What a great film Nebraska is

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw it on Monday, did a forum search and couldn't find any threads about it.

It really is a superb film. Probably the best film I've seen from the 2013 releases (though I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet and am actively avoiding The Wolf of Wall St). Great story, witty, thoughtful screenplay and excellent performances. Bruce Dern is spot on as the ageing drunk Woody; his walk, his mannerisms and his way of speaking are all exactly right for the role. June Squibb is equally fine as his unfeasibly potty-mouthed wife Kate.

So I'm not sure why it hasn't had more interest here. It's probably still around in repertory cinemas (and consequently cheaper now, though it's worth paying full price to see it) so if you like funny, intelligent drama give it a try.

Comments

• Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Saw it on Monday, did a forum search and couldn't find any threads about it.

It really is a superb film. Probably the best film I've seen from the 2013 releases (though I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet and am actively avoiding The Wolf of Wall St). Great story, witty, thoughtful screenplay and excellent performances. Bruce Dern is spot on as the ageing drunk Woody; his walk, his mannerisms and his way of speaking are all exactly right for the role. June Squibb is equally fine as his unfeasibly potty-mouthed wife Kate.

So I'm not sure why it hasn't had more interest here. It's probably still around in repertory cinemas (and consequently cheaper now, though it's worth paying full price to see it) so if you like funny, intelligent drama give it a try.

BIB - big mistake! It is an amazing film and the best one I have seen for a very, very long time. It's certainly better than '12 Years a Slave', 'Dallas Buyers Club' and 'American Hustle'. Although I have high hopes for 'Nebraska' and would like to see it.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    BIB - big mistake!

I'm sure I will see it, but the length is a major deterrent. Maybe I'll try to get to an early afternoon screening at the weekend.
  • MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - big mistake! It is an amazing film and the best one I have seen for a very, very long time. It's certainly better than '12 Years a Slave', 'Dallas Buyers Club' and 'American Hustle'. Although I have high hopes for 'Nebraska' and would like to see it.

You're wrong. Wolf of Wall Street does not deserve it's best picture nomination at all. I can think of about 5 films that should have been nominated over it and this is coming from someone who was excited over it's release. Biggest example of style over substance. There are some promising moments in their but not enough. The whole thing could have been so much better, such a missed opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MediaMan5 wrote: »
    You're wrong. Wolf of Wall Street does not deserve it's best picture nomination at all. I can think of about 5 films that should have been nominated over it and this is coming from someone who was excited over it's release. Biggest example of style over substance. There are some promising moments in their but not enough. The whole thing could have been so much better, such a missed opportunity.

I disagree completely. I Have seen it twice and it is a great film. The screen play and acting are as close to perfection as one can get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree completely. I Have seen it twice and it is a great film. The screen play and acting are as close to perfection as one can get.

I completely disagree. Story-wise it's weak, not awful but weak. I know it's based on a true story but that does not necessarily make a good story. The weak story is covered up with over the top, repetitive glamorisation of drugs and sex etc (I'm no prude btw believe me). I have no problem with glamorising these things in films but this just seemed like an ott smoke screen to make the film 'edgy' and controversial. And before anyone says it, I got it don't worry. Also, the acting is good I agree but nothing about this film is 'perfection' as you say. Leo is a good actor, I think he's really proved himself and broken out of the 'heartthrob' stereotype and do hope he one day gets his Oscar, just not this time, there is better in his category this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree. Story-wise it's weak, not awful but weak. I know it's based on a true story but that does not necessarily make a good story. The weak story is covered up with over the top, repetitive glamorisation of drugs and sex etc (I'm no prude btw believe me). I have no problem with glamorising these things in films but this just seemed like an ott smoke screen to make the film 'edgy' and controversial. And before anyone says it, I got it don't worry. Also, the acting is good I agree but nothing about this film is 'perfection' as you say. Leo is a good actor, I think he's really proved himself and broken out of the 'heartthrob' stereotype and do hope he one day gets his Oscar, just not this time, there is better in his category this year.

