Options

Come On Down! The Game Show Story ITV 7PM

Comments

• Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    Yes I thought that, not even a quick mention, and they were the first quiz/game shows as far as I recall. Beat the Clock wasn't a proper game show, just a small part of Sunday Night at the London Palladium, which lasted all of 15 minutes!

What's My Line was presented by Eamonn Andrews and then David Nixon.

For a programme called The Game Show Story not to mention TYP and DYM, the two dominant game shows from the first dozen years of ITV, shows it is not taking its brief seriously.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should probably whisper it quietly but I think he would make an OK gameshow host himself.

Oh dear. :( Can they get minus viewing figures?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does OK hosting the big brother spin-off show
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr and Mrs was NEVER on at 'teatime'. Sack the researchers.

May have depended on what region you were in YTV did show it teatime during at least part of its run. In the early years it would be produced by Border and be presented by Derek Batey, then alternate with HTV producing and Alan Taylor presenting, they would handover to the other host at the end of each series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish a DVD of some sort, or challenge would show them again. The bits I watch on youtube still have me in stiches.

Ant and Dec's Poker Face was fairly decent off what I remember. Better than Red or Black or Saturday Takeaway.

Poker Face without Ant and Dec and done in a league format like 15 to 1 would make a decent early evening show.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    May have depended on what region you were in YTV did show it teatime during at least part of its run. In the early years it would be produced by Border and be presented by Derek Batey, then alternate with HTV producing and Alan Taylor presenting, they would handover to the other host at the end of each series.

Yes I remember it at tea times too. The different regions producing / different presenters was extremely unusual (unique even?). But poor old Alan Taylor, he is never mentioned, it's always Derek Batey.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I remember it at tea times too. The different regions producing / different presenters was extremely unusual (unique even?). But poor old Alan Taylor, he is never mentioned, it's always Derek Batey.

I think YTV showed it around 6.30pm/7pm didn't they?

I don't remember it at 5.10pm and then we had the news so I am sure was after 6.30.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I think YTV showed it around 6.30pm/7pm didn't they?

I don't remember it at 5.10pm and then we had the news so I am sure was after 6.30.

I think YTV was at 510/515 early on but cannot find any proof just my (possibly dodgy) memory. UKGameshows.com does state "Best remembered as an afternoon custard cream accompanier, or a regular in ITV's anything goes 5.15 slot, Mr & Mrs did briefly appear in Saturday primetimes in the late seventies, presumably the only Border programme ever to do so. It was here it pulled in its highest ever audience, eleven million, in August (obviously) 1977. By the eighties, though, it was firmly back on weekday afternoons, before the final few series got stripped across the morning schedules."

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Mr_and_Mrs retrieved 10/08/2014
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    They missed out all the oldies. Take Your Pick and Double your money were superb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    They missed out all the oldies. Take Your Pick and Double your money were superb.

It's not a one of there are other episodes they might be on then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The original Take Your Pick and Double Your Money were produced for Associated-Rediffusion, I doubt that much if any of those programmes exist, and if they did, there would probably be rights issues.
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing, I thought the Central Studios in Nottingham had been sold off, if this is the case how did Bradley go there?

If they are still open who uses them?

Believe they are now owned by the University of Nottingham. Not sure if they are used for any programmes though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The original Take Your Pick and Double Your Money were produced for Associated-Rediffusion, I doubt that much if any of those programmes exist, and if they did, there would probably be rights issues.

Double your money was basically WHo wants to be a millionaire...just doubled the money each time. Hughie Green and Monica Rose...she was really funny i remember.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find recordings of both exist although as you say there may be rights problems.The ITV Handbook for 1963 lists some other (now long forgotten) quiz shows:

Treasure Hunt from Westward
    Try for Ten from TWW
    Take a Letter from Granada
    Music Match from Anglia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I think you will find recordings of both exist although as you say there may be rights problems.The ITV Handbook for 1963 lists some other (now long forgotten) quiz shows:

Treasure Hunt from Westward
    Try for Ten from TWW
    Take a Letter from Granada
    Music Match from Anglia

didnt i hear they are bringing back name that tune with ant and dec. Not sure how that will work. I remember all the old songs but not good on the here one day gone the next stars of today
  • Options
    ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of all that time wasted by people up and down the country
    trying to work out the clues on 3-2-1 , :D:D
  • Options
    Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member

While the programme was enjoyable it could hardly be described as a 'documentary.' There are episodes/clips of some of the older games shows. Double Your MOney and Take Your Pick were the most popular games shows of the 1960s. Hughie then did The Sky's the Limit and I think Michael Miles did a Wheel of Fortune. There were other games shows in Britain in the 1950s and 1960s like Dotto . This programme was a celebration of well known games show rather than a proper history of them in Britain.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    One of the major problems with gameshows today. Celeb based.

Yet the tv makers seem to think that is what we want >:( I don't so don't watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    MediaLover wrote: »
    What was the set they were behind playing with dusty bin?

Emmerdale?
    They interviewed Lorraine Chase whilst there too by the look of it
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just looking at the TV Times for October 3, 1974, Border were showing their own Mr and Mrs at 8 pm, opting out of a film on the network. Grampian had ''Snap Question'', a local quiz, at 5.20 pm instead of a pop show on the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    Emmerdale?
    They interviewed Lorraine Chase whilst there too by the look of it

As the only programme recorded at itv Yorkshire is Emmerdale that would be the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the only programme recorded at itv Yorkshire is Emmerdale that would be the case.

Calendar is also produced in the studios now after moving from a special building they occupied since 1989.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calendar is also produced in the studios now after moving from a special building they occupied since 1989.

I knew that but as it is a live News magazine programme, I did not include it, but I agree it could be the Calendar set.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt i hear they are bringing back name that tune with ant and dec. Not sure how that will work..................

It might work a bit better if they called it "Name This Tune".
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Yet the tv makers seem to think that is what we want >:( I don't so don't watch.

Exactly.