Glee Sky 1 pace (No umarked spoilers)

Comments

• Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee 4.14 I Do

Ridiculous and funny in almost equal measures, this episode had the rare delight of being a great one, despite almost all the songs being duds.

Let's get the actual wedding out the way - completely preposterous, an extremely weird song, and terribly rushed. Was the plot concieved in five minutes flat? (Probably). But the things surrounding the wedding were mostly fantastic. The seniors all being back (Ok, again, and also again Mike Chang and Mercedes may as well have not even been there at all) almost made up for no Kitty, Joe, Unique or Sugar (strangely no mention of where they were at all though). The couples getting together, or getting back together in some cases, was great to see, even if it was only a wedding one off. The Rachel and Finn scenes were superbly written and acted, they have such great chemistry now that we see less of them. Brody is still a tool, and I like the little clues we are getting about his darker side.

The debut of Ali Stroker as Betty, and, I'm surprised I am saying this after being almost completely underwhelmed by her on The Glee Project, I thought she was excellent. She had a few good moments on TGP, notably when she was so desperate to get that basketball in the hoop in the one-take video, and she was actually really good in the final - she had the best song choice - but I mostly found her annoying. She completely redeemed herself in just this one episode though, one of those fantasticly bitcy characters that Glee does so well, but with a much softer side too.

Quinn and Santana was obviously coming with the lines scattered throughout the episode, and wasn't it great to see Quinn actually have post-sex hair, instead of being perfectly groomed like most post-sex scenes on TV.

Sue was her usual brilliant self, laying it on the line to Emma, but of course with her usual comic book style character idiot moments too. She had some great lines in her pre-wedding talk.

Marley and Jake was cute, and I actually really love this triangle with Ryder, it's nothing original, not even for this show, but there is again good chemistry between all three, and when you do add Kitty into the mix, they've been four great additions to this year. The song they sang together in the class wasn't great really, though that was a theme, I didn't like any of the wedding songs, although the final "Anything Can Happen" was the best song of the episode - a proper classic Glee closer, and coupled with a good "Is Rachel Pregnant?" cliffhanger too.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,548
    Forum Member
    .. it allowed us to see her breathtaking version of (Not) Getting Married Today. That was some clever singing from Jayma Mays. I even rewatched the song with subtitles just so I could follow the rapid-fire lyrics.
    Not just me then? Phew :p
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to Blaine and Sam getting Trent(is that his name) to disqualify the Warblers. That bit just seemed to be forgotten about and anyway it would not work as the other group would get through as the New Directions were disqualified.
    I love how Tina is becoming more involved even though I preferred her being sweet but she is still my favourite character.
    Also, I think there are maybe too many plots and it is hard to keep track.
    There is:
    - Emma and Will
    - Rachel and Kurt at NYADA
    - Relationship between Blaine and Tina, Sam and Brittany
    - The Warblers
    - Brittany and Santana falling out
    - Loads more
    It is sometimes just a bit hard to take in and some of the other things seem to be cut short and it is quite confusing
  • iris_de_baumeiris_de_baume Posts: 461
    Forum Member
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to Blaine and Sam getting Trent(is that his name) to disqualify the Warblers.
    It was sort of resolved in the prologue of last weeks episode. They had the local news coverage of Hunter leaving the hearing. It sort of wrapped it up.
    Good news in one way, but you do have to wonder how long they can keep it going. I guess it'll have to pull something special for S5.
  • indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    At no point was it said that ND were disqualified. Will said they *could* be disqualified which is where the idea that ND were disqualified came from. :)
    Also, when Sue came in she said they'd lost - that The Warblers had been declared the winners. Kurt told Rachel that Blaine said ND had lost and not that they'd been disqualified. Such a tiny thing in the script that caused SO much confusion!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not got a great deal to say about this weeks. The '80's songs were great... and that's about it.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Not got a great deal to say about this weeks. The '80's songs were great... and that's about it.

Watched this alongside Emma Bunton's I Heart Glee - seeing some of the pressure to produce just one episode makes me disinclined to be critical ....

.... but, that 500th number was underwhelming. Pleasant enough fun, but exuberant running about is what they do to close every show in S4. Blaine and Brittany did "You Should Be Dancing" in last season's "Saturday Night Glee-ver" so much better, and why not give the 500th to Artie? (only continuous Glee clubber throughout?). Ah well, maybe the 1000th will be more special.