I know this thread is about 'Nebraska', so it's the last post I will make about 'The Wolf'... If you say you "got" the film, then I'm sure you got the fact that neither drugs nor sex were glamourised in this brilliant satire about the world of complete degenerates that are stockbrokers and investment bankers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this thread is about 'Nebraska', so it's the last post I will make about 'The Wolf'... If you say you "got" the film, then I'm sure you got the fact that neither drugs nor sex were glamourised in this brilliant satire about the world of complete degenerates that are stockbrokers and investment bankers.

They were. Ok they showed negative effects as well but drugs were completely glamourised throughout the film, that isn't my problem with the film but it's still true. For example, the the fact that the main scene that got the biggest laugh from the cinema crowd I was in was when Dicaprio was completely high on drugs. Ok he was unable to move and had to crawl to his car but when a scene revolves solely around a character completely high on hard drugs provides the biggest laugh throughout the film, then you are glamouring drug use as you are detracting from the seriousness of it. As well as cocaine literally being snorted off naked bodies! Also the whole theory it presented that to get rich you must lead this lifestyle, which it literally says at towards the start of the film. I could go on...Satire? Maybe. But either way I don't see how anyone can say this doesn't glamourise drug use - . Again, this was not my issue with the film, but it DID glamourise drugs. Also, your excuse of 'satire'? Ok to a degree this film tried and admittedly showed elements of satire but overall I think it failed in its overall attempt.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded the dvd screener last night. I will watch it eventually. I am familliar to June Squibb's past roles and always found her a good actress.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping someone would create a thread on this. I've got high hopes for this movie. Two films I've been waiting eagerly to see are Nebraska and Philomena so I'm gonna watch Nebraska tonight. I've heard great reviews from it

P.s. If anybody knows of Philomena popping up online, hit me up :D;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I was hoping someone would create a thread on this. I've got high hopes for this movie. Two films I've been waiting eagerly to see are Nebraska and Philomena so I'm gonna watch Nebraska tonight. I've heard great reviews from it

P.s. If anybody knows of Philomena popping up online, hit me up :D;-)

Watched Philomena online today! Really liked it actually and so glad it got nominated, thoroughly deserved! Just got Nebraska left to watch before I've completed my Oscar viewing.

Also... (this isn't directed at you Toy_Hero) hate to sound smug but no reply to my last post on the Wall Street debate? I'm just going to go ahead and claim that as a win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now wondering why people didn't go to see Nebraska in the cinema when it was released. Was there something that put you off? Or do you only watch films online?

If I'd known how good it was I would have gone to see it a lot sooner. Also, I can't believe the cinematography will look as good on a home set-up, unless you're rich enough to own an actual cinema.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I'm now wondering why people didn't go to see Nebraska in the cinema when it was released. Was there something that put you off? Or do you only watch films online?

If I'd known how good it was I would have gone to see it a lot sooner. Also, I can't believe the cinematography will look as good on a home set-up, unless you're rich enough to own an actual cinema.

Nebraska passed me by in the cinema and I wasn't desperate to see it at the time. I do watch most things in the cinema btw so get off your high horse please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebraska passed me by in the cinema and I wasn't desperate to see it at the time. I do watch most things in the cinema btw so get off your high horse please.

What high horse? You quoted my question in your reply: I asked why people didn't go to see Nebraska when it was on release. Maybe it looked boring, maybe it didn't some across as funny, maybe you don't like Bruce Dern as an actor or Alexamder Payne as a director. I was interested to find out.

My comment about watching stuff online is just a statement of fact: films that look good at the cinema don't always look good on a smaller screen. If you do watch most films at the cinema you'll know this.

So no horse, high or otherwise.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it this morning and I found it a let down. The dialogue for me wasn't interesting and I wasn't fond of Bruce Dern's performance. He was a character that viewers are meant to be liking and cheering for so he can get this million dollars, but i wasn't. I couldn't of cared less. June Squibb was incredible though.
  • JFDonaghyJFDonaghy Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got the screener but i haven't got around to watching it yet.
    need to be in a certain mood for this directors films..like a lazy sunday or something.