Options

Do you think that Tom Baker's curator will ever be explained?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you think that Baker's curator will have any importance in the following seasons? Will his identity be explained? Would you like it to be explained or to stay as a mystery?
Or is he just fan pleasing 50th anniversary suprise cameo and nothing more?

As for what he said, do you think his words 'you might find yourself revisiting a few, but just the old favorites' says something about following seasons? Is he the last Doctor who knows everything about Doctor's future?

Comments

• Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some things don't need explaining.

This is just about the only thing from the last 4yrs that would be spoiled by being explained further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id say no.

I dont think Tom will appear again in the series either.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that would have needed explaining, considering 11 had just had conversations with both WD and 10 about how they wouldn't remember, Is if the Doctor had remembered his conversation with The Curator and, through that, been aware that the Time Lords were still around...

...However, in TTOTD, the 11th Doctor rediscovers that the Time Lords are in another universe without needing to remember that conversation with the Curator...

...So there need be no confusion. The Curator was obviously a later incarnation of the Doctor... (Anyone who thinks that it was only implied vaguely needs to watch it a few more times) ...but
    there's no need for the Doctor to mention their meeting unless they should meet again at which point the 12th Doctor would, for the duration of their timelines crossing, remember their previous conversation.

:)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope not.
    A bit of mystery is better than full explanations of everything.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    The only thing that would have needed explaining, considering 11 had just had conversations with both WD and 10 about how they wouldn't remember, Is if the Doctor had remembered his conversation with The Curator and, through that, been aware that the Time Lords were still around...

...However, in TTOTD, the 11th Doctor rediscovers that the Time Lords are in another universe without needing to remember that conversation with the Curator...

...So there need be no confusion. The Curator was obviously a later incarnation of the Doctor... (Anyone who thinks that it was only implied vaguely needs to watch it a few more times) ...but
    there's no need for the Doctor to mention their meeting unless they should meet again at which point the 12th Doctor would, for the duration of their timelines crossing, remember their previous conversation.

Actually I think you may be a tad confused. The Eleventh Doctor remembers the events of Day of the Doctor; it's Tennant and Hurt who don't because they were pulled from their respective time streams for the events to take place. For Eleven, DOTD is the next episode to take place within his personal linear timeline. Hence he already knows by Time of the Doctor that the Time Lords could still be out there and it's also the reason that upon having Handles review the planet Trenzalore and claiming it to be Gallifrey, the Doctor says it can't be and Clara tells him that perhaps it is Gallifrey and that maybe what he did to save Gallifrey actually worked.

However, I still don't think the Curator will ever be mentioned again. The scene was just a nod to the past for the benefit of the audience, not for the Doctor.
  • Options
    Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Actually I think you may be a tad confused. The Eleventh Doctor remembers the events of Day of the Doctor; it's Tennant and Hurt who don't because they were pulled from their respective time streams for the events to take place. For Eleven, DOTD is the next episode to take place within his personal linear timeline. Hence he already knows by Time of the Doctor that the Time Lords could still be out there and it's also the reason that upon having Handles review the planet Trenzalore and claiming it to be Gallifrey, the Doctor says it can't be and Clara tells him that perhaps it is Gallifrey and that maybe what he did to save Gallifrey actually worked.

However, I still don't think the Curator will ever be mentioned again. The scene was just a nod to the past for the benefit of the audience, not for the Doctor.

You've misunderstood him. The WD and 10 didn't remember the events of DOTD because their timelines were out of sync. The 11th Doctor will remember all the events of DOTD except the meeting at the end with The Curator as in that moment his timeline was out of sync
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Will2911 wrote: »
    You've misunderstood him. The WD and 10 didn't remember the events of DOTD because their timelines were out of sync. The 11th Doctor will remember all the events of DOTD except the meeting at the end with The Curator as in that moment his timeline was out of sync