Great to see Matt (and Jayma) getting a couple of good numbers. Had to laugh that Kitty, Unique, Sugar and Joe get roped in to help Will serenade Emma in the snow, but weren't invited to the wedding.

If only Unchained Melody had been done properly (ie the Naked Gun spoof rather than Ghost). Though thinking about it, they should have ended it with Jake and Ryder together bringing that phallic pot to ginormous dimensions. That relationship continues to disappoint. :D

Yay, Santana really peps up the NYC side of things, though I'm not sure I want to see her on the loo with her knickers around her ankles (when did she start wearing underwear? Must be the cold. :o) rooting through the waste bin. Ewww! Girl needs her own story, not to prop up Rachel and Kurt's tedious progress to superstardom, though if it means another Brody/Adam character, maybe not.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double post
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this alongside Emma Bunton's I Heart Glee - seeing some of the pressure to produce just one episode makes me disinclined to be critical ....
    Seeing that show before last nights ep kind of took the surprise out of both Shout and the Will & Emma number for me.
    If only Unchained Melody had been done properly (ie the Naked Gun spoof rather than Ghost). Though thinking about it, they should have ended it with Jake and Ryder together bringing that phallic pot to ginormous dimensions. That relationship continues to disappoint. :D
    lol I knew someone was going to make a comment that it should have been Ryder and Jake at the wheel together.
    Yay, Santana really peps up the NYC side of things, though I'm not sure I want to see her on the loo with her knickers around her ankles (when did she start wearing underwear? Must be the cold. :o) rooting through the waste bin. Ewww! Girl needs her own story, not to prop up Rachel and Kurt's tedious progress to superstardom, though if it means another Brody/Adam character, maybe not.
    She does add something to NYC - especially showing up Kurt's double standards.

I agree, she needs a proper plot though or else she's just going to end up as the comic relief. Almost the Sue Slyvester of NYC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Kurt's friend (who's name i never bothered learning) is from Essex? erm, I guess it's possible it's just all British characters on American shows sound the same :D

The episode was pretty good, I'm glad Santana is in New York now. Poor Marley could be in a worse position. I'm also for some Jake and Ryder.

Slim pickings song wise this week, I usually love their mashups too. Will and Emma's song however was great. I love when Jayma Mays sings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee 4.15 - Girls (And Boys) On Film

We are in a great run of episodes here, and a rare episode where all the songs were great. Emma and Will's opening number was good and well choreographed (obviously it's from an old Astaire film or something, but still well done). The Moulin Rouge scene was really well sung. Shout was fun. The two mashups were both superb, much like most Glee mashups, and really liked the final Footloose too. Only minor low was probably UnChained Melody, but even that involved Marley.

Santana has made the NYC storyline even better (hope she stays there all through S5 too), and every line she says is a cracker. Glad they are getting the Brody mystery and hope he is shown the door soon. Bit confused over Rachel's pregnancy, but the scene where Santana comforted her shows that her heart is in the right place.

Really thought Will was going to smack Finn after the Emma revelation, but the fact that he just stormed off leaves that story out in the open. I'm still far more interested in Marley/Jake/Ryder than I probably should be. I still love Sugar and Kitty and I really love Brittany when she is used as sparingly as recently.

The shows been renewed for two more years, and I know some people are growing weary of it, or don't like the new format, I genuinely think it's as good as ever.
  • tigraboitigraboi Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    The girls mashup was a bit of a copout though, the idea and arrangement being lifted directly from Moulin Rouge (even including Nicole Kidman's mention of Harry Zidler); the boys one seemed more of an original (well a Glee original at least) although someone else may prove me wrong and say it's been done before?
  • indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    tigraboi wrote: »
    The girls mashup was a bit of a copout though, the idea and arrangement being lifted directly from Moulin Rouge (even including Nicole Kidman's mention of Harry Zidler); the boys one seemed more of an original (well a Glee original at least) although someone else may prove me wrong and say it's been done before?

For some reason, the girls mashup was changed before airing to ...er...not a mashup. Originally it was going to be Diamonds (Rihanna) with Sparkling Diamonds (Nicole Kidman).
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the episode. I love Santana in New York because even though she can be bitchy I think her heart is in the right place and that showed when she was comforting Rachel. She does care about Rachel and doesn't want her hurt by Brody.

