Options

Why are babies allowed on long haul flights?

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have recently returned from Australia, and mine and very many other people's' flights were horrendous due to the constant screaming and crying of babies.

I had over 30 hours worth of the problem. As soon as the outbound flight took off it was 'waahhhhh' right up to when it landed in Singapore. And it wasnt just 1 baby, there were 6 on this particular flight.

Why are they allowed to fly?
I asked one of the fathers this exact question, to which he replied "we are taking him to see my sister for the first time'
Surely if there is a new baby in the family then the sister should come to see the baby not the other way around.To put the baby through the flight's eardrum pain caused by decsending is also very cruel.

If babies HAVE to fly then there should be a special enclosed area for them, not just the bassinet seats at the front or middle of the plane. The constant screaming meant no one for many rows back could enjoy the flights they had paid for.

Call me bah humbug if you will, but babies should not be allowed on long haul flights.
Anyone with me?

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    If babies HAVE to fly then there should be a special enclosed area for them
    The cargo hold next to the rest of the livestock?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Why? Because it's the duty of airlines to make flying as uncomfortable an experience as they possibly can.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Maybe babies should be put in the hold:)

But seriously, I hate it when I find myself sat near a baby on a flight. They usually hate flying and everyone near by is subject to them crying and causing disturbances throughout the whole flight, making it sheer hell. There are too many selfish parents who want to go on holiday despite their children obviously not enjoying travelling at a very young age.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make them walk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Make them walk.

Strap them to the wings....
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know, why are babies allowed on long haul flights?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I flew to Hong Kong from the UK with my children when they were both 4 months old....3 years apart. I was given good advice by my doctor before flying, I gave them a bottle when taking off and when landing to ensure they were sucking at these times. It helped their ears adjust to the change in cabin pressure. I did it on take off and landing and had a good flight there and back on both occasions. It's all about the preparation. Of course babies should be allowed to fly long haul. I am not sure what advice airlines give to those flying long haul with little ones though,
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Put mine - I mean them - on a separate flight. :o
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm an adult and even i still sometimes get pain in my ears. i must have really small ear canals or something. its most painful when landing
  • Options
    N20JetCarN20JetCar Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Its one of the perils of buying a ticket on standby. Your seating is random and you could end up being sat next to a wailing infant with flailing arms and legs ready to smack you in the mouth and knock your glass of wine down your front.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why stop there? I can't see why babies are allowed out in public at all ... they are nothing but a nuisance. I mean they are everywhere ... supermarkets, Dr.s waiting rooms, even the post office! They should be kept at home til they reach school age.

Problem solved :D
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God forbid that children should be allowed to fly! Why, back in my day there was no such a thing as air travel, and when we went on long car journeys the babies were put on the roof rack where they belong!:mad:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Adults cause far more noise and problems on flights than babies.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adults cause far more noise and problems on flights than babies.

Particularly drunk ones.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Particularly drunk ones.

Yes, when they are drunk they usually fall asleep.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, when they are drunk they usually fall asleep.

Except when they refuse to sleep and find other things to do, as often happens.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on a flight not so long ago and there was a woman sitting next to me with a tiny baby.Not a peep out of this baby the whole way. And I've been on other flights where a number of babies seemed to be having an international crying competition.

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, not all babies scream their heads off on flights. I reckon that anyone complaining about babies is just complaining about the crying ones. And these people have most likely been on other flights where there were babies who did not cry. And because they didn't cry, you didn't notice them.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except when they refuse to sleep and find other things to do, as often happens.

I meant the babies.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    I have recently returned from Australia, and mine and very many other people's' flights were horrendous due to the constant screaming and crying of babies.

I had over 30 hours worth of the problem. As soon as the outbound flight took off it was 'waahhhhh' right up to when it landed in Singapore. And it wasnt just 1 baby, there were 6 on this particular flight.

I had to put up with a screaming baby on the way to Australia! All i had for the flight was her screaming for about every 10 minutes. When we landed in Singapore, she was running around with smiles on her face but when they called our flight to Sydney, the little brat just had to get on this flight and all she did was scream for seven hours.

One of the guys sitting next to me said to one of the cabin crew "have you got a switch for that" after they did the electricial devices message. Everyone sitting around us chuckled but the cabin crew didn't seem to get the joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Probably cos it's illegal to leave them at home on their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The noise of a crying baby triggers something in me, it makes me feel like commiting mass homicide, reason 857 for not having one:D

It is just the most irritating noise in the world.

Personally Adult only flights would be good, like they do with hotels. I would pay a premium for it.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally Adult only flights would be good, like they do with hotels. I would pay a premium for it.

That just may be a really good business idea!

I would willingly pay an extra £200 for an "adults only" long haul flight
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The cargo hold next to the rest of the livestock?
    Beat me to it :D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I live 5,000 away from my friends and family and most of them can afford neither the time nor the money to fly to see me. Fortunately, the times my baby has cried have been relatively short. And I promise you OP, a crying baby is about a million times more stressful for the parents than it is for the rest of you who can put on pair of headphones, pour yourself a drink and watch a film, so just relax and be glad you're not us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The noise of a crying baby triggers something in me, it makes me feel like commiting mass homicide, reason 857 for not having one:D

It is just the most irritating noise in the world.

I used to have a friend who regularly flew to Florida with his three very small children - first class. I must admit I was cruelly amused to think of the faces of his fellow passengers when they saw who they would be sharing their fantastically expensive journey with. :D I wonder how badly they would have had to behave before someone asked to be re-seated in economy?
This discussion has been closed.