Xbox One: Advice for Newbies

Comments

• deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I will also need to buy GTA V for the X1 as well as I would like to carry on with the online game (probably wont pay the solo game as I have completed it twice on my 360! Might just try the first person view though!!)

Is GTA V for the X1 available as download only option?

Also, I have heard some horror stories about people saying that the very first time you boot up the console, it does some updates which can take over 2-3 hours to complete. Is this true...!!!:confused:
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I will also need to buy GTA V for the X1 as well as I would like to carry on with the online game (probably wont pay the solo game as I have completed it twice on my 360! Might just try the first person view though!!)

Is GTA V for the X1 available as download only option?

Also, I have heard some horror stories about people saying that the very first time you boot up the console, it does some updates which can take over 2-3 hours to complete. Is this true...!!!:confused:

GTA V is available as a download. All Xbox 1 games are but they can be more expensive than buying the disc. You can buy games from different regions and there is a thread on here about it, but it only works with Xbox Live Credit from that country.

In regards to the initial update yes there is a big update (not sure of the size now) when you turn on the console but if you have a decent Internet connection it shouldn't take too long.
    It the same for games. Most have quite large updates,
    Forum Member
    GTA V is available as a download. All Xbox 1 games are but they can be more expensive than buying the disc. You can buy games from different regions and there is a thread on here about it, but it only works with Xbox Live Credit from that country.

In regards to the initial update yes there is a big update (not sure of the size now) when you turn on the console but if you have a decent Internet connection it shouldn't take too long.
    It the same for games. Most have quite large updates,

...ok cheers for that deadmancarl - appreciated ;-)
    Forum Member
    A few 'TV viewing' questions now so apologies for slightly going off topic with this one but its still to do with the Xbox One!!

Currently, I do all my gaming (and cable tv watching, via a Virgin Media TiVo box) on the 32" version of the below tv:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung 32" LCD LE40R87

It gives an ok HD picture, both on my 360 and whilst watching tv. Its quite an old tv - I bought it when HD tvs had just come out and this was one of the first kinds!! I have recently noticed, however, that the picture has begun to deteriorate gradually.

By this I mean, when playing games, I can see a ghost image of something, after it has left the screen. As an example, in Minecraft, along the bottom where you have 9 or so inventory boxes. When I exit the game, I can very often, see a ghost image of these boxes, whilst looking at the Xbox 360 dashboard.

Its not just that either. In the top right of the screen and also in the top centre, there are these weird dark shadow areas - which are there ALL THE TIME?!!

The following pic shows these highlighted:

TV Screenshot

Notice how much darker the top centre section and the top right corner are compared to the left corner. These shaded areas are present whether I play games or watch tv - just cannot get rid of them!!!

Anyway, so I am now thinking of switching tv as well (nothing too fancy) and came across this one from Samsung:
    Samsung LED 40" Full HD TV

It seems good for the price (Amazon have them for about £279 for the non-smart tv version. I have other gadgets which can do the 'smart tv' options so don't require a smart tv as well!!) - anyone have any thoughts?

Would this work well with the Xbox One?!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few 'TV viewing' questions now so apologies for slightly going off topic with this one but its still to do with the Xbox One!!

Currently, I do all my gaming (and cable tv watching, via a Virgin Media TiVo box) on the 32" version of the below tv:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung 32" LCD LE40R87

It gives an ok HD picture, both on my 360 and whilst watching tv. Its quite an old tv - I bought it when HD tvs had just come out and this was one of the first kinds!! I have recently noticed, however, that the picture has begun to deteriorate gradually.

By this I mean, when playing games, I can see a ghost image of something, after it has left the screen. As an example, in Minecraft, along the bottom where you have 9 or so inventory boxes. When I exit the game, I can very often, see a ghost image of these boxes, whilst looking at the Xbox 360 dashboard.

Its not just that either. In the top right of the screen and also in the top centre, there are these weird dark shadow areas - which are there ALL THE TIME?!!

The following pic shows these highlighted:

TV Screenshot

Notice how much darker the top centre section and the top right corner are compared to the left corner. These shaded areas are present whether I play games or watch tv - just cannot get rid of them!!!

Anyway, so I am now thinking of switching tv as well (nothing too fancy) and came across this one from Samsung:

It seems good for the price (Amazon have them for about £279 for the non-smart tv version. I have other gadgets which can do the 'smart tv' options so don't require a smart tv as well!!) - anyone have any thoughts?

