Options

Student not come home!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
Forum Member
Hi,

To keep this brief - we take in foreign language students and have done for 4 years.

This afternoon an 18 year lad from Belarus arrived. English is quite good, but it is his first time in England. He has come alone.

This afternoon I showed him and our other student the usuals - where to get a bus, their school and the town centre. I then left them in the town centre to explore and they returned later but mentioned they got lost.

After dinner, this student explained he was going out for a walk and he left the house at approx 9pm. We are not walking distance to the town centre, there are only other houses around.

Almost 3 hours later he has not returned home and I am worried. I have got in my car and driven round the area to see if I can see him and there is no sign. I do not have his phone number although he does have mine.

I would not normally be worried, but he is just 18, alone, never been to England before and is unfamilliar with the area. On top of this, it is a sunday night and everything is shut apart from maybe a few clubs in town.

Not sure what to do.....any advice? Am I worrying over nothing? My OH thinks he is over 18 and I am over thinking things. He is right in a way, and if he had friends here or knew the area and is settled i wouldnt worry.

What to do :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a photo or description a phone call to the police if you're worried.
  • Options
    PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't know the area. It's extremely easy to get lost in another country - I've done it in every single country I've been to.

I'd probably call the police on the non-emergency number may be in another hour or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, will do, this is quite worrying....
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Do the other students have his number?
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted posted too soon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as the other s have said i would contact the local police if there is no sign of him soon.
    does he have a mobile phone on him? i know you said you don't have his number, but i would think if he had yours & he was lost he would have rung you.
    It is extremely easy to get lost in a place you don't know :(
    I really hope he turns up soon, he may be 18 but it is still a worry that he's been out for hours in an area he doesn't know.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd give it til 1am at the latest - that way it's 4 hours, and the ring the local police, as others have said
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he turns up soon, OP. How worrying. :( If he isn't there soon, please do call the police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other student doesnt have his number.

I can only presume he took his phone with him. To be honest that is the only bit that is keeping me calm, surely he would phone me if he was lost/in trouble? He seems a really nice, sensible lad. He certainly looks like he can take care of himself too, he must be at least 6 foot 2 +

Anyway, will leave it til 1am and give the local police a ring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other student doesnt have his number.

I can only presume he took his phone with him. To be honest that is the only bit that is keeping me calm, surely he would phone me if he was lost/in trouble? He seems a really nice, sensible lad. He certainly looks like he can take care of himself too, he must be at least 6 foot 2 +

Anyway, will leave it til 1am and give the local police a ring.

yeah do try not to worry too much, because i do think if he was lost he would have tried to call you by now.
    But yeah give it till 1am then call the police & explain the situation, hopefully they will be able to help you. Do keep us all informed though OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phoned police on local number. Asked me a load of questions and gave me an incident number & I must phone back to let them know if he comes back.

Still nothing.

He went out in knee length shorts and a t-shirt and a square bag. Everything else is still in his room.

Unlikely he went to a nightclub given his attire. The only thing I can think of is that he does know someone in the area who he hasnt mentioned, or he came with other students he knew and he is with them. However, this is very unusual behaviour and we are experience with taking in students. Bearing in mind he has to be at school tomorrow morning at 8.30 and be at the bus stop at 7.40!

Unless he is staying with someone else??

Really have no idea !! I would have thought if he had decided to stay with someone else he would have let me know.

Re the phone - surely he would have called me if lost etc....but then what if he has been mugged/lost his phone/has no credit etc
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Phoned police on local number. Asked me a load of questions and gave me an incident number & I must phone back to let them know if he comes back.

Still nothing.

He went out in knee length shorts and a t-shirt and a square bag. Everything else is still in his room.

Unlikely he went to a nightclub given his attire. The only thing I can think of is that he does know someone in the area who he hasnt mentioned, or he came with other students he knew and he is with them. However, this is very unusual behaviour and we are experience with taking in students. Bearing in mind he has to be at school tomorrow morning at 8.30 and be at the bus stop at 7.40!

Unless he is staying with someone else??

Really have no idea !! I would have thought if he had decided to stay with someone else he would have let me know.

Re the phone - surely he would have called me if lost etc....but then what if he has been mugged/lost his phone/has no credit etc

That's really worrying for you. Let's hope he comes home soon. You'll be furious if he stays with a friend for the night!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bloody worrying, never had this happened before.

I am so angry with myself as I didnt take his number.

If it turns out he is staying elsewhere with a friend I will be so angry. We need to sleep - hubby has to be up for work at 5am and myself at 7.20.
  • Options
    cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not call the course manager (or whatever the role is) and report it? Surely they would have his number and will try to contact him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bloody worrying, never had this happened before.

I am so angry with myself as I didnt take his number.

If it turns out he is staying elsewhere with a friend I will be so angry. We need to sleep - hubby has to be up for work at 5am and myself at 7.20.

But he just said he was going for a walk? That was all?

What did the police say? I presume not an awful lot.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is quite worrying, but try not to worry too much. Maybe he's found a local pub, having a drink and has lost track of time? Is there any other way of contacting him, maybe through twitter/facebook, if he's on these sites and uses them regularly on his phone, maybe getting the other student to contact him through social networking sites? He has his phone with him, maybe it's ran out of battery?

I really hope he gets in touch with you soon and makes his way home, so you can put your mind at rest. Please update this thread Cloudy, and let us now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you not call the course manager (or whatever the role is) and report it? Surely they would have his number and will try to contact him?

Just had a call from Dorset Police who said they have called the School's emergency number but they could not provide any contact details for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    But he just said he was going for a walk? That was all?

What did the police say? I presume not an awful lot.

Yep, that's all! Although seeing as he took a bag with him, it makes me think he had plans to meet up with someone ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just had a call from Dorset Police who said they have called the School's emergency number but they could not provide any contact details for him.

Gosh I'm impressed the police are making an effort at least.

Let's hope they happen to pick him up wandering aimlessly around if he's lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    This is quite worrying, but try not to worry too much. Maybe he's found a local pub, having a drink and has lost track of time? Is there any other way of contacting him, maybe through twitter/facebook, if he's on these sites and uses them regularly on his phone, maybe getting the other student to contact him through social networking sites? He has his phone with him, maybe it's ran out of battery?

I really hope he gets in touch with you soon and makes his way home, so you put your mind at rest. Please update this thread Cloudy, and let us now

Locals pub would have shut by now, and it is unlikely he went to a nightclub given what he was wearing.

I will check to see if he is on facebook now, although it is likely to be in Russian, but if he is on I can send a friend request through and see what happens.

Police said that they have put out an alert for him , giving his description. They did also admit it was worrying. But they told me there is nothing them or I can do further at this time.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    That is quite worrying. Hopefully he's alright and there's an innocent explanation for all of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was you I'd let your husband go to bed and you settle down with some bedding on the sofa. If you get some sleep then it's a bonus and you'll hear him as soon as he appears.

There's really nothing else you can do other than wait is there?

I really feel for you.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know if the bag had a change of clothes or overnight stuff with him? Maybe he's planned to meet with someone then? I really do hope there is a simple explanation from him when he arrives back.

Unfortunately it seems it's now the waiting game, please try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know), hopefully he'll arrive back soon, as above, I really, really feel for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should try and get some sleep CN, just keep the phone close. Hope he turns up soon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UPDATE

He is back !!

He told me he went for a walk but with a friend. He didnt tell me this in the first place and he never mentioned arriving with friends plus the majority of our students come alone. He was a bit perplexed with it all, I am just glad he is ok.

I have called local police to update and am now worried I over reacted. Better safe than sorry?

Now to sleep.....