Jon Gaunt: "shock jock who toppled a minister"

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Warning: reading the Daily Mail may damage your healthy outlook, but...

there's a great story on the paper's web site about how Jon Gaunt was responsible for the Police Federation's media campaign against the government - and how it all went horribly wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594741/Shock-Jock-toppled-minister-But-DJ-turned-PR-mans-disastrous-strategy-police-Plebgate-wreaked-terrible-damage-union.html

Comments

• radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Who?
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays story, which was about Fiona McElroy from the Police Federation giving evidence to MP's was way down on the website but I had already noticed that it was front pages news on the Daily Mail print edition with photo of Gaunt and his non-statement on the contract he had with them, £10,000 a month. This is a later re-write. I did take time to read it before buying my copy of the Times.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594701/Secretive-police-union-told-open-books-public-house-order-face-new-laws-force-reform.html

I also read about an interview with Nigel Farage yesterday who is after Jon Gaunt's former role

"Speaking about his own future to GQ magazine, he said: “I have always had a real yearning for radio. Potentially I would be very interested in being a shock jock.”
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was mentioned when the three involved in the Andrew Mitchell business were questioned by a House of Commons committee, he obviously had a very reputation from the way he was mentioned. I think he also was questioned later but I did not see that.
    poor
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    He was mentioned when the three involved in the Andrew Mitchell business were questioned by a House of Commons committee, he obviously had a very reputation from the way he was mentioned. I think he also was questioned later but I did not see that.
    poor

I think they had to make contact with him through Twitter as he had gone to ground but did not invite him to give evidence before the Committee. I know some on here were wanting to see his appearance on Parliament TV :)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaunty.

What a knob!
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Gaunty.

What a knob!

...and used to be employed among other radio stations at BBC Radio WM....

...what were they thinking of ?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long did he last at Talksport?

(before he moved to the massively successful Sun Radio....erm.....)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What a berk!
    Forum Member
    The monster who roars for coppers, or rather those that don't read The Guardian or Independent, according to the Met Police Federation.
    http://www.metfed.org.uk/metline?id=89
  • RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Gaunty was popular up in Cov, winning several awards, but he was abysmal on national radio. Rumours that he wasn't a desperately nice chap as well.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Does he still call people "Nazi" when he starts to lose the argument?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet, thank goodness, even his website, with 'A big project is coming in the next 2 months' seems to have shut down, I wonder if he earning any money!. But what goes around, comes around. Nasty man.
  • thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaunty was popular up in Cov, winning several awards, but he was abysmal on national radio. Rumours that he wasn't a desperately nice chap as well.

Not sure he was popular in Coventry with those affected by the TicToc affair.
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    He seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet, thank goodness, even his website, with 'A big project is coming in the next 2 months' seems to have shut down, I wonder if he earning any money!. But what goes around, comes around. Nasty man.

He's tweeting recently:

March 3: This is an interesting development and worth a listen. subscription radio the way forward for free speech? @fubarradio.com

March 25: The website will be relaunched soon

April 11: London all day yesterday. London again today. Some exciting developments happening and big announcement very soon. Watch this space!!!

April 11
    Just about to go on @FubarRadio to talk to @mrmarkdolan tune in if you can

Maybe he's going on there, Radio Today report on their launch
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/02/fubar-radio-launches-subscription-station/

Website
    http://fubarradio.com/
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    He's tweeting recently:

March 3: This is an interesting development and worth a listen. subscription radio the way forward for free speech? @fubarradio.com

April 11: London all day yesterday. London again today. Some exciting developments happening and big announcement very soon. Watch this space!!!

April 11

Website

Is that you Jon?
  • thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's tweeting recently:

April 11

Website

Another Gaunt comeback into the big time. Seem to have heard all that before. And people are actually going to pay to hear his bs this time?
    Forum Member
    thewilson wrote: »
    Another Gaunt comeback into the big time. Seem to have heard all that before. And people are actually going to pay to hear his bs this time?

SunTalk didn't work, station seems to be more comedy focused at the moment.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez....so much self-validation and all in the one thread ?

I know DS has more than its fair share of cotton socked, ism-aware, pro tolerance and anti bigotry darlings, so I always have a good old chuckle that that these are exactly the types who tend to be the most bigoted and least tolerant of those whose opinion and outlook is at odds with their own. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's tweeting recently:

April 11

Website

Well no sign of him on the Fubar website.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Can't stand this fella or his radio show. 500 years ago he'd be helping people sharpen their pitchforks before sending them out against whoever. Shock jock indeed. Self-inflated manipulative emotive mouthpiece would be a better description.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand this fella or his radio show. 500 years ago he'd be helping people sharpen their pitchforks before sending them out against whoever. Shock jock indeed. Self-inflated manipulative emotive mouthpiece would be a better description.

