Pedestrians and 'the bell'

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
Each day I cycle 5 miles along the canal towpath (its a shared cycle and footpath) and of course there are people walking along too which have as much priority as me. I have two methods of letting them know I am behind and would like to pass - ringing the bell at them or speaking to them.

I used to use the bell, however some people took this as 'pushy' and instead of moving to one side chose to ignore the ringing and just carry on walking.
I then tried what I consider to be the better option, slowing down to their speed and speaking to them politely "excuse me, please may I pass by" and "thank you" after passing but this seems to upset people more. They get quite uppity "you scared me half to death - why don't you use the bell" or some other moan.

I don't understand it - there am I with a smile and trying to be nice and all I get is moaning. It's not like cyclists are unexpected - its quite a busy route.
Any suggestions on how to get past without issue?

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ring the bell, say thanks as you pass and if they give you attitude after that fcuk em:)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i get off and walk past if i can`t go wide, i`ve no way of knowing if the pedestrian is deaf or wearing earphones. i`ve nearly been bowled over by idiots on bikes coming past fast and close, and i do give them a gobfull from the fright.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ring the bell and screw what they think of you. You're doing the correct thing so it's their problem not yours.

You could also buy one of these for the benefit of people wearing headphones - http://www.airzound.co.uk

Although for the record, only once have I used my AirZound on a pedestrian and that's because they walked gaily off the kerb looking at their phone without a care in the world.
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Just ring the bell and screw what they think of you. You're doing the correct thing so it's their problem not yours.

You could also buy one of these for the benefit of people wearing headphones - http://www.airzound.co.uk

Although for the record, only once have I used my AirZound on a pedestrian and that's because they walked gaily off the kerb looking at their phone without a care in the world.

what if they`re deaf? i`m hearing impaired and i don`t always hear a bell, an air horn right behind could easily make someone jump INTO your path or the road, canal, hedge other cyclists or pedestrians.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you could ride around the person. I think you see it as 'this is my cycle lane, get out of it'...

You will avoid all confrontation too if you did the above.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    i get off and walk past if i can`t go wide, i`ve no way of knowing if the pedestrian is deaf or wearing earphones. i`ve nearly been bowled over by idiots on bikes coming past fast and close, and i do give them a gobfull from the fright.

I have tried this method - getting off, walking briskly and then say excuse me to pass and even that got me moaned at.

I wish more people were like the school kids I pass - I say 'scuse me, they move over a bit, give me a smile (which I reciprocate) and we're all on our way.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't get passed then wait, I walk faster than most people but I don't expect them to move out of my way if they are slower walkers, people who tingle the bell do irk me it's just rude expecting people to move out of the way if you can't get passed then wait people have as much right to walk on the path as the cyclist has it shouldn't be a shared one if there isn't enough room to get passed.

I personally would like to see cycle/bike sharing paths banned I had to jump out of the way last week when one cyclist over took another and the only place he had to go was at me I had to jump onto the grass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what if they`re deaf? i`m hearing impaired and i don`t always hear a bell, an air horn right behind could easily make someone jump INTO your path or the road, canal, hedge other cyclists or pedestrians.
    Who said anything about being "right behind"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    If you can't get passed then wait, I walk faster than most people but I don't expect them to move out of my way if they are slower walkers, people who tingle the bell do irk me it's just rude expecting people to move out of the way if you can't get passed then wait people have as much right to walk on the path as the cyclist has it shouldn't be a shared one if there isn't enough room to get passed.
    Didn't take long for the source of the problem to appear.

The standard advice for cyclists using shared paths is to ring the bell when coming up behind anyone, regardless if they're in your way. It's a simple courtesy to avoid surprises.

But no, people like you think it's "rude".
    I personally would like to see cycle/bike sharing paths banned I had to jump out of the way last week when one cyclist over took another and the only place he had to go was at me I had to jump onto the grass.
    Great idea. Let's make the paths exclusive for cyclists.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with a quick 'ding' by a cyclist and will move out of their way (albeit towards the edge furthest from the water). Most are polite and say thanks.

However, it is difficult if people are deaf or have headphones on, as you have no real right to pass or get angry if they don't move.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Each day I cycle 5 miles along the canal towpath (its a shared cycle and footpath) and of course there are people walking along too which have as much priority as me. I have two methods of letting them know I am behind and would like to pass - ringing the bell at them or speaking to them.

I used to use the bell, however some people took this as 'pushy' and instead of moving to one side chose to ignore the ringing and just carry on walking.
    I then tried what I consider to be the better option, slowing down to their speed and speaking to them politely "excuse me, please may I pass by" and "thank you" after passing but this seems to upset people more. They get quite uppity "you scared me half to death - why don't you use the bell" or some other moan.

I don't understand it - there am I with a smile and trying to be nice and all I get is moaning. It's not like cyclists are unexpected - its quite a busy route.
    With some people you can't win whatever you do. They'll either moan at you for using a bell, or moan at you for not using a bell. Or they won't hear you whatever you do, because they are cocooned in their music.

I slow on approach and speak politely. This usually works. A friend I mountain bike with (canal towpaths form a small part of our repertoire) has a sort of whistling leitmotif he uses whenever he approaches people. That also seems to work most of the time but irritates the hell out of me.
    Forum Member
    Who said anything about being "right behind"?

i`m guessing you aren`t going to blast your airhorn once you`re past and you wouldn`t have to be that close up for an airhorn to make a person jump.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't take long for the source of the problem to appear.

