The Restaurant 2009

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
Forum Member
Only a couple of weeks to go now so I thought we needed a new thread. For follow-up to last year's (including 'Plate Expectations') see:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=897070&page=171

This year at least three of the restaurants are in Bristol:

http://www.theoliveshed.com/

http://www.howardsrestaurant.co.uk/

http://www.jamesbarlow.co.uk/bbc%E2%80%99s-restaurant

The use of somewhere outside the Thames Valley is probably connected with the fact that RB has spent a lot of time in Bristol recently opening a new "Brasserie Blanc".

Howards has since closed:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Howards-end-Bristol-restaurant-closes-33-years/article-1302842-detail/article.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I have now found a fourth restaurant that was used. I found the following in a forum:

"I'm in Aberdeen (one of those aforementioned smelly scots), getting married in August 2010

I was in Bristol for the 1st time a few months ago, I really liked the city!

we went to one of the Pizza Express' and there was loads of cameras etc around, so we asked what was going on and the restaurant opposite was being filmed for the 'Restaurant'! "

None of the three mentioned in my previous post is near a Pizza Express. So, it looks as if the whole programme was made in Bristol. Does this mean that we will save a lot of time by not having endless helicopter shots of Le Manoir and its surroundings? Perhaps we get endless shots of the Bristol Brasserie Blanc instead!

There are four Pizza Express restaurants in Bristol... off to do some more research!
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Do we know when the new series starts?
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    I've decided we have three weeks to go. Last year 'The Restaurant' had the 8 to 9 slot on Wednesdays and Thursdays. It started on Sept. 10th and overlapped the last two weeks of 'Professional Masterchef' which ended at 7p.m.

This year 'Professional Masterchef' has moved to mid-evening slots of 8.30 - 9 Monday, 8 - 9 Tuesday, 8 - 9.30 Wednesday and 8.15 - 9 Thursday. That means that 'The Restaurant' will have to wait until that finishes on October 8th (assuming similar slots to last year) and so my prediction is that it will start the following week.
    Forum Member
    Ooops :o got that one wrong. Professional Masterchef has had 4 weeks of the first round compared to 3 last year. That means 8 people instead of 6 going into the semi-finals which will take 5 programmes next week. The finals are scheduled for the following week - Mon 19th - Wed 21st.

I still think The Restaurant will follow it - whether Thursday 22nd. (PM has had a 90 min. slot on Thursdays) or the following week I know not. The 90 min. slot could be 60 mins. of Restaurant and 30 of RB's new programme.

I can't wait for those words "... and for zis reasonne ah haf put you in ze challenge":)
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'and not forgetteeng zat if you advertize food you'ave not cooked yourelf, zis eez a crime!' (raised eyebrows)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You ’ave to fart to be ze bezt"
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant wait as I love the Restaurant...but why is Dudley Moore always there?
    Forum Member
    It won't be Thursday 22nd - the Professional Masterchef final between the last three has been stretched from 2 programmes last year to four this with a 90 minute final final on the 22nd so looks like the following week.

If it is eight weeks like last year it will end the week before Christmas.
  • Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't wait any longer!! I'm dying for the new series to start :D!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the last two series so hope this one lives up to them
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new series starts at 8pm on Thursday 29th Oct putting it directly up against the ITV soaps, that will lead to a few rows in some homes I think.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    The new series starts at 8pm on Thursday 29th Oct putting it directly up against the ITV soaps, that will lead to a few rows in some homes I think.:o

Happily no problems in my house, don't watch any soaps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No nor do I but the cat does......;):o
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JuJus wrote: »

Happily no problems in my house, don't watch any soaps

nor me, and it will nicely fill the gap once Masterchef has finished.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    JuJus wrote: »
    Loved the last two series so hope this one lives up to them

I looooved last series so much, so many fabulous moments, from the father and daughter team to the classic Tatt Boy and his Gimp :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Damn. Clashes with The Daily Show.

Trailer for this late on BBC2 last night.

"You ’ave to fart to keeep ure reztaurants upen"

Bring. It. On.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The father and daughter were unbelievable. His lack of tact and diplomacy was uncomfortable to watch. No matter how good his daughter was a chef he doomed them from the very start.:o:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I like this programm and slad it starting soooon last years show where Wedneday and Thursday this years is starting on a Thursday so when is the 2nd show that week
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, I can't wait! I had no idea it was going to be on.

My favourite bit of Raymond speak is "what aaboot ze monEH?" :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was beginning to think that it wasn't coming back but I saw the trailer last night. It's starting much later in the year than previously and looks it though it will run through to 17th December.
    Did they have 9 couples last year btw?:confused:
  • FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we will never get anyone near to replace Tatt Boy and The Gimp.

They were a one off and didn't understand how funny they were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member

YAY it's finally back!! Thanks for the heads up.

Oooh I'm so looking forward to the new series! I wonder if we'll be hearing more about Tatty and Gimpy's series? I'm so pleased they're going to be back on TV- long live T&G!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I was beginning to think that it wasn't coming back but I saw the trailer last night. It's starting much later in the year than previously and looks it though it will run through to 17th December.
    Did they have 9 couples last year btw?:confused:

Yes it was 9 couples last year how many is it this year and idea any body
    Forum Member
    kwscott wrote: »
    Yes it was 9 couples last year how many is it this year and idea any body

It was 9 couples last year but only 8 Restaurants - there was an initial cook-off to eliminate one couple - the famous tinned mango puree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/restaurant/restaurateurs/restaurateurs_2.shtml

This year 8 would take us to the week before Christmas, which seems about right- I think it is a compliment to last year that it has been given the run-up to Christmas, which is the peak of prime time.

T&G then have their own series in the New Year:).

You will see from earlier posts that I have located 4 of the restaurants. Anyone else have any leads?
This discussion has been closed.