Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

Comments

• ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ondine wrote: »
    They do another programme called Wanted Down Under Revisited. There was a repeat shown just before Xmas on BBC2. For some of the couples, it took more than a year before the move took place which is why, I suspect, they can't do an update at the end. It also makes cheap TV as they show the original programme again and tack an extra 10/15 minutes at the end showing whether they moved or not.

Yes, saw a couple of those but, as you say, it's nothing but cheap tv by showing what is essentially a repeat with a 5 minute update at the end. I would have thought they don't show the originals until a few months after filming anyway, so it would be useful to say something like 'on arrival back to the UK, they put their house on the market and are making plans to move/they decided to stay in the uk' etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No intention at all, a free holiday and their mugs on the tv. They would have had no chance of getting work in Oz because he is a well dodgy spark and her expierence is way overstated.

I'm surprised that the host is not using anti depressants after spending time in their company.

They have few friends and those that are still in contact have the Samaritans on speedial.:D

Samaritans on speedial! LOL

BIB I didn't think so. It was never explained how they could sell their house for £120k and buy one for £300k with no jobs secured.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just buying a house, if you haven't got a particular trade to get a visa, it costs £1,000's to get a visa and you have to go on a waiting list for a couple of years!!! :(
  • gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Its not about 'insisting' on living here, I certainly do not, my husband is from Northern Ireland and contracted to work here. We wont be here forever I tell you ;)
    I don't know any expat who 'insists' on living here...odd turn of phrase:confused:
    The majority of Australians live in Australia for a good reason...:cool:

Of course you won't! Thank goodness. Spoken like a true Australian.:rolleyes:
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    That didn't make sense, she was spending £900 a month renting in London, surely there are hospitals nearer to Glasgow that need midwives.

Not since the government cuts. Nhs recruitment budgets have been frozen.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the majority that most people who go on this show fully anticipate to exchange a damp 2up 2 down terrace in SToke (no offence) for a mansion with a pool on Bondai Beach and a top salary.

And the way they drag out the silly vote with laminated flags about five times is just dull.

Still watch it tho :o
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're so mean you really are.

Did their their Family and Friends video exhibit a positive hope or expectation that this miserable couple would move to Oz ?
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on this prog

its the same old story time and again

you have a couple with completely unrealistic expectations on the the houses/Job/"lifestyle" that they can afford in OZ

they seem to do no homework AT ALL about prices jobs or climate

I just dunno where they get there idea of what life is gonna be like?? what Neighbours??

they think that its some kind of fix for there sad little lives thats why over 30% return within a year

I think its just a excuse for a free holiday
    I've just returned from visiting family in Australia. They have bought the most amazing house. Four bed, two bath, pool but they don't have any money to spare at all and are using credit cards just to keep up. I hope they can get through this but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up coming back home in a year or two. Yes the wages are much higher but so are the costs. The grass is not always greener etc etc
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can guess where this lot end up.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the Scottish midwife woman then I agree, she is a family friend on the OH side, dreadfully woman. And she is Bull Shitting about not getting work in Scotland. Her attitude has hacked many a person off over the years.

If the oh was pregnant then I'd hate her to be her midwife.

Yes, got that impression too. Her eyes positively lit up when the Australian midwife moreless said they'd be fighting over her! I can't believe for one moment that she can't find a job in Scotland, so the fact that she's rather spend weeks away in London rather than find work locally and live her hubby and son speaks volumes.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I love this show...if only to be a bit nosey & have a little chuckle...

todays quote from Mum whilst arriving in New Zealand...

'looking forward to seeing the houses'

No mention of the spectacular scenery, jobs etc Nope first mention the houses...

I enjoy watching the follow ups & there are several who've made a success of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I love this show...if only to be a bit nosey & have a little chuckle...

todays quote from Mum whilst arriving in New Zealand...

'looking forward to seeing the houses'

No mention of the spectacular scenery, jobs etc Nope first mention the houses...

I enjoy watching the follow ups & there are several who've made a success of it

I can't see how they will ever be able to afford it, again they were shown houses 200K over their budget and he would only be earning about 35K a year.
    Forum Member
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I can't see how they will ever be able to afford it, again they were shown houses 200K over their budget and he would only be earning about 35K a year.

I think its amazing that the families seem to want houses that are far bigger than they have at home...for peanuts.
    Personally I would go smaller if it meant being able to go & start a new life. It would be the country & the lifestyle that I would be moving for.
    Also todays family, why even think about emigrating when the children are the ages they are?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see the whole show but I got the impression that one of the daughters had no intention of moving over and that the Mum would not move over without her daughter. So the decision had been made really and they just wanted to go for a free holiday and a chance to be on the telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see the whole show but I got the impression that one of the daughters had no intention of moving over and that the Mum would not move over without her daughter. So the decision had been made really and they just wanted to go for a free holiday and a chance to be on the telly.

