Options

Helen fans coming out of the woodwork tonight

dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Funny....for 9 weeks, most threads on here have been anti-Helen. She was consistently low on popularity polls and high on unpopularity polls. Her behaviour towards other HMs was widely condemned and people were baying for her pass to be taken away.

Looking at the first few pages on DS tonight, you'd be forgiven for thinking she'd been a favourite all along. Suddenly, she's been misunderstood all along and is really a caring, warm-hearted underdog, who's been the victim of unfair editing.

Honestly, tonight has been the biggest turnaround I've ever seen towards a HM on DS. I don't understand where all these fans were throughout the series.

Comments

• Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Well I and several others have been voicing our support for a number of weeks now.

I'm certainly not crawling out of the woodwork.

I don't think you could have been looking properly TBH. The pro Helen support has been gathering strength for a while.

I do think we're all a bit selective as to what posts we click on - I have avoided Ashleigh mania threads wherever possible with one or two exceptions.
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I and several others have been voicing our support for a number of weeks now.

I'm certainly not crawling out of the woodwork.

I don't think you could have been looking properly TBH. The pro Helen support has been gathering strength for a while.

I do think we're all a bit selective as to what posts we click on - I have avoided Ashleigh mania threads wherever possible with one or two exceptions.

Not selective at all. There were a few Helen supporters dotted sporadically here and there, but up until the last week, there was most definitely more of an anti-Helen sentiment on the forum. The polls bear this out quite clearly.

The vast majority of threads were not pro-Helen, yet tonight there seems to be Helen fans everywhere.

I'm not saying she didn't have any fans, but it's disingenuous to suggest she's had a fraction of the goodwill over the last 10 weeks that she seems to be enjoying on here tonight.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny....for 9 weeks, most threads on here have been anti-Helen. She was consistently low on popularity polls and high on unpopularity polls. Her behaviour towards other HMs was widely condemned and people were baying for her pass to be taken away.

Looking at the first few pages on DS tonight, you'd be forgiven for thinking she'd been a favourite all along. Suddenly, she's been misunderstood all along and is really a caring, warm-hearted underdog, who's been the victim of unfair editing.

Honestly, tonight has been the biggest turnaround I've ever seen towards a HM on DS. I don't understand where all these fans were throughout the series.

The irony is that voters for Helen haven't needed to turn up until tonight.
    They didn't have to. All they had to do was vote tonight and that's all they had to do.
    They didn't even need to watch the show at all until tonight. Some of them could have booked their summer holidays while the series was on knowing that they could go and get a suntan and then come back to watch the show for just this week.
  • Options
    HenrikHenrik Posts: 2,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them would be ashamed to admit it.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't agree

I don't see much triumphalism on the forum ... even now the level of 'gloating' that might have been expected in the circumstances is not happening

If there are members here who helped bring about Helen's victory then they are not rubbing anyone's noses in it ... fair play to them
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it there is as many Helen fans voicing their opinions as you think. A lot of us who are not Helen fans are just not going into meltdown over it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Hard to differentiate between Anti-Ashleigh posters and Helen fans for me. Don't know how many people are actually Helen fans.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JedHigh wrote: »
    Hard to differentiate between Anti-Ashleigh posters and Helen fans for me. Don't know how many people are actually Helen fans.

Good point

I think this was a backlash vote by fans of housemates who were evicted by block voting

Primarily Winston's fans, I think, but Mark's too ( he did have fans, despite the vitriol expressed here )

Then there was Ash. He had enough fans to get him to fourth place, and when he was evicted those same fans probably voted for Helen in the final three

The irony is that block voting got rid of all her mates ... then her mate's fans block voted her win
  • Options
    What a shamblesWhat a shambles Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, there have been many pro-Helen threads and a couple of posters in-particular (Rufus and Ulltros) have campaigned tirelessly on her behalf for at least half the series. It can't have been easy for them in the face of much hostility from the majority of posters (myself included), so for that reason I take my hat off to them.

My favourite, Chris, had a woeful last third of a series and I found it increasingly difficult to defend him. In the finish I was not unhappy to see him go with Pav - a quite fitting slap in the face from the general public who will not tolerate the very things that were turning me off him.

Result of the night for me was the eviction of Ash. He did have a good final week and the edit was very kind, but I had not forgotten that brooding menace (towards anybody who disappointed him) and had not forgotten his treatment of Jale.

Lyrically, of course.
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe you should consider that much of it comes from pathetic campaigns by bbxtra and bbspy trying to influence not just who wins but who gets to the final night.

Those campaigns angered a lot of people who were not particularly Helen supporters.

Also consider the extreme abusive tone towards Helen by some in this forum,Im sick of people using her past to get at her,I was sick of the godlike worshipping of Ashleigh and in the end for some it became an anyone but Ashleigh vote.

Theres lots of reasons why Helens support came from nowhere but more so there were posts out there that were pointing out Helen was the core of the show,she also showed some very nice decent moments in her last weeks,especially her reaction after hearing Ashleigh slate her when she thought Helen was evicted.

I was never a Helen to win supporter to begin with but as time moved on I grew to look beyond her anger issues and I liked what I saw.
  • Options
    Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    JedHigh wrote: »

A lot of truth in this. Also what made me more pro helen was the size and attitude of ashleigh fans. They dominated the forum this year and became very tedious very quickly in the way they jumped on anything that was even remotely anti-ashleigh.
  • Options
    sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henrik wrote: »
    Most of them would be ashamed to admit it.