The standard advice for cyclists using shared paths is to ring the bell when coming up behind anyone, regardless if they're in your way. It's a simple courtesy to avoid surprises.

But no, people like you think it's "rude".

Great idea. Let's make the paths exclusive for cyclists.

And your reply is so polite in every sentence.

Being tinkled at is rude you have no more right to move me out of the way than I have to move you if you can't get past. WAIT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    You can ring my belllllllllllllll, ring my bell, my bell, ring a ding a ding

*sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`m guessing you aren`t going to blast your airhorn once you`re past and you wouldn`t have to be that close up for an airhorn to make a person jump.
    Who said anything about "blast[ing]"?
    I didn't intend it to be.
    Being tinkled at is rude you have no more right to move me out of the way
    And you have no right to block my route if there's plenty space for us to share the path. Which is why I would ring my bell.
    than I have to move you if you can't get past. WAIT.
    Why would you be moving me if I can't get past?
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you could ride around the person. I think you see it as 'this is my cycle lane, get out of it'...

You will avoid all confrontation too if you did the above.

It's a shared path no more than 1.5 meters wide so not possible to pass safely without us both taking care otherwise there is a risk of going into the canal (which I have seen happen).
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only speak for myself but I really dont like bicycle bells - I find it obnoxious, on the basis that at least some people ring them continuously. Its the shrill noise that makes me really tense. Its probably something to do with the fact I had noise sensitivity as a child, so sudden high tone noises that you maybe dont expect, can give me a slight fright.

It happens along the canal towpath near where I live. I think if its quiet enough, I should be able to hear if someone is approaching because you can hear the noise of the bike wheels scrunching the stones on the ground, perhaps? one ring should be fine for me personally, since my hearing is quite good but what does my head in is/are cyclists who ring their bell multiple times continuously and bike fast.

I don't tend to move in right to the far side of the path and stop walking just to let them through, as in my estimations there should be more than enough room for them to pass, as long as no-one is coming the other way, so I just move to the side of the path but I keep moving as when im walking along there, I'm doing a half hour walk whre im supposed to keep my heart rate above a certain level, yadda yadda. As long as there's enough room for people to pass then I don't see the issue? but I think the only thing I really dislike is when people fly along the path and only warn people by ringing their bell, maybe 3/4/5 times. If we, as pedestrians, are expected by them to slow down for them and we're both equally allowed to use the path, why don't they slow down a little too?.

I'm sure there are plenty of well behaved, pleasant cyclists too, just there are numerous pushy ones as well. It actually stresses me out when I hear the bell rung so many times - a bit ironic considering such walks are supposed to be a form of de-stressing, which I apparently really need(!).

ETA - the other thing thats ocassionally happens, which genuinely baffles me, is if they ring their bell, I move in to the side, their still a bit behind me so I keep moving, they ring their bell again and I stop for a moment, briefly, just so they'll go past as their right behind me and so they'll get out of my way and they keep ringing it again! like what more can I do, honestly? head back home?. If its a child then I suppose I let that go as they probably don't realise its rude, though I'd hope their parent(s) would tell them not to over use the bell but if its an adult, there's no excuse as far as im concerned. One ring on the approach is enough, surely? not that it does any good if the pedestrian is listening to an iPod or something - they probably can't hear you anyway. I'm not sure what the answer is as such - wider paths ideally(!).
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »

Try steering your bicycle around people.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Being tinkled at is rude you have no more right to move me out of the way than I have to move you if you can't get past. WAIT.

Here's an idea. How about, you know, just being nice? It takes no effort for someone to move over a bit if someone is coming up behind you. It's got nothing to do with rights, just don't be an arsehole. I don't like buzzing past people on a bike as it sometimes surprises them, so even if there is room I will normally make sure they know I'm there.

I find it better to slow and say "Hi, excuse me" than ring a bell, it's just a bit more personable. Usually followed up with "lovely day/miserable weather eh?" and "thank you".
    Forum Member
    Who said anything about "blast[ing]"?

I didn't intend it to be.

And you have no right to block my route if there's plenty space for us to share the path. Which is why I would ring my bell.

Why would you be moving me if I can't get past?

press then :rolleyes :, it`s still loud enough to cause a fright.

if there`s room to go round safely why would you need to ring your bell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Here's an idea. How about, you know, just being nice? It takes no effort for someone to move over a bit if someone is coming up behind you. It's got nothing to do with rights, just don't be an arsehole. I don't like buzzing past people on a bike as it sometimes surprises them, so even if there is room I will normally make sure they know I'm there.

I find it better to slow and say "Hi, excuse me" than ring a bell, it's just a bit more personable. Usually followed up with "lovely day/miserable weather eh?" and "thank you".

How about you just stop your bike until there is room to pass and don't be an arsehole expecting people to move out of your way.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Here's an idea. How about, you know, just being nice? It takes no effort for someone to move over a bit if someone is coming up behind you. It's got nothing to do with rights, just don't be an arsehole.

I take it you hold the same view of car drivers attempting to pass bicyclists on a road?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bet you wouldn't like it a car, bus or lorry tooted there horn at you everytime they wanted to pass, do you move your bike to the side of the road everytime a faster vehicle wants to pass?
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you explain the people who complain at you when you speak to them but do not use a bell?

And if you think I'm going to amble on behind you for several miles, you are very much mistaken. Luckily, I've never encountered anyone like you in real life!
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Consideration makes the world go round.