Options

Do you consume 20g of sugar a day?

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently, the average person consumes 22g of sugar a day. How much do you have?

For reference- A can of coke about 10g, a bar of chocolate about 10g, one teaspoon is about 5g. Or something.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i probably do that but all in one day when i`ve got a sweet tooth, other times i don`t eat anything sweet for days or sometimes weeks.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot more than 10g of sugar in a can of coke. Try like 40. I stick to Diet. I try and consume very little sugar because my skin flares up if I have too much. I probably have about 15g - and that comes from breakfast cereal and a low fat yoghurt.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I drink a lot of fruit juice and smoothies so I'm probably above average.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I practically live on the stuff. Got to have coffee :)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consume less sugar than average
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    When a serving of Heinz Baked Beans contains at least 10 grams of sugar, it's not just sweets, biscuits and fizzy drinks you should be checking!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    240g in a 2lt bottle of coke, plus 190g in a bag of jelly babies.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked on the side of the tin of imported F&N Sarsi I was drinking. It says one tin contains 38g of sugar.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consume a lot more most days. :blush:

Just so you're aware, there's 35g of sugar in a 330ml (average) can of coke.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just 22 grams?

"The average person in Britain consumes about 700g of sugar a week* - that’s 140 teaspoons..." http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/low-sugar-healthy-snacks.aspx
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Just 22 grams?

"The average person in Britain consumes about 700g of sugar a week* - that’s 140 teaspoons..." http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/low-sugar-healthy-snacks.aspx

or if you take 2 sugars, 12.5 cups of tea or coffee a day. i dont drink that much so probably getting a bit from somewhere else. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or if you take 2 sugars, 12.5 cups of tea or coffee a day. i dont drink that much so probably getting a bit from somewhere else. :D

Don't forget the lactose in your milk for your tea! It all counts! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    22g is a bit on the low side, a pint of milk has 25g (lactose).
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A typical chocolate bar will contain between 20 and 40g of sugar.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the average person consumes 22g of sugar a day. How much do you have?

For reference- A can of coke about 10g, a bar of chocolate about 10g, one teaspoon is about 5g. Or something.

Hmm...

http://www.ad-informatica.com/davideandreani/lattine/CocaCola%28USA32Sides%29%5B1%5D.jpg
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That seems suspiciously low. If I have 4 Weetabix, that's a teaspoon on each biscuit, so 20g before I've been awake 30 minutes. I'd expect most people to be around or above the GDA: 70g for men, 50g for women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    That seems suspiciously low. If I have 4 Weetabix, that's a teaspoon on each biscuit, so 20g before I've been awake 30 minutes. I'd expect most people to be around or above the GDA: 70g for men, 50g for women.

The recommendation for sugar is a lot higher than that.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1139.aspx?categoryid=51&subcategoryid=167

Of course, the recommendation depends on various things.

Edit: I remember putting a tablespoon of sugar on each of the two weetabix that I used to have back in the '90s. That's about 24gms.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An average apple has 20g of sugar in it so I really doubt that 22g is an accurate figure of what we consume .If we are all encouraged to eat 5 a day of fruit and veg then something's not right !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    An average apple has 20g of sugar in it so I really doubt that 22g is an accurate figure of what we consume .If we are all encouraged to eat 5 a day of fruit and veg then something's not right !!

They haven't even linked to the site that they got this obviously wrong information from.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    are we talking about 22g of refined sugar a la tate and lyle or ALL sugars?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm well over average.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No idea.

If I want it, I'll have it, no matter what the recommendation is and I'm not counting.

Some days I don't have anything sweet and I drink a max of 3 hot drinks per week, with one teaspoonful of sugar in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guideline Daily Amount for sugars is 90 grams. How they arrived at that number I have no idea.
    http://www.gdalabel.org.uk/gda/gdalabel/nutrients.aspx#item2

I count carbohydrates, not sugar, so unless I have to treat a hypo I'm averaging around 60-70 grams of carbs a day, which includes 6 grams of sugar that comes from my daily dose of dark chocolate. I don't usually have any other added sugar, so I reckon my total daily intake is well below average.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    When a serving of Heinz Baked Beans contains at least 10 grams of sugar, it's not just sweets, biscuits and fizzy drinks you should be checking!

I prefer the reduced sugar and salt ones when I buy a tin. I prefer to make my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bother adding salt to things like baked beans, but have to with other things like potatoes and whatnot that don't have salt in them.