Just bought some Classic Who

2»

Comments

• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    The relatively fast pacing and action, coupled with the awful effects and sometimes stolid acting, will help ease you into the Classic series.

Ha ha!
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    apology for getting titles mixed up and talking gibberish.

i did vaguely remember earthshock was end of adric but not plot details. cant remember seeds at all.

destiny is not too bad. not that much action. the papers scissors stone part is good fun. the big letdown is the spaceship which just looks far too small from the outside.

yes geneis is v good as basically its a rehash of "the plot to kill hitler". making davros halfway tween a humanoid and dalek was a clever idea well done.

You must really hate the TARDIS then... ;-)
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must really hate the TARDIS then... ;-)

not sure what that means ....... mt t nation's daleks are basically blitzkreig stormtroopers sealed inside their tanks. what might have happened had the nazis got an atomic bomb. very clever. Genesis develops this idea by bringing in a Hitler-figure but with very clever sci fi trappings. the climax of the story is a moral dilemma which the dr faces ...... it is very good stuff indeed i am not saying otherwise ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for somebody coming to classic who for the 1st time i would highly recommend The War Games. which introduces The Time Lords. its another cracking story very well done despite being a 10 parter of 25 min episodes ...... this is usually high up on the lists for very good reasons .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming this is a first foray into Classic Who? If not, then my apologies. Pacing and action wise, Earthshock is probably the closest there to New Who. So it'd probably be best to watch that one first. The relatively fast pacing and action, coupled with the awful effects and sometimes stolid acting, will help ease you into the Classic series.

some of the early years effects were pretty damn good. in partucular the mechanoid city in The Chase ......

.... leading up to cancellation, we did get wobbly scenery, pathetic monsters, and laughable spaceships ....... not just limited budget but almost like they didnt care any more ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... the classic "old who early 80s crap spaceship" is a photographed model which is quite good in itself , but then made to move around inside picture frame with an early quantel effects device, the hand on the joystick being none too steady .........

...... as if they booked an editing suite for 30 mins, being all the budget allows, then that'll just have to do .......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming this is a first foray into Classic Who? If not, then my apologies.

More a revistation. The last time I saw them I was about 6 or 7 years old :o
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Some great stories there you bought -I like them all :)

If it was me, I'd probably watch them in sequence:
    -The Seeds of Doom;
    -The Deadly Assassin;
    -Destin of the Daleks;
    -Earthshock

I'd also do what I do & try to watch just 1 episode both late on a Saturday afternoon & Sunday afternoon -to saviour them -like a fine wine. This is more important I think than the order you watch them -but that's just me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one told me there was an Action Man stuffed inside a telescope in Deadly Assassin.

Still enjoyed it though.
  • Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Thanks Corwin. I will shelve Destiny until I have Genesis.

That is a smart move. If you watch Destiny before Genesis, it will likely ruin Genesis for you. Destiny does refer to Genesis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a smart move. If you watch Destiny before Genesis, it will likely ruin Genesis for you. Destiny does refer to Genesis.

I caved in and watched it.

I'm sure I saw half the 70's cast of the Bill as Movellans.

And the squeaky Dalek wheels, and Davros peddling his base like it was a fire engine he got for Christmas.

And Romana trying on her incarnations like dresses.

Seriously folks, you cat-call NuWho for the continuity? :D

As ever, I had a great viewing experience. I'm finding the extras on these DVDs pretty cool, for context.

:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I nearly forgot: the extended bald testicles that Tom pulls out of the quarry face, and then throws against the rocks.