Options

Eastenders' uprising; Corrie's decline

Comments

• Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    All soaps go through this. This time last year the roles were reversed.

This.

It happens with all soaps, albeit the period EE had from late 2010 - late 2013 was a quite exceptional mediocre period.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    Same here. Why can't people just watch the soaps they like without a 'my soap's better than your soap' thing. I just don't understand why so many people take what are after all just fictional TV programmes so seriously. Lighten up!!

I agree, this is a very childish thread, some of us like one soap, some of us like another, I still love Corrie even though it has been a bit hit and miss recently, but a soap cannot be riding high all of the time, it still gets the best ratings, so once the storylines pick up again, it will be as string as ever.

Enjoy whatever soaps you watch, and if they annoy you, do what I did and stop watching the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »
    This.

It happens with all soaps, albeit the period EE had from late 2010 - late 2013 was a quite exceptional mediocre period.

That period was atrocious wasn't it
    I also hate how everyone expects a soap to be amazing for years, because that never happens
    Corrie is already starting to pick up
    Eastenders is doing well
    Hollyoaks is abysmal at the moment
    End of story, but it will change
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Eastenders fans getting over excited just because it beat Corrie's 2nd episode.

SB has had a lot to deal with backstage actors leaving for different reasons meaning storylines had to be changed, where as DTC hasn't had any problems that's the big difference.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazza81 wrote: »
    That period was atrocious wasn't it
    I also hate how everyone expects a soap to be amazing for years, because that never happens
    Corrie is already starting to pick up
    Eastenders is doing well
    Hollyoaks is abysmal at the moment
    End of story, but it will change

Nobody seems to be mentioning Emmerdale though.

Which in my opinion was the best soap from mid to late 2013, but has got very dire now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »
    Nobody seems to be mentioning Emmerdale though.

Which in my opinion was the best soap from mid to late 2013, but has got very dire now.

I don't watch that soap
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I'm not condoning it, but the Eastenders viewers had to put up with a multitude of threads slating how bad it was from many posters who admitted they didn't even watch it.

Yes, there is no need for smugness however, because while Eastenders is doing well it could easily fall back to the same level it was before DTC took over. And just because some people feel that corrie is currently in a slump, it doesn't mean that this has to remain the case forever. It could soon be back up to it's usual level.

The petty squabbling between soap fans is one of the flaws that come with this community unfortunately.

You're right of course, Scrabbler and I wouldn't normally touch one of these flame-fanning threads, even with your bargepole, (impressive though I've heard it is).

Just sometimes, especially after I've just come in from a liquid lunch like now (:blush:), I can't resist letting the OP know that quite a lot of us see through stupidly provocative threads and won't be sucked in.

(Yes I know I've contributed to it, but not in relation to the topic of it). :D
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Same here. Why can't people just watch the soaps they like without a 'my soap's better than your soap' thing. I just don't understand why so many people take what are after all just fictional TV programmes so seriously. Lighten up!!

Happened a few years ago. Minute soaps get a good few episodes, that's it, they are brilliant and on top and other soaps suck. Give it a while and people will be back to bitching about EastEnders when it has a few bad episodes.

Remember when it had its 25th Anniversary everyone acting like it was the best thing ever, then bashing Corrie's 40th Anniversary despite the fact it was shown 10 years prior. Then a few weeks later people started moaning about the quality of the show.

I rarely see threads from other soap viewers sucking up so much when their soap does well in their eyes, just EastEnders.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this thread very ironic. Corrie hasn't been great but I've seen an improvement over the last couple of weeks. So why this thread now?
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand EE - worst soap ever - will never watch it again
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    I find this thread very ironic. Corrie hasn't been great but I've seen an improvement over the last couple of weeks. So why this thread now?

I wish I'd been watching the same show. I'm sick and tired of this Peter and Tina drivel.
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    All soaps have their ups and downs, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I think EE has improved and has better, more engaging storylines that it has had before. I've liked some things about Corrie recently (Sally always amuses me and I like the Phelan storyline), but am not a fan of the affair storyline. However, things can always change for both the better and the worse. Hollyoaks is probably the very worst right now even though I did think today's episode was quite strong and moving. However, overall they've focused on boring gangster storylines and have not executed storylines with potential (Maxine's DV, JP's rape) very well.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear Eastenders fans getting over excited just because it beat Corrie's 2nd episode.

SB has had a lot to deal with backstage actors leaving for different reasons meaning storylines had to be changed, where as DTC hasn't had any problems that's the big difference.

You're full of excuses for when corrie is poor yet you love having your digs at eastenders fans. Hilarious. I watch both corrie and eastenders and all soaps go through bad patches but I wish people like you didn't feel the need to be so bloody petty
  • Options
    MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the OP. Bye have anyone notice how ITV prioritise their soaps. They keep corrie well away from any clash with EE whilst they put their current best soap emmer dale against it.
    T
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    EastEnders is better at the moment, it's true, but I also think that Corrie has improved over the last few weeks.

Personally, I don't see a problem with comparing the soaps. They share their genre in common and this IS a collective soap forum after all. Plus, it makes discussion more fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    EastEnders is better at the moment, it's true, but I also think that Corrie has improved over the last fe w weeks.

Personally, I don't see a problem with comparing the soaps. They share their genre in common and this IS a collective soap forum after all. Plus, it makes discussion more fun.

Comparison is one thing but the soap wars on here get wearying. I watch most of them so I find it tough to see such tribalism at times lol!
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Boogie has been misunderstood here. He has written many astute, analytical and interesting posts about Corrie. I agree with his post as a viewer of both soaps but you probably should have kept this thread to the state Corrie is in. I don't think there was any malice intended.

I have Lol'ed at some of the excuses being wheeled out by the same people who lambasted EE and its fans last year for defending the show with lame excuses. How the tide has turned.

My main problem with Corrie is that there's no stories to hold my attention. I have no enthusiasm to watch the show. During Collinson's era there was always something to keep you tuned in. Now its just repetitive scenes, love triangles and block storytelling with certain characters going missing for weeks while a select few hog the limelight.

The Peter/Tina story- awful contrived, sensationalist nonsense.
    Phelan- Why doesn't Gary face the consequences of his actions instead of making his family suffer?? Contrived and farfetched.
    Kylie and David have been trying to bonk for 2 weeks like a bad sitcom.
    Sophie and Maddeh....where do I start?
    Revisiting the stupid bingo story.

It's easy to see why viewers have stopped watching. It's insulting to our intelligence. Looks like its going to tread water until Tina's 'spectacular' exit.
  • Options
    Mr PatrickMr Patrick Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well Actually DTC Has a more tricky spot then SB Because DTC has to save Eastenders from been axed while SB doesn't
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're full of excuses for when corrie is poor yet you love having your digs at eastenders fans. Hilarious. I watch both corrie and eastenders and all soaps go through bad patches but I wish people like you didn't feel the need to be so bloody petty

May have slipped your notice, but I didn't create this thread nor have I created any thread comparing both EE and Corrie, but you can blame me if it makes you feel better. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    May have slipped your notice, but I didn't create this thread nor have I created any thread comparing both EE and Corrie, but you can blame me if it makes you feel better. ;-)

Loooool!
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    I think Boogie has been misunderstood here. He has written many astute, analytical and interesting posts about Corrie. I agree with his post as a viewer of both soaps but you probably should have kept this thread to the state Corrie is in. I don't think there was any malice intended.

I have Lol'ed at some of the excuses being wheeled out by the same people who lambasted EE and its fans last year for defending the show with lame excuses. How the tide has turned.

My main problem with Corrie is that there's no stories to hold my attention. I have no enthusiasm to watch the show. During Collinson's era there was always something to keep you tuned in. Now its just repetitive scenes, love triangles and block storytelling with certain characters going missing for weeks while a select few hog the limelight.

The Peter/Tina story- awful contrived, sensationalist nonsense.
    Phelan- Why doesn't Gary face the consequences of his actions instead of making his family suffer?? Contrived and farfetched.
    Kylie and David have been trying to bonk for 2 weeks like a bad sitcom.
    Sophie and Maddeh....where do I start?
    Revisiting the stupid bingo story.

It's easy to see why viewers have stopped watching. It's insulting to our intelligence. Looks like its going to tread water until Tina's 'spectacular' exit.

Thank you! I am simply making the point that EastEnders is doing a lot better than Corrie of late in terms of its quality. It's fair to say that it seems to be the general consensus with many right now. Last night's eps plumbed new depths in ruining Tina's character even more than they have of late as she came across as a highly selfish bint with absolutely new remorse for her actions.

I want to reiterate that I've always preferred Corrie to all the rest but since Blackburn took over, it's been a totally different show. Think of all the rubbish we've had to endure since he took the reins: Play the White Man; the Chesney/ Katy/ Ryan triangle; Peter and Tina; Tina pining for baby Jake and effectively forgetting all about him; Tina and Tracy's childish feud; awful exits- Paul, Mandy, Brian, Gloria plus Stella's one tomorrow looks pretty non-eventful; Dennis falling for Gloria; Michelle bullying Steve etc.:(
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    EE hasn't been that impressive. It's only slightly less worse than it was under Newman.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Patrick wrote: »
    Well Actually DTC Has a more tricky spot then SB Because DTC has to save Eastenders from been axed while SB doesn't

:confused: Uh, what?

There is no danger of the BBC axing their flagship programme.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie's just fine.

The Phelan story has been very good. Gail's upcoming storyline with Les Dennis sounds like it will be absolutely hilarious. Tina's murder will be great. Plus, there have been some really good, topical story lines of late, such as cyber-bullying, and it's effects.

Also, you will have to wait until Febuary next year to find the identity of Lucy's killer. We'll know Tina's killer within the year. I think that EE are going to drag out the story too long, whereas Corrie won't.
  • Options
    Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    :confused: Uh, what?

There is no danger of the BBC axing their flagship programme.

He had to bring it back from this http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-facing-ratings-crisis-angry-1771100