Tesco IPA 1000 adaptor

Hi there,wonder if anyone can help with my problem.
Bought the above internet phone adaptor a short while ago.Tried to set up and register today,spoke to customer services as had problems and they told me no longer accepting new accounts as tesco are deactivating their internet phone service shortly.States on box this is compatible with Freshtel internet phones and other voicedot network devices.Are there any other internet phone service suppliers that i can register with and set up an account with that this adaptor would work with?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The IPA device only allows access to Tesco and not Freshtel, I tried before but found Tesco had locked it, even though it was sold as Voicedot compatible. If they really are closing TIP, I'll be asking for an unlock, I'm sure we're allowed to request this as the product was sold with the Voicedot compatible mark.

Maybe things have changed with the IPA device, I don't know because I stopped using mine and upgraded to their Siemens Dect phone instead.

To register your new TIP (Tesco Internet Phone) account simply go to this page:

https://www.tescointernetphone.com/register/?reset=true

And if Tesco wont accept your custom (which is strange bearing in mind that they happily took your money for the IPA device), give freshtel UK a try (same provider but without the Tesco branding):

http://www.freshtelinternetphone.co.uk
  • jasperjonesjasperjones Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Just had a email off freshtel to say they are closing down on 12 april 2010:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, just like the analogue flatscreen televisions, that's more relatively new technology going on the scrap heap! This news is a concern. As freshtel UK provides the service to Tesco Internet Phone, that effectively means that there will be NO voicedot compatible networks, which brands the locked devices, such as the IPA, obsolete!

Surely we are entitled to an unlock in order to allow us to use our equipment with an alternative SIP VoIP Provider?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    krazee wrote: »
    Surely we are entitled to an unlock in order to allow us to use our equipment with an alternative SIP VoIP Provider?

I think the Tesco IPA 1000 device uses IAX2 not SIP, so assuming you can get it unlocked, I think you may still have problems finding an IAX service provider ...
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krazee wrote: »
    So, just like the analogue flatscreen televisions, that's more relatively new technology going on the scrap heap! This news is a concern. As freshtel UK provides the service to Tesco Internet Phone, that effectively means that there will be NO voicedot compatible networks, which brands the locked devices, such as the IPA, obsolete!

Analogue TVs can still work with Freesat STBs, So there might be a way to get the VOIP adaptors changed?
    Just had a email off freshtel to say they are closing down on 12 april 2010:cry:
    I have not anything from Tesco saying they are closing the VOIP service and their website has not changed with business as normal!!
    However found this about Freshtel/Voicedot. Maybe Tesco have found someone else to carry on the VOIP service??
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/336985/freshtel_forecasts_1_25m_loss/
    "Freshtel has incurred significant losses on its UK activity and agreement has now been reached with Tesco in the UK to terminate the service agreement under which Freshtel provides services to Tesco," the statement reads. "This has allowed a further reduction in costs and removed the need to continue to support the operating platform. Sean Wilkins, from Tesco has resigned as a director of Freshtel and we have appointed Ken Carr, former CEO of Keycorp, as director to replace Sean."
  • kevindukekevinduke Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    This is the reply I got when I asked tesco about the internet phone service.
    In relation to the Tesco Internet Phone Service, I can confirm it is due to end shortly and an e-mail is being sent out to all our customers with further information in the next few days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
    Now I have a good priced AOL unlimited calls bundle with broadband over the BT phone line I very rarely use the VOIP service or the incoming number.
    Guess the competition from ISPs offering good bundles has taken away the advantage the VOIP service had. Also O2 will soon launch a good price home phone bundle.

Also maybe Tesco thought it would take off like Skype initally did, but Tesco VOIP's £2.95 per month call packages never did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freshtel UK have now closed down their online shop! So, it's not looking good for Tesco Internet Phone users. I wonder what they will do with all of the Tesco locked VoIP phones and analogue telephone adapters?
  • kevindukekevinduke Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I have just got the email confirming that 27th April 2010 is when they close the service.
  • sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco Internet Phone is ceasing service on 27th April.

It seems they've supplied:

Siemens DP450

ISA1000 adaptor

USB phones.

I'm sure the Siemens phones work and the USB phones will but not sure about the ISA1000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    sean2003 wrote: »
    Tesco Internet Phone is ceasing service on 27th April.

It seems they've supplied:

Siemens DP450

ISA1000 adaptor

USB phones.

I'm sure the Siemens phones work and the USB phones will but not sure about the ISA1000.

I don't care about having to buy a new handset so much (though it isn't nice)

Can other operators port a Tesco VoIP Number?

Also does anybody else run a service with no line rental and an inbound number?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RichardN wrote: »

Can other operators port a Tesco VoIP Number?

