Joey Branning- Domestic Abuse S/L

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
Forum Member
✭✭
I know this is a sensitive topic, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone but do you think EE could go down this route with Joey and Lauren's relationship?

Though its not the biggest scandal- the square not reacting to two cousins being in a relationship, I would've thought they'd be some firm opinions from certain family members etc on them being together.
So if they decide to bring this up again (can't see it happening now) fair enough, but if not I think this has potential.

We've seen EE drop subtle hints on Joey being like Derek, even after his death. Micheal telling him the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, him wolfing down them herrings yesterday etc.

I dont think it should be consistent, but i think it could tie in well with Laurens drinking storyline, he gets angry, throws the bottle of wine at the wall with her being stood an inch away (Brendan did this in HO a few episodes ago)

Do you think he's got it in him to hit Lauren like he claims Derek did to his mother? Not repeatedly beat her but once/twice to make him realise he's like his father. I think it could be quite interesting, and if him and Alice do leave this year, It could be an exit, the two realising they cant move forward with their lives in the square.

Thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump..
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is a sensitive topic, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone but do you think EE could go down this route with Joey and Lauren's relationship?

Though its not the biggest scandal- the square not reacting to two cousins being in a relationship, I would've thought they'd be some firm opinions from certain family members etc on them being together.
    So if they decide to bring this up again (can't see it happening now) fair enough, but if not I think this has potential.

We've seen EE drop subtle hints on Joey being like Derek, even after his death. Micheal telling him the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, him wolfing down them herrings yesterday etc.

I dont think it should be consistent, but i think it could tie in well with Laurens drinking storyline, he gets angry, throws the bottle of wine at the wall with her being stood an inch away (Brendan did this in HO a few episodes ago)

Do you think he's got it in him to hit Lauren like he claims Derek did to his mother? Not repeatedly beat her but once/twice to make him realise he's like his father. I think it could be quite interesting, and if him and Alice do leave this year, It could be an exit, the two realising they cant move forward with their lives in the square.

Thoughts?

It wouldnt be a good idea as IMO he isnt the actor to be able to carry a storyline as important as the one u suggest

It would be compared to the brilliance that was trevor and little mo
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Lauren needs a storyline to develop her character and Jacqueline Jossa can be great when she wants to be but David Witts is an awful actor and wouldn't do the storyline justice.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Im honestly starting to think you may be right. Judging from some of his comments about women, we know he thinks their place is by their husband's side, and he's very dismissive of women in general, judging by how he treats Alice, and we know how he treats women not in his family, judging by how he treated Lucy. My guess is that he'll start off being controlling and end up smacking Lauren.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    Im honestly starting to think you may be right. Judging from some of his comments about women, we know he thinks their place is by their husband's side, and he's very dismissive of women in general, judging by how he treats Alice, and we know how he treats women not in his family, judging by how he treated Lucy. My guess is that he'll start off being controlling and end up smacking Lauren.

I can see this, TBH. The underlying theme here may be that he really is more like Derek than he thought he was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren wouldnt stand for any of it for a single moment.

She would cut off his danglies if he tried any funny business !
    especially after a few Shandies
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise and Owen did this a 1000000000x better. Plus I don't think David has enough range as an actor to pull off those kinds of scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not with these two you need to have good believable actors and characters like Trevor and Little Mo to make it effective and Jacqueline Jossa and David Witts just wouldnt be able to cut it!
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I can see this, TBH. The underlying theme here may be that he really is more like Derek than he thought he was.

That is EXACTLY what I said to StarLight in a PM! :eek: almost tje same wording and everything!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    That is EXACTLY what I said to StarLight in a PM! :eek: almost tje same wording and everything!

Lol :eek:

Great minds :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, because its not just been one instance, we've had a few hints. Even Lauren said to him when he returned on 3rd jan "turns out your more like him then you thought"

I know Lauren feisty and wouldnt stand for it but maybe this is where we see her vulnerable side. She's in love with him, and doesn't know who to tell.