Not necessarily. Regardless of what Shoppy says, there's nothing to confirm (or even strongly hint) that the Curator is a future incarnation of the Doctor, or in fact any incarnation of the Doctor. Unless it's made explicit that he doesn't remember (because of course they made it explicit in all the other cases), I think we have to assume that he does remember.
    DOCTOR: I never forget a face.
    CURATOR: I know you don't. And in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favourites, eh?
    [...]
    DOCTOR: Is that what I'm supposed to do now? Go looking for Gallifrey?
    CURATOR: Oh, it's entirely up to you. Your choice, eh? I can only tell you what I would do if I were you. Oh, if I were you. Oh, perhaps I was you, of course. Or perhaps you are me.
    So lots of 'perhaps', and past tenses, not future ones. A nod to history, not a promise of the future.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily. Regardless of what Shoppy says, there's nothing to confirm (or even strongly hint) that the Curator is a future incarnation of the Doctor, or in fact any incarnation of the Doctor. Unless it's made explicit that he doesn't remember (because of course they made it explicit in all the other cases), I think we have to assume that he does remember.

I disagree. There is no doubt at all that the Curator was a future Doctor. That conversation (not to mention the Curator's procurement of the Gallifrey Falls painting) makes no sense in any other context.

I don't think we need any further confirmation of that in future episodes and don't expect any.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I hope it's not explored further either.
    Tom's appearance in The Day of the Doctor was a wonderful surprise, and should be left as just a lovely memory.
    It doesn't need to be revisited.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I disagree. There is no doubt at all that the Curator was a future Doctor. That conversation (not to mention the Curator's procurement of the Gallifrey Falls painting) makes no sense in any other context.

I don't think we need any further confirmation of that in future episodes and don't expect any.

He could have been another aspect of The Moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It doesn't make sense in any context, particularly not that one. It's not supposed to - by design it's not giving away any clues.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

So lots of 'perhaps', and past tenses, not future ones. A nod to history, not a promise of the future.

There was plenty to strongly hint that the Curator is a future incarnation of the Doctor and that came as much from the looks that they were giving each other as the script. But I have no desire for it be confirmed anymore than I need to know if it really was the Doctors mother in the End of Time (Yes I know RTD said it was in a book, but booky wooky's don't count to me :) )
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    There was plenty to strongly hint that the Curator is a future incarnation of the Doctor and that came as much from the looks that they were giving each other as the script. But I have no desire for it be confirmed anymore than I need to know if it really was the Doctors mother in the End of Time (Yes I know RTD said it was in a book, but booky wooky's don't count to me :) )

In my opinion, the mysterious woman (and the Watcher, for that matter) should have been explained within the narrative of those episodes. (And we should have seen Amy and Rory on the Welsh hillside from their perspective at some point - but I digress! :))

The Caretaker I take as a nice present to fans and requires no further explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It doesn't make sense in any context, particularly not that one. It's not supposed to - by design it's not giving away any clues.

Really? :confused:

He as much as out right stated he was a future Doctor, I really don't see how anyone can have any doubts about it at all.

There's certainly no doubt in my mind.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some things don't need explaining.

This is just about the only thing from the last 4yrs that would be spoiled by being explained further.

I agree, it should stay a mystery. If it was decided one way or the other if he was or wasn't the 4th Doctor, it would diminish the impact of that scene when you watch it from now on.

I really don't get this obsession to have everything explained nowadays. The 'is the Capaldi Doctor's likeness to his character in Fires of Pompeii going to be explained.' is just typical of this sort of obsession. I like mystery's like this. The Woman In White in The End Of Time is another good example. It provides much thought provoking discussion when the mystery isn't solved and that can only be a good thing.

• Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Was he the 4th Doctor from an alternate timeline who survived far longer? Was he a future Doctor who revisited an old face? Was he another Time Lord who used the same 'body' template as the 4th Doctor for an incarnation?

We shall never know. And frankly I'm quite happy not knowing!
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Best to leave it hanging really.

For me Tom was the "final" Doctor (no.25 barring any more vanity issues) who had retired from adventuring and was living out his final days quietly as the National Gallery's curator (with a sideline in aquiring "lost" paintings).