Im not, why should i be.:D
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    A lot of truth in this. Also what made me more pro helen was the size and attitude of ashleigh fans. They dominated the forum this year and became very tedious very quickly in the way they jumped on anything that was even remotely anti-ashleigh.

I will go along with this, I did get to like Helen or at least her behaviour for the second half of the show, she showed a much warmer and vulnerable side to her. Basically she showed underneath all that anger she has a heart....something which Ashleigh for instance did not.

From this point I would not have minded her winning though Christopher was my main favourite but the sheer numbers of Ashleigh/Chris supporters who jumped on anyone who had anything negative to say about these two, and the cockyness and arrogance some of them showed was doubly irritating so after Christopher went for me it was about vote vote vote for Helen. The campaign's irritated me and I actually found it very funny that in the end all that campaigning played against them.Had they let one of the 3 go earlier (Chris for example) then Ashleigh would have had a better chance of winning.

I was very happy that their campaign's fell apart and I always thought and said that they would.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visit twitter. Very therapeutic to see how absolutely in the minority pro Helen fans are. Winning bb does not equal acceptance or approval by the wider public. Votes appear to make up a small minority of the audience.:p
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I don't think it there is as many Helen fans voicing their opinions as you think. A lot of us who are not Helen fans are just not going into meltdown over it.

Exactly right.

I wasn't fan of a lot of Helen's behaviour during the series, but I'm not going to give myself an aneurysm; start patronising those who did vote for her, or drown myself in sour grape juice because she won Big Brother.

This time next, we'll have forgotten about this BB & be watching CBB & getting on with our lives.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visit twitter. Very therapeutic to see how absolutely in the minority pro Helen fans are. Winning bb does not equal acceptance or approval by the wider public. Votes appear to make up a small minority of the audience.:p

Do you think Helen gives a stuff about that, when she logs into he bank account this morning & sees her balance swelled by £100,000?

It's all about the money because she will disappear back into obscurity & spend her money, plus we'll all forget about her & get outraged about something minor on CBB next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Helen gives a stuff about that, when she logs into he bank account this morning & sees her balance swelled by £100,000?

It's all about the money because she will disappear back into obscurity & spend her money, plus we'll all forget about her & get outraged about something minor on CBB next week.

Yeah I don't care that she has the money. What I don't like is someone who displayed so much vile and disrespectful behaviour being applauded and celebrated for it.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The growing band of Helen supporters were a lot less vociferous than those of certain other HMs so probably got overlooked in amongst all the other campaign crusades :)
  • Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Helen fans have been shouted down on this forum by fans of nasty Ashleigh.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Not the minority at all, she dominated yesterday's 'towin' tweets, 'HELEN2WINBB2014' was the only support trend for any of the housemates all night and was 3rd from the top in the UK, the highest after the show's hashtag, for a good half an hour. All the fallout afterwards shows is how vocal Ashleigh's minority was, and how more powerful negative feelings are than positive ones (Helen's fans had got they wanted, they were content. There was nothing to say).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I have been a firm Helen supporter throughout and although surprised she won I think in the last few days it was evident she had a chance. I think the vote to save often helps people like Helen that are big characters and does not help the slightly more boring people. That said she is not the first winner to be booed ulrika, Aaron, Rachel and jim. Sometimes it is just the way it goes. I actually think she felt she didn't deserve to win after her interview, reaction etc.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »

Agreed.

I also find it slighty ironic that the fanbase that supposedly rallied around the underdog who was getting it in the neck from Helen and 'her crew' ended up being the cool gang on here, treating the minority of posters who had different views to them with disdain, rudeness, arrogance, and behaving with a pack mentality - everything they claimed to despise in Helen!

Still, seeing the ludicrous reaction on here to Helen's win - the bitterness, the claims of a fix, the complaints to Ofcom - makes Helen's victory all the sweeter.

From what you've said it would be fairer to argue that online viewers don't appear to be representative of the voters.
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also think another factor that added to her increase in popularity in the last week was the disclosure of her racist and homophobic Tweets/Facebook. People of that inclination and probably not even watching BB, found someone they could champion.
  • Options
    this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if i said something nice about helen on this forum i was called a troll so ;/

this forum turned into a ashleigh only forum for the past like 5 weeks all sheep jump to support her because they didn't like helen
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member

I have been a lurker this series. I deliberately logged out of my account, I liked Helen from day 1, but I didn't want to repeat the experience I had on here when I was a Jay supporter a few years back.

The reason I liked Helen is that I could see a very vulnerable side to her, I'm glad she found a friend in Ash, and I hope that this experience will show her that she is a worthwhile person.

No, I don't support bullies, and some of the behaviour that Helen showed in the house was completely unacceptable. However, I believe that you can still like a person whilst disliking some of their behaviour. I saw her behaviour as defensive rather than bullying, though I accept for those caught in the crossfire it would not have been nice.

I also liked Ashleigh, but I wonder how much support she would have had without Helen as an enemy in there.

I think perhaps the most telling thing about this series is the number of housemates who when interviewed seemed genuinely surprised that conflict had been the main theme of the programme. Clearly there was a very lovable side to Helen otherwise strong characters such as Winston and Mark would not have been so close to her.

For the record I wanted Winston to win. However, with the finalists that were there I was happy with the result and felt that the final two were perfect. I would have been happy with either of them winning and it was good to see an all woman close final.