Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with me.

MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
Forum Member
✭✭
What are everyone's views on this Lynch film? I personally feel it's Lynch's masterpiece along with the series and closely followed by Mulholland Drive. Apparently it was panned by critics when first released and booed by audiences at Cannes but in the last few years has had a turn around in opinion. I personally love this film and think it is so haunting and frightening and overall very disturbing. IMO a good film should leave an impact on you and my god this film has. I also believe Laura Palmer is one of the greatest fictional characters I have yet come across. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not very good to be honest, and controversially, i think Twin Peaks the show it's self isn't very good either. (i've just spent the past couple of days watching both series and this film)

Mullholland Drive is a brilliant film. I hear there is another one by him called Inland empire that is great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is an ok little film for Twin Peaks fans but I couldn't really digest the new Donna. Lara Flynn Boyle was Donna for two years and then this new actress took over for the prequel. I also didn't like seeing Laura Palmer engaging in all the slutty things we were only told about in the TV series. I liked the the fact that we we were left to wonder what kind of character she was.

The TV series however is brilliant. And has stood the test of time for the past twenty years. It is still considered one of the best things on television. The second series went downhill after it was revealed who killed Laura, but the last two episodes were great. Especially the last shot of Dale Cooper. :eek:
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know C4 The Returned was Infulence by Twin Peaks.
  • MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    I know C4 The Returned was Infulence by Twin Peaks.

Tbh I think most modern TV is heavily influenced by Twin Peaks, it almost definitely reinvented network television. Producers of Lost and The Sopranos have admitted they were influenced by the show and I believe if not directly influencing many shows it created an evolution of American TV dramas.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, OP- I think FWWM is among his finest work.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    It's not very good to be honest, and controversially, i think Twin Peaks the show it's self isn't very good either. (i've just spent the past couple of days watching both series and this film)

Mullholland Drive is a brilliant film. I hear there is another one by him called Inland empire that is great.
    Agree with all of this.

For me it was all a bad period for Lynch. Like the equally underwhelming Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks always seemed to be a little too smugly enamoured with its own rather cutesy Lynchian 'weirdness'. It was also far too long-winded and meandering. You got the impression the writing team has no real gameplan and after a while were simply winging it. The concision, bite and sheer cinematic clout of Blue Velvet - which had very much brought him back into the fray - was being frittered away on this elaborate conceit.

To be fair, FWWM did try to bring some of the old menace/magic back, but it mostly felt forced and strangely at odds with the weak, over-familiar material. The work of an artist having to ape himself perhaps. Was he a spent force now?

Of course not. Lynch came good with the excellent Lost Highway, and then another true masterpiece - Mulholland Drive. Hurrah!
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was certainly disappointed with FWWM at the time, but I think it was because expectations were so high for it, as in retrospect it's a completely fine movie, though it wouldn't convert anyone who wasn't already a fan of the series...

Lynch was completely obsessed by the Twin Peaks "universe" at the time, and said he'd have set every future project he had there if he could, but the fact that FWWM flopped put paid to that plan, which is probably for the best...
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it as I watched it before I watched twin peaks entirely (I couldn't really remember the original run as I was about 12) it was dark disturbing, pretentious and weird for the sake of it, but that's why I love Lynch, he is like a mad ringmaster and anything can happen in his world, you are not at ease watching any of his films.

I think he did The Elephant Man justice

I have a soft spot for eraserhead too, now that's just messed up!

Fire Walk With Me did actually whet my appetite to watch the series, it didn't spoil it, just made me smile about the golden child Laura Palmer at first, and watching Lelands decent into the unknown realm...:o
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's definitely a flawed film. But, in fairness it does try and challenge you. Even if you haven't seen the TV series, it still has worthwhile ideas in it. I would however, recommend viewing the series first and then watching the film.