Options

Monkeys banned from eating bananas

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-25728179

This is just stupid . I'm not against zoos at all, but this meddling has to stop .

Monkeys have been eating bananas since the dawn of time , but the do-gooding conservationists say bananas are too sugary :eek:

When I go to the zoo I want to see a monkey eat a banana , not a muesli bar or a rivita >:(:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

This is just stupid . I'm not against zoos at all, but this meddling has to stop .

Monkeys have been eating bananas since the dawn of time , but the do-gooding conservationists say bananas are too sugary :eek:

When I go to the zoo I want to see a monkey eat a banana , not a muesli bar or a rivita >:(:D

It's bullsh!t, that. Next thing "Dr" Gillian McKeith will be insisting they eat aduki bean stew and the Daily Mail will be insistent they eat quinoa, edamame beans and superfood salad.

Get 'em a bleedin' KFC, that'll keep 'em happy. And a banana split.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

True but according to the link the ones they are getting have been cultivated for human consumption and are too sugary.

IMO they should go back to tea and cakes like in the PG tips ads.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its odd but in fairness, I know 4 diabetics and they've all been advised to steer clear of bananas for that same reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought a banana was a banana . The only way it's not a banana if it's been genetically engineered or modified.

Sort of like a Frankenbanana
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they love onions
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Plowman, head of conservation, said that is because they are too ripe for monkeys and can cause gastrointestinal problems.

Would it not just make sense to give them less ripe bananas then...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought a banana was a banana . The only way it's not a banana if it's been genetically engineered or modified.

Sounds like one of Ann Summers' Halloween-themed products. :)
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO they should go back to tea and cakes like in the PG tips ads.
    Lol

Give 'em a piano to play (or shift) as well.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the monkeys slip on the banana skin to comedic effect and cause the viewing public a laughing injury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol

Give 'em a piano to play (or shift) as well.

Do you know "The piano is on my foot?"

You hum is son and i'll play it.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

We've been selectively cultivating crops for specific tastes/looks for years.

It doesn't take too long to get a cop comprised of almost entirely sweeter fruit/veg if you want that characteristic, and only plant the seeds from the ones that fit your requirements.

Also as has been mentioned if the monkeys in the wild tend to eat the banana's when they are less ripe, then there will likely be less sugar in those than ripe ones (Elephants in some parts of the world have learned that eating certain over ripe fruit off the ground will give them a buzz, as the fruit has started fermenting and converting the sugars to alcohol).
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep - all the bananas you see in the shops have been developed specifically with human consumption in mind.

Bearing that in mind, I'd tend to take the word of an expert regarding the dietary requirements of the animals in his or her care over the misguided opinions of 'someone on the internet' who wibbles on about 'do-gooding-conservationists' as if that's some kind of valid argument.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    It doesn't take too long to get a cop comprised of almost entirely sweeter fruit/veg

Like this > > > RESULT
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the monkeys don't like it, they can go back to their own country.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love monkeys :) They should give it to them as a treat, if it is too sugary and not good for them then I think it's a good thing.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fruit bred for human consumption, what a load of crap, fruit is fruit and fruit in the wild is exactly the same as fruit in supermarkets.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This world is pathetic, it's bad enough that they are trying to control what we eat, now they are doing the same to the animals.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only monkeys native to Indomalaya should be fed bananas.

Other species should be fed the food-types native to their original habitat.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Would it not just make sense to give them less ripe bananas then...

That would make far too much sense.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Fruit bred for human consumption, what a load of crap, fruit is fruit and fruit in the wild is exactly the same as fruit in supermarkets.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

Fruit (and almost any crop) that is farmed for human consumption has been chosen and grown with things like yield, colour, flavour and speed of growth in mind since the at least the Egyptians.

What we eat, as bought or grown specifically for humans is a long way from what it was originally as we've wanted the crops to be more reliable, and tastier for thousands of years*.

So a banana in the wild can be very different to what you, or I would be able to easily get from the green grocer.

*Things like tomatoes are often grown hydroponically now, from one of a handful of varieties that have been bred specifically to create a strain that can be grown rapidly in such a manner, with a fairly uniform colour/size/size.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

Fruit (and almost any crop) that is farmed for human consumption has been chosen and grown with things like yield, colour, flavour and speed of growth in mind since the at least the Egyptians.

What we eat, as bought or grown specifically for humans is a long way from what it was originally as we've wanted the crops to be more reliable, and tastier for thousands of years*.

So a banana in the wild can be very different to what you, or I would be able to easily get from the green grocer.

*Things like tomatoes are often grown hydroponically now, from one of a handful of varieties that have been bred specifically to create a strain that can be grown rapidly in such a manner, with a fairly uniform colour/size/size.

Come on Nilrem, get with the program. You can't argue with an Internet expert with nothing but facts and figures...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - all the bananas you see in the shops have been developed specifically with human consumption in mind.

Bearing that in mind, I'd tend to take the word of an expert regarding the dietary requirements of the animals in his or her care over the misguided opinions of 'someone on the internet' who wibbles on about 'do-gooding-conservationists' as if that's some kind of valid argument.

Is there any need to be so abrasive in your post :confused:

Maybe you would benefit from some happy pills.

Or a sugary banana :p
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Lol ok :D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

It actually isn't so the animal welfare experts have a point.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never seen a banana that looks like this in the supermarket.