As for the woman in white - I like to think it was a regenerated Susan - assuming that after out living her human husband all she could really do is go back to Gallifrey.

But in both cases, everyone opinions are right... and wrong.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who. Nose.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact it's subjective: for me personally it's the Doctor in the far future, maybe on his last regeneration, he retires and becomes the Curator.

As for the Lady in white - I think she's Romana.

As I said, it's subjective :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? :confused:

He as much as out right stated he was a future Doctor, I really don't see how anyone can have any doubts about it at all.

There's certainly no doubt in my mind.
    If anything, he said he was a past Doctor. Not sure where any idea about the future came from.

Obviously, he's a psychic projection of a past Doctor, caused by a freak accident involving the sonic screwdriver, a parent who loves their child very, very much, a robot who really wants to be human and all the people of Earth chanting in unison.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    If anything, he said he was a past Doctor. Not sure where any idea about the future came from.

Obviously, he's a psychic projection of a past Doctor, caused by a freak accident involving the sonic screwdriver, a parent who loves their child very, very much, a robot who really wants to be human and all the people of Earth chanting in unison.

doctor: I could be the a curator. I could be the curator of this place

curator: you know I really think you might

doctor "I never forget a face"

curator: "I know you don't, and in years to come, you might find your self revisiting a few, but just the old favourites.

curator: maybe I was you

curator: oh, you have a lot to do.

have quoted these particular lines, as to me, they show it couldn't be more obvious that he was the future doctor 'revisiting a past face'. He talk's in might's and maybe's as he dosen't want to out and out tell the doctor about his future, but you only have to actually listen to the dialogue to hear, he's practically screaming it out. It baffles me that people could think he was anything else than the future doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member

He didn't say he was a past doctor he implied he was a past face. That sometimes it's good to revisit past faces. "Am I you or are you me?", I believe he also said at one point. That's either the ravings of a lunatic or a deliberate acknowledgement that he is another incarnation of the Doctor.

Since he was entrusted as Curator of a valuable art exhibition and since he had somehow got hold of a Gallifreyan painting which should have been trapped in a pocket universe I think we can discount the possibility of a raving lunatic. Since he knew about the fate of Gallifrey, appeared much older than the fourth Doctor lived to, and had somehow acquired the Galaxy Falls No More painting (and knew it's full name) it was obvious that he was someone from a future in which Gallifrey had been recovered.

So we know he's another version of the Doctor and that he's from the future. I don't understand why people even think it's an unresolved mystery, to be honest.

Edit: Looks like Doctor Blue Box got there first!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have quoted these particular lines, as to me, they show it couldn't be more obvious that he was the future doctor 'revisiting a past face'. He talk's in might's and maybe's as he dosen't want to out and out tell the doctor about his future, but you only have to actually listen to the dialogue to hear, he's practically screaming it out. It baffles me that people could think he was anything else than the future doctor.

The dialogue, in full context, as I quoted before:
    CURATOR: Oh, it's entirely up to you. Your choice, eh? I can only tell you what I would do if I were you. Oh, if I were you. Oh, perhaps I was you, of course. Or perhaps you are me.
    "I was you, or you were me" can be read both ways, either as the Curator being a later version of the Doctor, or the Doctor being a later version of the Curator. And each of those can also flip either way depending on context - whether you interpret it as the Curator talking from the Doctor's perspective, or his own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I like that it's not explained. As it is, it stops some fans moaning about an explanation that might not fit into their own DW canon.
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why people even think it's an unresolved mystery, to be honest.

How long have you been watching Doctor Who? until it is explicit onscreen it is not resolved and the number of people that disagree with you who are at least open to other options show it wasn't clear cut.

So many people on this forum stated that there was no confusion, that Tenants regeneration in Stolen earth didn't count,. no debate! they were wrong but had Moffat been in a different mood when he wrote TOTD they may have been right.

There is plenty of ambiguity in the scene and it is deliberately so, it was a gift to fans to enjoy Tom Baker again and give us plenty to talk about. lets enjoy the debate and the madcap theories without trying to get one up or angry because people don't see what you see.