The only unrealistic thing is Marley telling Kitty that Ryder kissed her. Why on earth would she tell her of all people???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a good ep this week. Moved at a nice pace and decent numbers. Sue's one liners were superb.
  • MrEdgarFinchleyMrEdgarFinchley Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel's pregnancy, false alarm even before the credits started to roll - what a surprise ... not. :rolleyes:

Sue as Nicki Minaj. I. have. no. words. :D:D:D

Where can you buy one of those Santana feuds on the internets? I can supply my own scaffolding. :o

Shouldn't laugh as Sue and Becky were being homophobically horrible to Blaine, but as a double (triple) act they are hilarious. Rest wasn't exactly gripping.
  • tigraboitigraboi Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Jane Lynch - superstar. Brilliant one-liners and how many actresses of her age would get dolled up as Nicki Minaj and sing Superbass?!? PMSL.

The whole show's too cartoonish now but there are just some great moments like that. And Santana who is Sue Sylvester Mk2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fueds

Santana aside, this wasn't a great episode. I didn't find the Sue story funny at all (and I normally like her), the Will and Finn story, while a good idea, never played that well, the song choices were poor (and a bit flatter than normal), and it just didn't seem as pacy as normal. Don't normally find the Glee club omissions that noticable, but no Brit, Sugar or Joe - when there's just one missing maybe it doesn't show, but all three not there and no mention why. I also don't really like Unique and they seem to be peddling that ONE story about him/her.

There were some good bits though - Santana is generally the best thing about the show again, and has really spiced up the New York scenes (loved "Bitch took my pillow"). Ryder's story with the internet girl has started intriguingly (good closing shot), Finn punching Brody couldn't come soon enough, and I really liked Marley speaking to Finn, no matter how weird a pairing that is, or out of the blue it came.

One of those mid-season poor episodes that come up from time to time - but by no means the worst they've done.

Ps. Glad Rachel isn't pregnant - but what a strange climax to that story. "False alarm!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm call me skeptical but i don't think that 'girl' Ryder is chatting to is completely legit :D

Becky Jackson and Sue's 'Minaj faces' montage was brilliant as was Becky giving Blaine a bum slap on the way out. As for Sue as Nicki words also fail me!

The best stuff this week seemed to happen when no one was singing although Santana's Paula Abdul number was great. As was her stealing things as she left
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Hmm call me skeptical but i don't think that 'girl' Ryder is chatting to is completely legit :D

Becky Jackson and Sue's 'Minaj faces' montage was brilliant as was Becky giving Blaine a bum slap on the way out. As for Sue as Nicki words also fail me!

The best stuff this week seemed to happen when no one was singing although Santana's Paula Abdul number was great. As was her stealing things as she left

"That was the best performance that place has seen in years" Santana said it so it must be true. :D:cool:

Loved a lot of things about Feuds (although the feuds were lame or gay or both), I'm certainly not going to able to watch Nicki Minaj again without Becky, Sue and those incredibly leggy Cheerios taking over my brain. Actually loved the first Brody number best of all - sleazy, excellent camerawork and production values and some proper dancing. Again a great Will performance with support from Blaine and Jake - did no one think though that Finn could have done with some puppet strings, too? ;)

I also liked the feel good, bringing it together closer ... err "Closer" (never heard it before) - I know the new ND aren't popular in certain quarters, but i think it's clear that the decision is to make them less precious, less self-absorbed and just plain fun-loving, (reasonably innocent) youth- gives much needed distance from NYC (and old Glee). Just hope Katie doesn't turn out to be some creepy plot line brought over from "American Horror Story". :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Same here. Something iffy going on there.

And once his "feud" with Unique started I half expected them to reveal it was Unqiue talking to Ryder. Thank goodness they didn't go down that route.
    Shouldn't laugh as Sue and Becky were being homophobically horrible to Blaine, but as a double (triple) act they are hilarious.
    Yeah their scenes were great. Sue being as evil as ever and Blaine not biting.

The big shocker was the "Blaine is..." plane banner. I couldn't believe they went there. :eek::eek: :D
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue as Nicki Minaj was hilarious but also brilliant at the same time!:D The lines in last week's episode also made me smile and laugh, especially the ones from Sue. It was also great to see Santanna again. Still need to catch up with the series though as I lost interest.

"I'm pretty sure she just stole my comforter."
    "Bitch took my pillow!"
  • Minor MaggieMinor Maggie Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    The Wannabee song was all wrong. Posh doesn't sing a solo in it and Unique seemed to be singing scary's songs but was supposed to be baby. Didn't seem quite right!