Would this work well with the Xbox One?!

Samsung are great TV's
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

It looks like a nice TV, if you look on the John Lewis and Richer Sounds web sites the TV includes a 5 year guarantee.
    Forum Member
    I am guessing that I will also have to re-buy all my Minecraft skins and textures (which I bought on the 360 version), if I buy Minecraft on the X1?!

The first bunch of games I am going to buy for my X1 are:

Minecraft
    Assassins Creed Unity
    GTA V
    Dead Rising

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing that I will also have to re-buy all my Minecraft skins and textures (which I bought on the 360 version), if I buy Minecraft on the X1?!

The first bunch of games I am going to buy for my X1 are:

Minecraft
    Assassins Creed Unity
    GTA V
    Dead Rising

I Think they actually transfer over
    Forum Member
    I Think they actually transfer over

...actually, yep, I think you're right!!

Its confirmed here:

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/games/minecraft-dlc-save-transfer

Looks like all the content I have bought on the 360, will appear as a free download on the X1!

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...actually, yep, I think you're right!!

Its confirmed here:

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/games/minecraft-dlc-save-transfer

Looks like all the content I have bought on the 360, will appear as a free download on the X1!

i thought they did,ive not bought any for the 360 version so my XB1 version is vanilla but i did buy one for the PS3 version and it transferred across to Vita and PS4
    Forum Member
    So I was playing around with the Xbox One Smartglass app on my iPad, over the weekend and was quite impressed with it (don't yet have my X1 but will be ordering one at the end of this week on Pay Day!!!!).

I was playing about with the 'Pins' - pinning games and apps on the 'Home' screen so I know what to look for when I get my X1. I was wondering though - when I re-arrange 'pins' on my 'Home' screen, within the SmartGlass app, is this going to arrange the pins on my dashboard on the X1, when I get it? If it does, it will be great as this means I can re-arrange stuff even before I get the console!!

I quite liked the interface of the SmartGlass app - a chance to get used to it as I think the X1's interface will be very much the same....!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I was playing around with the Xbox One Smartglass app on my iPad, over the weekend and was quite impressed with it (don't yet have my X1 but will be ordering one at the end of this week on Pay Day!!!!).

I was playing about with the 'Pins' - pinning games and apps on the 'Home' screen so I know what to look for when I get my X1. I was wondering though - when I re-arrange 'pins' on my 'Home' screen, within the SmartGlass app, is this going to arrange the pins on my dashboard on the X1, when I get it? If it does, it will be great as this means I can re-arrange stuff even before I get the console!!

I quite liked the interface of the SmartGlass app - a chance to get used to it as I think the X1's interface will be very much the same....!

I've had the Smartglass app for a while and didn't realise you could rearrange the pins in there.
    Just looked though and it does say at the top that it will change the pins on your Xbox One too.
    The pins are linked to your gamertag so as soon as you log on to an Xbox One they should be the same although you do also have to download the specific apps so it may prompt for them to be downloaded when you click on them?
    Forum Member
    Ok, cheers for that SaddlerSteve - appreciated!!

Just another quick question actually - can you play online games (like GTA online as an example), if I have an Xbox One and other friends have a 360? So would I be able to play Minecraft on my X1 in the same world as my son, who would be playing at the same time, on a 360 (my 360, which i am going to hand down to him)?!

Can 360 players play against/with X1 players online!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, cheers for that SaddlerSteve - appreciated!!

Just another quick question actually - can you play online games (like GTA online as an example), if I have an Xbox One and other friends have a 360? So would I be able to play Minecraft on my X1 in the same world as my son, who would be playing at the same time, on a 360 (my 360, which i am going to hand down to him)?!

Can 360 players play against/with X1 players online!?

No, there isn't any cross platform gaming at the moment.

Not sure if that will change in the future though considering Microsoft are talking about Xbox One gamers being able to play against PC gamers in the near future.

They may decide not to bother with the 360 though as I think they only said they'd be supporting it up to 2016.
    Forum Member
    No, there isn't any cross platform gaming at the moment.

Not sure if that will change in the future though considering Microsoft are talking about Xbox One gamers being able to play against PC gamers in the near future.

They may decide not to bother with the 360 though as I think they only said they'd be supporting it up to 2016.

...dam - thats a shame then! Seems such a wasted opportunity that 360 players can't play against X1 owners!

