Options

Cat urinating around house

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
Forum Member
Hi all,

Really after some advice.

I have a female cat aged 9. She is practically an indoor cat. She has a litter box and she has always been very good at going in. However, on Tuesday she done a poo on our carpet and today we found wee smack bang in the middle of our bed!

I am going to take her to the vets tomorrow to rule out medical problems.

But if she does not have a medical problem, what do I do?

I am really worried as I am 7 months pregnant and I really really do not want to have these types of issues when the baby is born. In fact it is worrying me sick.

I cannot trust her and today we had a new sofa arrive. Normally I let her roam the house and go in any room she likes but I am so worried about her pooing or weeing on our new sofa, I have just put her in our spare room (with her litter tray).

We havent changed the litter or litter box lately, so I dont think it's that. The only change we have had is no access to our living room for the past 2 nights as we have had our carpets professionally cleaned and so we had to close off the lounge in order for the carpets to dry. I am not sure if it is a protest thing. However, I cannot afford to risk it, as I do not want her peeing on our sofa.

I am worried but annoyed as well. If I can't stop her doing it, what do I do??? :(

Comments

• Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you might be interested in this article about cat poo..

http://www.our-happy-cat.com/cat-poo.html

Dealing With Cat Poo Issues

Cat Care For the Upset Cat
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Your pregnancy might be making her anxious. Try a feliway plug
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. I thought by getting her neutured would help things.
    The cat is female and is 3 yrs of age, Tried putting her outside but she clings onto me and just shakes.
    I have tried to put her out when I am out there but she runs for the door.

I have thrown rug after rugs away and she keeps on. Her latest is the bath mat.

The vet mentioned if the tray is changed daily she won't associate that with being her her toilet. He sugested just removing the solids and chage the tray every 2 days. Just makes her worse.
    :mad:
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Middening (marking territory with poo) is sign that a cat is feeling anxious that her territory is under threat of some kind.

IMHO you wont help that by pressing her to go out. Better to distract her with toys, spend time with her, spoil her. And Felliway should help.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had that with Gizmo a few months back ( peeing on my duvet) , I took her to the vets just to be on the safe side all was ok . It turned out that there was a new cat in the neighbourhood that kept sitting on my bedroom window , she became upset and was basically letting me know and marking her territory.

I bought some Feliway and also bought a couple of cheap plastic dustsheets from Homebase to cover the bed with when I was out . She soon got back to normal when she realised the other cat was no threat, I also made extra time for cuddles and play.
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    Middening (marking territory with poo) is sign that a cat is feeling anxious that her territory is under threat of some kind.

IMHO you wont help that by pressing her to go out. Better to distract her with toys, spend time with her, spoil her. And Felliway should help.

Feliway it is then :D

Will order it later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Have tried Feliway before, but doesnt seem to do anything?

I can almost cope with poo (not that I want cat poo everywhere!) but it is the wee which is worst. Blimmin nightmare.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really worried as I am 7 months pregnant and I really really do not want to have these types of issues when the baby is born. In fact it is worrying me sick.
    I think this may be key to the problem - that and / or there's a new cat or dog in the area that is making her feel tense and defensive... hence the marking. It's surprising how much cats (and dogs and rabbits) will pick up on tension.

The only time I had problems with one of mine peeing in bedroom and on duvet was when one of our dogs had had pups and the pups were milling around in the hall and kitchen below. The cat indicated her worry and displeasure most clearly - in the middle of the duvet.

We arranged a way out of the house whereby she didn't have to come near the pups and that solved the problem.

There're maybe changes you're making to the house in preparation for the new arrival and she's just feeling insecure. Can you give her somewhere dark and cavelike - a covered box or perhaps an open drawer in a chest of drawers or something where she'll feel safe. And then if you can relax around her... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    first step - take her to the vets to check for a UTI - they are really serious in cats so check her out asap.
    secondly - if you have the all clear from the vet then its a safe bet that its due to stress - and by the sounds of it she's had a lot lately - your pregnant which will change your attitude towards her, your smell etc, you've had the carpets cleaned and thats not only invited new people in, but changed the smell and now shes not allowed in. finally i'm willing to bet you've redone a nursery, had new furniture arrive for bubs etc - all highly stressful to a cat.

To minimise stress the feliway is a great idea, make her an area that is hers, and is left undisturbed - lots of cats like covered over baskets - make sure her litter tray is near (but not too close) to the area - about a meter away, and then leave well alone. Try not to make a big deal out of it, and I'd suggest banning her from the front room is the worst idea too - cover the sofa up for a while, but shes going to continue to be stressed for as long as there is a new item in her house that doesn't smell like her - the sooner she can adapt to it the better, by shutting her out your just prolonging the stress - not good for either of you.

edit: just realised normandie has given similar advice - sorry didn't read your reply, wasn't ignoring you!!
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    Any update cloudy? I hope you stopped shutting her in the spare room, that would be upsetting for her.