Some of you think David Witts doesn't have the talent to pull it off, but I'm not suggesting an ongoing storyline but just a stint within her drinking storyline...
    I could see EE giving him the material. Jac Jossa could possibly shine, she deserves it IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

Thoughts?

I think it would be predictable & Joey loves Lauren too much to ever hurt her again- emotionally or physically
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, because its not just been one instance, we've had a few hints. Even Lauren said to him when he returned on 3rd jan "turns out your more like him then you thought"

I know is feisty and wouldnt stand for it but maybe this is where we see her vulnerable side. She's in love with him, and doesn't know who to tell.

I know some of you think David Witts doesn't have the talent to pull it off, but I'm not suggesting an ongoing storyline but just a stint within her drinking storyline...

True. Even the most feisty characters can become victims of domestic abuse given the right circumstances; the Yusef storyline demonstrated this. Lauren's already quite vulnerable, Joey could eaisly take advantage of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since LN has pointed out her storyline is going to reach its peak, I would imagine it is something credible to wrap it up. We could see this part of Joey slip in/Or on the other hand he could be supportive.

I think it depends on whether David is sticking around for another year. If so, I don't think they'd go into that realm, it wouldn't be investing anything into their relationship. but if he does decide to quit, I can see this happening.
    Forum Member
    Lol :eek:

Great minds :D

Damn right! :D

@ StarLight re: fiesty Lauren: she is being isolated from her friends at the minute too. Think about it: Whitney will be busy planning her wedding (still holding out for Big Fat Gypsy one) and moving in with Tyler; she cant talk to Lucy about Joey; Alice didnt believe Derek could be like that, she'd never believe it about Joey; and Abi is preoccupied by her exams & Jay, and maybe even Lola/Lexi depending on the timings. And its not like Tanya or Max have the heads to even notice something is wrong with their kids. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if its Kirsty who helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. David is an alright actor but with storylines are like these, you need great actors to carry it + you have to care about the characters. Can't stand Lauren and Joey annoys me with the way he speaks
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Witts is not so bad if you hear him in real life he is so different that must say a lot.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a great idea if 1) Joey was played by a better actor and 2) it was more of a sub-plot in Lauren's drinking storyline rather than a storyline in itself.

It'd be interesting and believable if it did happen just the once (or twice) but it'd probably have to be when Joey finally leaves.

I really hope Lauren gets a really good storyline soon or the alcoholism one is continued throughout time.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember thinking they were going down this route with him and Lucy when he started to get quite controlling over not having Ian in the house and had bursts of anger with her.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer Joey to start abusing a plank of wood, rather than Lauren. That way, he won't have to worry about having a superior actor alongside him :). Mind you, I think the plank of wood could out-act Joey :o.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I'd prefer Joey to start abusing a plank of wood, rather than Lauren. That way, he won't have to worry about having a superior actor alongside him :). Mind you, I think the plank of wood could out-act Joey :o.

We could have Joey and the plank of wood in a two-hander and I'm sure the plank would carry the entire episode :D
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could have Joey and the plank of wood in a two-hander and I'm sure the plank would carry the entire episode :D

Haha :D.

It will be up there with the Phil and Sharon two-hander :cool:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    It would be a great idea if 1) Joey was played by a better actor and 2) it was more of a sub-plot in Lauren's drinking storyline rather than a storyline in itself.

It'd be interesting and believable if it did happen just the once (or twice) but it'd probably have to be when Joey finally leaves.

I really hope Lauren gets a really good storyline soon or the alcoholism one is continued throughout time.

Agree with all the points you've made. But I hope LN meant what she said about the SL reaching its peak and then wrapping it up, because she needs some character development.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with all the points you've made. But I hope LN meant what she said about the SL reaching its peak and then wrapping it up, because she needs some character development.

Yeah I see what you mean but I think it'd be far more believable if the alcoholism storyline was recurring. After all, it's not something that you just nip in the bud. Plus it gives Lauren a mature storyline and therefore separates her from the rest of her friends.

By the way, I'm not saying this should become a sensational storyline - simply just a storyline that is always there but becomes more apparent when there is reason (a family death, a break-up).