Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, just read through a few pages, very interesting reading, a little bit spooky too!
  • Options
    DahuDahu Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I've walked the same route many a time in the past (got the bus on that particular morning!) One reason I got the bus is that very creepy, lonely stretch by that field where the police were searching recently.

Are we talking the walk down Melrosegate? I used to live there years ago don't remember it being in the least bit dangerous. Have things changed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worrywort wrote: »
    I don't know if this one has been mentioned or not but definitely one of the weirdest I've read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

This is so strange, all the coincidences, bizzare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feline666 wrote: »
    This is so strange, all the coincidences, bizzare.

Yeah, I found that one fascinating!

I wonder if we will ever get a definitive answer to some of today's cases.

Maddy Mccann (don't discuss the ins and outs of this, I don't want my thread to go Whoosh!)

Claudia Lawrence

Ben Needham? Although wasnt there something that "solved" that one, just unofficially?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dahu wrote: »
    Are we talking the walk down Melrosegate? I used to live there years ago don't remember it being in the least bit dangerous. Have things changed?

I dunno the name of it although I (used to) walk through there a lot but recognised it on the local news as the place I walked past. It is a residential street - lot of 1930s houses mainly, some older - lets out onto a big thoroughfare with uni playing fields, some scrub land, bushes, etc that come right down to the road. I've walked along it many a time in the past in broad daylight and felt very unsettled, as although it's virtually on the campus, it feels very empty a lot of the time. I think over the years there has been the odd student raped on that stretch of road - was one I read about a while ago but I don;t think it was the first.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tunguska event has always intruiged me, but more to do with the overall scale of it - the explosion said to be 1,000 times as powerful as the Hiroshima bomb, and the shockwave apparently being around a 5 on the richter scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tunguska event has always intruiged me, but more to do with the overall scale of it - the explosion said to be 1,000 times as powerful as the Hiroshima bomb, and the shockwave apparently being around a 5 on the richter scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Wow, thats mad!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Yeah, I found that one fascinating!

I wonder if we will ever get a definitive answer to some of today's cases.

Maddy Mccann (don't discuss the ins and outs of this, I don't want my thread to go Whoosh!)

Claudia Lawrence

Ben Needham? Although wasnt there something that "solved" that one, just unofficially?

Do you have any info on this or llinks? I have been interested in this case for years as he is/would have been the same age as my older son:(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Anybody mentioned Oak Island yet?

Seriously, it's a great story. Give the link a click.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Anybody mentioned Oak Island yet?

Seriously, it's a great story. Give the link a click.

Even if the "Money Pit" is a sinkhole, it might well have some cool stuff in it. Things get lost and thrown down sinkholes by people throughout history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Do you have any info on this or llinks? I have been interested in this case for years as he is/would have been the same age as my older son:(

Sorry, no. Just a vague remembrance of someone somewhere saying there was a theory he had been killed accidentally by a family member - Stephen?? or something, because he'd gone out on this Stephen's moped....

But I think thats all speculative and I may be making it up! Maybe someone else remembers the same thing. Either that or I am thinking of a COMPLETELY different case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Sorry, no. Just a vague remembrance of someone somewhere saying there was a theory he had been killed accidentally by a family member - Stephen?? or something, because he'd gone out on this Stephen's moped....

But I think thats all speculative and I may be making it up! Maybe someone else remembers the same thing. Either that or I am thinking of a COMPLETELY different case.

No, you're not making it up, I've heard that the police suspected his uncle (may have been called Stephen) of having hidden Ben's body after an accident.
    The question then is "where is the body?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Republicans

I don't see how anyone can be a Republican this day and age after all the crap they have done and are still doing yet so many are.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    No, you're not making it up, I've heard that the police suspected his uncle (may have been called Stephen) of having hidden Ben's body after an accident.
    The question then is "where is the body?"
    I think the police noticed damage to his bike, but the uncle maintains to this day that it was the result of an earlier collision. I think he also allowed himself to be hypnotised for a TV programme to stop all the speculation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/29/missing-child-ben-needham
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ah right, yes I know what you're talking about now. I saw a documentary and if I remember correctly I think there was speculation that his uncle had accidentally run him over, also his uncle had refused to be hypnotised about the event when the rest of the family agreed to be hypnotised.

Although I believe he later agreed to be hypnotised, just not for the documentary.

Just realised Dan has posted the same as me:o
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    The Andrew Gosden case really bothers me. He literally has just vanished from the face of the earth for no apparent reason? God only knows where he is now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i still believe Ben Needham is still alive.
    i am sickened by the photo's of the paper boy Johnny, what that poor child must of gone through :(
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great thread - spent all afternoon catching up on it....

I still think Ben Needham is alive too. I think he was taken to Turkey and sold on. He'd be in his early 20's now though and wouldn't even remember his life before. Even if he was found - I doubt he'd want to start a new life now.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the police noticed damage to his bike, but the uncle maintains to this day that it was the result of an earlier collision. I think he also allowed himself to be hypnotised for a TV programme to stop all the speculation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/29/missing-child-ben-needham

Yeah, we mentioned it here ...though it would never stand up in court, he confessed under hypnosis and this tied in with a shop assistant seeing Ben with a 'teenager' an hour after he was missing.

However, many believe the Greek police suggested the scenario to the uncle so it will always be odd.

:(
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, we mentioned it here ...though it would never stand up in court, he confessed under hypnosis and this tied in with a shop assistant seeing Ben with a 'teenager' an hour after he was missing.

However, many believe the Greek police suggested the scenario to the uncle so it will always be odd.

:(

To be fair, I don't think I've read anywhere that he confessed under hypnosis. I thought the result of the TV one cleared him?
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency and extremely powerful underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

The Nazca Lines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines

I've forgotten the name but I remember reading about three siblings from Australia who disappered in the 60's or 70's. I wonder what happened to them ?
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a book in the early 90's called "True Mysteries".There was 1 story from the book that has always stuck in my mind.

It was a story from the 80's in which a guy drove into a petrol station & asked if he could use the toilet.The attendant handed over the key & the man went round to the side of the station.After about 10-15 mins the guy hadn't come back with the key.The attendant went round to the toliet & saw that the door was shut & the key was in the lock.The attendant knocked on the door & when there was no reply they opened the door & no one was there.Not only had the guy disappeared but he had also left his car behind.