It is a little weird though - I am pretty sure that at times when I have turned on my 360, some of my friends have been playing on the X1 as the ones that are showing as 'Online', have a bubble above them, stating 'Playing Xbox One.' (and this is on the 360 'Friends' page, on the console).

If the 360 can show who is online via an Xbox One, seems a little strange that I can't actually play against them?!

Oh well - I guess thats Microsoft for you!!

Thanks for all the help by the way - no doubt gonna have more questions when I finally get my X1 (I can see it now - how the hell do I do this?!! Where the hell is that menu?!!!:D:D)!

• MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    ...dam - thats a shame then! Seems such a wasted opportunity that 360 players can't play against X1 owners!

It is a little weird though - I am pretty sure that at times when I have turned on my 360, some of my friends have been playing on the X1 as the ones that are showing as 'Online', have a bubble above them, stating 'Playing Xbox One.' (and this is on the 360 'Friends' page, on the console).

If the 360 can show who is online via an Xbox One, seems a little strange that I can't actually play against them?!

Oh well - I guess thats Microsoft for you!!

Thanks for all the help by the way - no doubt gonna have more questions when I finally get my X1 (I can see it now - how the hell do I do this?!! Where the hell is that menu?!!!:D:D)!

I'm still like that and I got mine back in October! Trust me, you are not alone! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't voice chat with 360 owners either even though they show on your friend list.
    The only interaction appears to be text messages.
    Forum Member
    ....I just found an Xbox One Assassins Creed Bundle on Amazon for £299. Includes Unity and Black Flag:

Xbox One Assassins Creed Bundle

Seems a pretty good deal....!!!!!

!

...blimmin Amazon!? >:( Why have they now upped the price to £319?!?! :(>:(

...still gonna get it though! :D Might have to check Argos, Currys, etc to see if there are any better deals about (I assumed Amazon would have the best price!)
    Forum Member
    The Alien Isolation pack is still listed at £300 on Amazon
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The Alien Isolation pack is still listed at £300 on Amazon

......yea, you're right! wonder why that bundle is still £299 but the AC Unity has gone up by £20 to £319?!

The Alien games aren't really my thing though......
    Forum Member
    I have just noticed on the twitter feed for my local Game shop they are giving a £20 discount on X1 bundles this weekend. I don't know if it is just my local store or all of them.
    Forum Member
    Think that could be for your local store only, maybe!

Just seen this on Game's website : Xbox ONE and 4 (yes - 4 games!:o) for £319.99 Surely that HAS to be some kind of mistake!!!!

http://www.game.co.uk/

Thing is, is that when you click on the link which shows that deal, that deal doesn't actually show ANYWHERE!?!?!
    Forum Member

Just seen this on Game's website : Xbox ONE and 4 (yes - 4 games!:o) for £319.99 Surely that HAS to be some kind of mistake!!!!

Thing is, is that when you click on the link which shows that deal, that deal doesn't actually show ANYWHERE!?!?!

As your location said Croydon I have googled @gamecroydon you will see the £20 off mentioned on the twitter feed as well

I think it must be this deal with 4 games and if is £20 off at the weekend that sounds like a great deal.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-console-with-assassins-creed-unity-assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-forza-5-downloads-destiny-324539?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=

Or for £10 more you could have GTA V instead of Destiny
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-console-with-assassins-creed-unity-assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-forza-5-downloads-gta-v-324543?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I found it: http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-console-with-assassins-creed-unity-assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-forza-5-downloads-destiny-324539?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    As your location said Croydon I have googled @gamecroydon you will see the £20 off mentioned on the twitter feed as well

I think it must be this deal with 4 games and if is £20 off at the weekend that sounds like a great deal.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-console-with-assassins-creed-unity-assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-forza-5-downloads-destiny-324539?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=

Or for £10 more you could have GTA V instead of Destiny
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-console-with-assassins-creed-unity-assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-forza-5-downloads-gta-v-324543?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=

.....WOW - so them bundles do exist then!!! That GTA one sounds awsome for £329!!! Weirdly, the links load up a blank page unless I then reload the same page!!!!

EDIT : They actually have a fair few different '4 games + console' bundles ranging from £319 to £329 - didn't spot them before :blush:

Might just have to go for the GTA 5 bundle!

Is it still ok to order from the websites - thought GAME had gone bust?! :confused: