Disturbing books you've read.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another by James Herbert - Others.

It is by far his least frightening book - to me anyway. But the plot and subject matter are by far the most disturbing I've ever read in any of his books.

That's an excellent book, also 'Nobody True' - well worth a read. Again, not frightening but a excellent book!
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Ooh good thread. I'm reading the Exquisite Corpse just now.

I've just ordered several books on the back of this thread. :D
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Blindness by Jose Saramago, great book, but there's a terribly graphic scene in it. I shudder whenever I think of it.

Also A Woman in Berlin, so many terrible instances.

The Kite Runner, I read it before it was famous, and had NO idea what was to happen. :cry:
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe we're this far in with no-one mentioning Irvine Welsh's "Marabou Stork Nightmares". Pretty grim all the way through but the ending left me shaking and in tears of shock. Perhaps it was just because I was a teenager when I read it but I've never felt I've wanted to go back as an adult to test the theory
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Bumping up this thread purely because it's a belter! I've got it bookmarked and dip in to dowload when I need a good horror. I love being creeped out, whether it's a psychological mindf*ck or a full on gorefest. :D
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although most of it went over my head at the time, back in the 90s, I've since re-read the Twin Peaks tie-in 'The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer'. I have to say I was quite taken aback - and not in a positive way - as an adult at the vividly descriptive authorship of the under-age sex, drugs and orgy shenanigans Laura embroils herself in; to the point of becoming more uncomfortable with the concept of the book itself than the actual content.