I work for a UK VoIP provider and seeing what we can do. At present we can port the numbers, i'm not sure other providers can too.
    RichardN wrote: »
    Also does anybody else run a service with no line rental and an inbound number?

There are other providers offering numbers with no charge, but they're likely to end up in the same place as Freshtel, Bust. Companies have to make money, or they close up shop.

Many VoIP providers close their services and vannish every week, We're doing all we can to allow porting of numbers to be simple and quick.

Complaints to Ofcom in this situation are a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many VoIP providers close their services and vannish every week, We're doing all we can to allow porting of numbers to be simple and quick.

If I had not seen this thread I would not know Tesco internet phone is closing on April 27th, will ask them for a porting code and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/tesco_voip_titsup/
    more here and refunds for hardware brought within last 3 months
    Forum Member
    I work for a UK VoIP provider and seeing what we can do. At present we can port the numbers, i'm not sure other providers can too.

There are other providers offering numbers with no charge, but they're likely to end up in the same place as Freshtel, Bust. Companies have to make money, or they close up shop.

If you can do the number porting thing then let me know!

Cheers. I actually don't mind paying a reasonable amount for rental of a number for inbound calls. It is just Tesco were offering a very good deal (i.e. free). Since we only used the number for inbound calls, we are still on the initial £2 credit after two years. Unless Tesco got a kick back for terminating the inbound call, I would guess that they lost money on us.

I'd also assume that if I got a VoIP Siemens SIP base station, then I could use the handset that came with the Tesco Phone. I know the Tesco base station is locked to the Tesco DNS address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone on here with a Siemens phone on the Tesco service who wants to see if they can work with me to configure it to another provider?

I may have a solution to the DNS issue.
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone on here with a Siemens phone on the Tesco service who wants to see if they can work with me to configure it to another provider?

I may have a solution to the DNS issue.

I'm game (assuming you can port the number!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Greyowl wrote: »
    I think the Tesco IPA 1000 device uses IAX2 not SIP, so assuming you can get it unlocked, I think you may still have problems finding an IAX service provider ...

i also have the ipa1000 and i am disappointed its coming to an end, ive had mine for about 2 or so years now and found it a good service other than the odd call quality issues. has anyone had any success in asking for an unlock code for this device?. i will myself be asking come tomorrow morning when they open, surely they cant deny you an ulock as they locked on sign up to them. as i would like to use tis with another provider if its possible without having to go to more expense in buying another piece of hardware. your thoughts are much appreciated jon.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure it is an unlock, as much as the firmware has been amended to stop you going into the setup menu and choosing a new provider and entering the dns names for the new provider's service. However, there is hope!

I've been testing a solution with another provider (I suggest you PM sean2003 if interested) whereby you amend the DNS client settings on your phone to point to the DNS server of another provider and their DNS server serves up the tesco DNS names but points them to the addresses of the other provider's servers. The testing we did worked successfully and my Tesco DECT phone could make calls using the other provider's network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    hi richard, thanks for the reply i will do, much appreciated jon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    My previous message was removed due to it being an "advert" for the company i work for.

If anyone requires assistance instead of loosing their current VoIP service there are companies that can help you.

VoiceHost is one of these companies but there are more.

If you would like me to try and help you with a backup solution for your problem, contact me at adam.webb@voicehost.co.uk

Please note i have mentioned that other companies can help with this and THIS ISNT AN ADVERT.::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Freshtel is closing 12 April and Tesco a little later. We have quite a few Freshtel numbers and are really keen to keep them. We don't mind which service they are ported to as long as we keep the numbers. Tesco and Freshtel have exactly the same platform/SIP reference. Please can anyone help tell us how we might port the numbers?
    Forum Member
    Just had a email from Freshtel on how to reconfigure a Siemens A580 IP Phone.
    May be worth asking them
    Forum Member
    cathya wrote: »
    Freshtel is closing 12 April and Tesco a little later. We have quite a few Freshtel numbers and are really keen to keep them. We don't mind which service they are ported to as long as we keep the numbers. Tesco and Freshtel have exactly the same platform/SIP reference. Please can anyone help tell us how we might port the numbers?
    This was also in the email from Freshtel:
    3) Your FIP UK Telephone Numbers:
    > We have not offered porting of numbers onto or off the Freshtel service and this remains the case. Your number will not be transferred to another service.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I have spent many hours (I have the time!) trying to unlock VoIP adapters all to no avail. Depending on how seriously you use VoiP you can get wireless routers with a Voip input usually branded Zoom or Thomson, both reasonably priced. Also unbranded Thomsons are available. Try Ebay buy now first!

I'm thinking of going back to a USB phone on Voipcheap as my computer is on all the time! :(