 - well I don't earn over £100,000 pinds a year so I'm not 'their sort'.
    Or maybe ITV News.

Plenty of sources while ONE station coves the CG

I'd imagine if news broke, they'd cover it. Nothing big broke during The Olympics though

Oh goody. More an accident than anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can the Jocks get independence yet keep the Pound and keep Her Maj?

= Not independent.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the CG do not have anything like the same status as the Olympics, considering the Chinese, Germans, Russians and Americans who tend to dominate athletics don't compete. Even Usain Bolt who is a Commonwealth athlete isn't competing in the 100 and 200m races but decided to put in an appearance at the last moment for the 4 x 100m relay instead.

I feel the BBC's devotion to the CG is done more out of tradition then any current popularity of the event, although 30 -40 years ago the CG probably attracted more interest then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how Derbyshire can get to Glasgow when she can't even make half the distance to Salford.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how Derbyshire can get to Glasgow when she can't even make half the distance to Salford.

Yes, it's a joke.
    (Fogarty on LBC this morning with Ferrari's stand in.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's a joke.
    (Fogarty on LBC this morning with Ferrari's stand in.
    Perhaps you could explain the joke because i'm not sure I understand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

If you don't get the joke then I wouldn't worry your little head about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VD.......... " Tell us what you can see"......
    Other person...... "The bike racks"

Radio at its finest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

Oh, come on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VD.......... " Tell us what you can see"......
    Other person...... "The bike racks"

Radio at its finest.

I'm glad I've abandoned R5 for the next 11 days !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I'm glad I've abandoned R5 for the next 11 days !

You are not (won't be) the only one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real new schedule for 5 LiveSPORT

6am Nicky Campbell's Sports Breakfast
    10am Adrian Chiles SPORTS Daily
    1pm Afternoon Sport
    4pm Livesey's Drive Time SPORT
    7pm SPORT
    10.30pm Phil Williams' Night Sport
    1am Sport All Night
    5am A Couple of Yuppies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I put LBC on, James O'Brian banging on about Peaches Geldorf ! I think it's Classic fm for me or listening to the music on my mp3 player .
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member

Certainly not the only one - after listening to Campbells little strop this morning on Breakfast when he could not get into the practice session for the bowls I lost the will to live.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,063
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    Do you really ? I don't !

I was going to say..the World Cup attracts millions on the BBC I suspect.

Maybe he is talking as a non-football fan though.

It has got the Wimbledon feel though - probably partly used as a jolie for some who probably have no interest in such sports for the rest of the year (s)

Of course its in Glasgow rather than some far flung nation like Australia..would they cover it as much if it was down under?
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member

Just what I thought. I couldn't believe it when I heard she was actually there. I changed to Radio 2 and even there Ken Bruce seemed to be in Glasgow and the traffic person was interviewing someone there. I turned the radio off in the end and I won't be listening to 5 Live for a couple of weeks. It's even on in the 10.30 p.m. slot with Colin Paterson.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that really Hardeep Singh Kohli being used by the BBC to cover the swimming? A very odd choice..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Is that really Hardeep Singh Kohli being used by the BBC to cover the swimming? A very odd choice..

I think he's just doing vox pops.
    Perhaps some here remember when there was a Hardeep Singh Kohli alert thread on one of the forums - or it may have been on a BBC site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd have thought by 10.30pm there'd have been enough talk about the Commonwealth Games & we could have had a news programme, but oh no, it's Colin Patterson gushing on for two and a half hours about guess what ? the CG :o
This discussion has been closed.