Why is quarry swimming so dangerous

2»

Comments

• MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Aren't they full of corpses of murdered people who lie in wait to grab the ankle of swimmers and drag them down into their stygian depths.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the biggest problems is that quarries are filled with fresh water which is much harder to swim in than salt water
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems is that quarries are filled with fresh water which is much harder to swim in than salt water

That's a fair point and no lifeguards sitting on a high chair looking bored like at the swimming pools either
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    They are deep - with little drop off. If you get tired or panicky or swallow water - there is nowhere to go and a long way to sink.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I had my childhood but in the late 60s, early 70s and we did all the things that are now considered dangerous. That was called having a childhood. Not sitting at home running your life on facebook and inviting the lads around for a game playing session.

This is why today's generation are clueless with practical things like levers, ropes, weights and everything else. All those things we learnt out in the real world by actually building things like camps and rope swings in dangerous places.

I grew up in the late 70s and remember being warned over and over not to go play at the nearby disused brick pits, some of which had been flooded, I remember lectures at school about how you couldnt see what was in the bottom, quite likely the bottom was very very deep, risk of drowning etc.

they did eventually drain one the pits and the crap in the bottom of it put me off wanting to swim in it ever.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »

Why exactly is that though? Something to do with the weight? Is fresh water heavier? :confused:
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I had my childhood but in the late 60s, early 70s and we did all the things that are now considered dangerous. That was called having a childhood. Not sitting at home running your life on facebook and inviting the lads around for a game playing session.

This is why today's generation are clueless with practical things like levers, ropes, weights and everything else. All those things we learnt out in the real world by actually building things like camps and rope swings in dangerous places.
    Yeah, plus the voice of Donald Pleasence to catch the show offs and the unwary......I do think the children of the 1970's should be awarded a medal for survival without the aid of a hi-vis....:D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    i'm really saddened to hear another teenager has lost his life due to swimming in a quarry. I'm just confused as to what kinds of difficulties these teens get into, is it the cold, is it underwater hazards??

It just seems so tragic that a seemingly innocent activity is so dangerous and these deaths seem particularly sad.

It happens every summer and it's a tragedy for all those poor families who lose their children this way. These quarries are often very deep and may, as already stated, have hidden obstacles and projections and so anyone swimming or diving could get into a lot of trouble.

I'd like to see greater education about this danger within schools and the opening up of more school and other swimming pools during the summer to help prevent these tragedies.
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Telling kids not to do something is probably not the best idea as we all know the outcome.