Yes, but they did seem a nice little family, unlike yesterdays charmless couple.
    Forum Member

Yes, the eldest was 18 & going to Uni in the UK to study Midwifery. Mum wouldn't go without daughter but daughter said if Mum wanted to go then she wouldn't stop her. Daughter had no intention of going as she had a UK boyfriend, So yes...decision already made...how do the BBC choose families?
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One parent said they'd left it ten years too late, which sums it up.

Ten years earlier, no boyfriend, no Uni place for the 18 year old.

They were a nice family I agree. Shame about the dream.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just returned from visiting family in Australia. They have bought the most amazing house. Four bed, two bath, pool but they don't have any money to spare at all and are using credit cards just to keep up. I hope they can get through this but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up coming back home in a year or two. Yes the wages are much higher but so are the costs. The grass is not always greener etc etc

You're right there, the cost of living has risen sharply since the return of the Labor party to office. Utility bills for one thing - the cost of electricity is sky high these days and many people have turned to installing wood burners to keep warm in winter. You do have to be prepared to work hard if you want to live Down Under, the benefits system is not as generous there as it is here - once was but no longer - young people have to provide detailed proof of job searching or they get no dole, single mums have to enter training or employment when the youngest goes off to school as the benefit is either cut or reduced depending on the circumstances. If you're prepared to get off your toosh, work hard and adjust your spending habits then the lifestyle on offer away from the office is worth the effort. People live for the weekend there. But as for Sydney...waaayy too crowded now, I'd not go back there to live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but they did seem a nice little family, unlike yesterdays charmless couple.

Thanks! Hadn't been able to see much of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    hiya

i dont understand some of the people on this show...... surley they do some sort of reaserch first? espeially with having the interenet surely they would look at house prices/school/jobs etc BEFORE going on the show? plus having the england house valued?

i dont see how after just one week you can get a real feel for a country and only seeing 3 houses (and one fo those being way over budget!)

surley you have to work just as hard over in australia as you do in the uk so i dont understand the "lifestyle" point.

plus whats with the "family/friend" video?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    I aways make a point of trying to watch the New Zealand episodes as I was there at the beginning of last year and loved it - for a holiday.

It's fine if you currently live in some quiet backwater where everything closes at 9pm but if you come from a vibrant town or city then NZ is not the place to move to unless it's Auckland and that's expensive.

The one thing about the work for the Dad was that there was work with the company he went to see all over NZ so an area outside of Auckland would see them get a lot more house of their money.

However, as mentioned by many others, the eldest daughter was adamant she would not move, the mother said she would not go unless they all went so why feature this family ?

I get annoyed by people like this much in the same way as people house hunting on Escape To The Country that find nothing they like or put in an offer only to withdraw it after the show ends. Wasting licence payers money in my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flos wrote: »

plus whats with the "family/friend" video?

A touch of sentimentality I suppose. About 30 years back an English family from Manchester was feaured on a national current affairs show - Sixty Minutes - about life as expats in Australia. Went over like a lead balloon because the mum moaned ad nauseum about how their lives were ruined by moving to Oz. Hated the school, hated the area where they lived, hated the heat, hated the shops, the neighbours....everything. Of course when it went to air they were lambasted for their attitude. Being reinterviewed she complained that the mums at the school refused to speak to her...:rolleyes:....anyway, turned out they'd done everything opposite to what they'd been advised to do by immigration people - they went to Sydney instead of Brisbane or Adelaide where they'd been told jobs, housing etc were more affordable, they'd not taken the advice given. They were filmed returning to Manchester and reuniting with her family...her parents were asked 'What do you think of them coming home again?'...Dad said in broadest Mancunian..."Ah think they're bloody fools!"...:p...actually they returned to Oz. Wonder how they eventually got on :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister and her family went out to Adelaide, she was back within 4 years, and my Sister-in-law and her lot are moving back here after 15 years in Perth, still have family in Sydney and Perth though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to France for six years and came back to NI...hated living there (France), really did. You don't get an idea of how a place can be to live just by holidaying there because your outlook is different and circumstances are different. Husband liked it though to a certain point - places suit some people, not others. You also feel differently after months or even years. One thing important to remember though if making such a major move is not to burn all your bridges because you may need them later on...
  • kate53kate53 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched yesterdays ( the family from Glasgow ) . What a rude, ignorant , miserable couple they are ( imagine living next door to them ) . They needed to remember they were looking at other peoples homes when she described the last one as a 'dump', and expressing their opinion on camera - not clever . I think the term 'dour' Scots sums them up.