He was always bragging about his Mercedes and mansion in the country when he was on Talksport, bet his not now. Nasty man... Thank goodness even The Sun saw him for what he really is... And the Ukip, I am going to be euro MP, fast-tracked, seem more rubbish.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Whatever you think of him personally or his views, not sure I agree with them but it's irrelivant, it's clear that he was a fine talk presenter.

He's not had a radio show on a decent station in how many years? Yet he is still talked about a lot. I never listened to Talksport as I hate sport but I know who he is but could not name anyone else on the lineup. Then or now.

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and Gaunt was clearly able to get people talking and get them angry enough to phone in. That is a skill that good phone in presenters need. The much loved Scottie Mcluie was the same a long time ago and James O brien is the same.

Whenever you hear either Gaunt or Job as a contributor on another show you can see why they are good phone in hosts. They cab make a good argument and make it in a way that is entertaining and will wind people up. If it gets people talking who aren't even listeners then you've done a good job and Gaunt is one of these people.

Perhaps he's not been picked up by a decent station because his act has had it's day or perhaps he is a bit of a tosser. I've never met him so I don't know but all of the evidence, bitterness and hatred on here tells me that he was good at his job.

I take issue with him being called a shock jock though because he isn't. We don't have any shock jocks in this country and Ofcom would never allow such a presenter. We have people who are a bit edgy but not shocking.

He's also not a jock as he's not a disk jockey or Scottish.
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Whatever you think of him personally or his views, not sure I agree with them but it's irrelivant, it's clear that he was a fine talk presenter.

No it isn't that's just your opinion
    He's not had a radio show on a decent station in how many years? Yet he is still talked about a lot. I never listened to Talksport as I hate sport but I know who he is but could not name anyone else on the lineup. Then or now.

He didn't have a sports programme on Talksport, he did other work besides that, had a column in the Sun and appeared on BBC television at times. As to "talked about a lot", the only reason the current threads have been started is because he's been in the newspapers because of the Plebgate scandal. As you don't like sport it's not surprising you can't name any of the other presenters.
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and Gaunt was clearly able to get people talking and get them angry enough to phone in.

You don't have to get people angry to get them to phone in, when he was on 3 Counties it was often the same people day after day or he ran competitions for small prizes to get reaction. Other than that he filled in time talking about himself and his family.
    Perhaps he's not been picked up by a decent station because his act has had it's day or perhaps he is a bit of a tosser. I've never met him so I don't know but all of the evidence, bitterness and hatred on here tells me that he was good at his job.

All, a tiny number of people on a forum hardly anyone reads?

I take issue with him being called a shock jock though because he isn't. We don't have any shock jocks in this country and Ofcom would never allow such a presenter. We have people who are a bit edgy but not shocking.

You'd better take that up with him then as he called his own autobiography which he wrote Undaunted- the true story behind the popular shock jock.

I agree with his own description of his radio style. Put Jon Gaunt shock jock into Google and there's lots of links, he's never complained, he thrives on it.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    *Put Jon Gaunt shock jock into Google and there's lots of links, he's never complained, he thrives on it.

Of course he's never complained why would he?. John Gaunt's main purpose in life is probably to promote John Gaunt and the fact he is trying to shift copies of his book makes that even more likely.

The man is a showman who wants people talking about him. That is his act and he's quite good at it.

I don't need to take anything up with him as I sm entitled to my opinion that compared to other countries we do not have any true shock jocks. I'm sure Gaunt would agree that he would have taken his act a lot further if Ofcom had allowed it.

I do remember watching him on Question Time once and thinking that he tried his usual act there and it didn't really work.
    Forum Member
    I don't need to take anything up with him as I sm entitled to my opinion that compared to other countries we do not have any true shock jocks. I'm sure Gaunt would agree that he would have taken his act a lot further if Ofcom had allowed it.

I do remember watching him on Question Time once and thinking that he tried his usual act there and it didn't really work.

I'm not comparing to other countries, he's working in the UK

"Shock jock n (Broadcasting) a radio disc jockey who is deliberately controversial or provocative. Collins English dictionary."

He went on Sun Talk because it wasn't subject to Ofcom regulations so he could say what he liked, subject to national law not a broadcasting code, proclaiming to the Guardian

"Despite whether people like me or not, I am the greatest radio show host in Britain and that is why I can get people to react. Whether you like what I do is irrelevant. No one else can get people to react like I can, which is why I'm also a good columnist. The Sun have seen that and gone, right, let's marry all those things together.

I'm a believer in talk radio and I believe that talk radio in this country will be massive just like it is everywhere else. I just believe that the fat ex-furniture salesmen and ex-second hand car salesman that were lucky enough to end up in commercial radio and run it haven't got a clue.

They don't know how to do it, they have failed miserably. I'm going to show them how it's going to be done. I'm here for the long term, it isn't like some people who get a job on internet radio to get back into the mainstream. Why would I want to go back into mainstream radio? I don't want to work for the BBC. They wouldn't have me anyway, and I don't want to work in the commercial sector. Commercial radio is dying. I don't want to work there."

Despite all this SunTalk closed after 14 months and the Sun dropped his column.