Options

Overuse of "wrong" phrases in novels

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
(so and so) took (someone) by the elbow - just what? Never done that or said it.

"You're incorrigible" - I've read that loads of times but never ever in my entire life have I heard anyone say it!

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (so and so) took (someone) by the elbow - just what? Never done that or said it.

"You're incorrigible" - I've read that loads of times but never ever in my entire life have I heard anyone say it!

i heard it on the sound of music
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I read it in a novel.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's 'wrong' with those phrases?

I'd have assumed "dull as dish water" was a wrong phrase.

Books are meant to be literary, literary works do not need to incorporate everyday language. Dat Shakespeare is popular AF and he ain't down wit 2014 lingo. I WANT novels to continue to be of a high standard and include 'outdated' phrases. I'm a massive advocate for txt sp33k but I don't want it permeating all literature.

Dare I say it, people are stupid enough without our literature having to be dumbed down as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that's because you've never been incorrigible :cool:
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So just because you don't use them or you haven't heard other people use them they're wrong? Newsflash, you're wrong!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."
    No, Orwell, you idiot! Chiming clocks do NOT "strike thirteen", being as they are, 12-hourly instruments!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Can't say i've ever heard or read that one before.

Taken by the hand or arm yes, but elbow?
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."
    No, Orwell, you idiot! Chiming clocks do NOT "strike thirteen", being as they are, 12-hourly instruments!

Maybe the 24 hour clock struck 13?

Maybe he meant 13 as an unlucky number indicating that spring, which is supposed to be a season of rejuvenation, has now past this stage into a realm of despair?

Maybe it was his form of venting against the totalitarianism prevalent in society at that time by refusing to adhere to your 12-hourly instrument?!

One simply does not slate 1984, it's just not done! :p
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Maybe the 24 hour clock struck 13?

Maybe he meant 13 as an unlucky number indicating that spring, which is supposed to be a season of rejuvenation, has now past this stage into a realm of despair?

Maybe it was his form of venting against the totalitarianism prevalent in society at that time by refusing to adhere to your 12-hourly instrument?!

One simply does not slate 1984, it's just not done! :p

I'm sorry, it's just doublespeak! :mad:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have had someone saying that to me after I told a dirty joke. He said it with a smile. I still don't know whether to take it a compliment or not.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we stop using (reading and speaking) all of these words then we will start to lose the value in our incredibly vast and rich English language. Many of our words, such as incorrigible, have multiple meanings or shaded meanings which provide subtle nuances. Incorrigible has a meaning like "old rogue" ie naughty but nice. Our newspapers and on-line news seem to be using an ever smaller subset of dumbed down English. Eventually these words will only be one or two syllables long and the standard of reading will consequently decline.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    If we stop using (reading and speaking) all of these words then we will start to lose the value in our incredibly vast and rich English language. Many of our words, such as incorrigible, have multiple meanings or shaded meanings which provide subtle nuances. Incorrigible has a meaning like "old rogue" ie naughty but nice. Our newspapers and on-line news seem to be using an ever smaller subset of dumbed down English. Eventually these words will only be one or two syllables long and the standard of reading will consequently decline.

I agree with you. I don't think I made my original point very well. I meant that in the course of normal speech people wouldn't say that. It reminds me of the Leslie Phillips/Nigel Havers/Peter Bowles or similar characters in old telly shows!! :D
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should all start using longer, less used words so that we can build up a language that the younger generation don't understand. See how they like it.