Options

First Dates Abroad

BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't find a thread so apologies if it already exists, or is in the wrong forum.

Where to start with catching up on First Dates Abroad (Australia), E4 on Mondays.

What was Creepy Chris, 44 the mystery man all about being all smarmy and avoiding answering the lady's questions.

He had Narc vibes coming off him as he swaggered into the reception.
He was positively dripping with innuendo across the table. Ugh, eeek, ewww.

Didn't take a genius to realise he would disappear in a flash.

The young couple were adorable, he reminded me of myself at that age not being able to eat dinner on dates due to nerves.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephanie asked the waiter "what is this you are serving up ?"
    The guy and waiter both answered at the same time "bread" (rolls) but had the expressions which said 'did she think it was a hamster'. :D

Her date was rather too keen to explain a lot of things on their date. Not surprising she came back for another go in episode 3.
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the guy who is the maitre d in the Aus version -?
    what a zero personality, a bizarre choice

"oh hello"
    "yea, shes over there"

And thats about as much as he says

Some think Fred Sirieix is a bit over the top in the UK version, but at least he has a bit of character about him, and shows some interest in the guests
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    I had forgotten how stilted the Abroad series was. Tonight's is cringeworthy so far (watching on +1).
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    AKFE wrote: »
    I had forgotten how stilted the Abroad series was. Tonight's is cringeworthy so far (watching on +1).

It's not as good as the original First Dates and I can't quite work out why. I just don't find the characters that interesting for some reason....anyone else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »
    It's not as good as the original First Dates and I can't quite work out why. I just don't find the characters that interesting for some reason....anyone else?

In the Aussie version, the whole thing just feels unpolished - it's like Prisoner Cell Block H compared to Wentworth Prison (if anyone knows what I'm talking about). Then again, I moan about how OTT some of the UK daters are - so many wannabes - maybe the Aussies are more natural and I'm not used to it.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Quite liked the circus performer on the show this week, was surprised to see her opting for a second date as I didn't think they had got on with him asking questions all the time rather than engaging in a conversation.

Not sure about the "game" the other couple were playing - how many calories do you burn up having a snog? I suppose it's an ice breaker of sorts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Quite liked the circus performer on the show this week, was surprised to see her opting for a second date as I didn't think they had got on with him asking questions all the time rather than engaging in a conversation.
    I agree it all seemed a bit stilt-ed ;)

A bit too aware of the cameras too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a shame that Nicole (the psychology student) turned Matthew down. His mistake was that he was too nervous and showed himself to be too keen. He was a nice guy but I think he could have given a better first impression than he did if he was more collected.
  • Options
    TishtoshtessTishtoshtess Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed! Whilst you can tell the British producers spend time trying to get good matches for the programme, the Aussie version just seems to match people based on their looks, which often means their conversations are just superficial and dull. And they never seem to pick anyone who isn't excessively good looking!

Matthew bless him, came across as really creepy in his intro! Then 5 minutes later, "sorry I don't think we introduced ourselves properly, whats your name again?" HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the end of the first series, but it looks like we're going straight into series two next week which is from Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    That's the end of the first series, but it looks like we're going straight into series two next week which is from Ireland.
    Oh that sounds interesting! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Starts tonight at 11pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow Frederica was a tad intense wasn't she? I guess she needs a man to stand up to her since she thought Lee had no powers! He was cool and laid back though i.e. managed to tolerate her weird sanitiser gel thing on his hands.

Loved seeing the interaction/chemistry between Simon and Tynan. Perfect!

Was surprised that Darryl only wanted the pretty Amy as a friend. He would have been lucky to get her in my view. Perhaps her constant joking wasn't very feminine? Not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah Frederica was a bit too much, you could see her date was very uncomfortable with her being all over him yet she still continued. And not sure "doodling" on a first date made much sense. I gather we'll be seeing her again.

You could see how disappointed Amy was at the end, I think she'd already decided on a second date until he said he'd not want to go any further than friends. They seemed to get on really well and at least had a good laugh through the date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree with you regarding intense killer eyes Frederica especially when he assumed she was a lot older than her years! Just wow. :o:D

The Aussie episode where the 'Anne Hathaway' lookalike was a bit shocked to be turned down by the Navy dude was a picture.

I'm also surprised when both men and women bring up inappropriate things on a first date: Aussie woman and her lychee gag and Frederica and the doodles and next time a bloke asks so how long is it before you put out. SMH.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frederica was a nut job. Real bunny boiler material. Weird that she was invited back but I guess she makes for good TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frederica was a nut job. Real bunny boiler material. Weird that she was invited back but I guess she makes for good TV.

She seems to have no insight into herself, e.g. when her date didn't want to see her again, she rolled her eyes and said something like "they all say that". Der...wonder why!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The blonde lesbo, Dawn was a headcase! The programme was supposed to be about finding love but Dawn thinks love is "cringe" and she is not looking for a relationship! (?) Huh? If she just wants a quick fling I am sure she can get that where she hangs out at. What a waste of a date!

Another one that seemed to be just on the make (rather than sincere about having a relationship) was the vain Kias (who likes to party and came across as a playboy in his intro). His date, Ciara, was beautiful and deserved someone who was looking for a relationship. I bet she hasn't been turned down much. Disappointing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The blonde lesbo, Dawn was a headcase! The programme was supposed to be about finding love but Dawn thinks love is "cringe" and she is not looking for a relationship! (?) Huh? If she just wants a quick fling I am sure she can get that where she hangs out at. What a waste of a date!

Another one that seemed to be just on the make (rather than sincere about having a relationship) was the vain Kias (who likes to party and came across as a playboy in his intro). His date, Ciara, was beautiful and deserved someone who was looking for a relationship. I bet she hasn't been turned down much. Disappointing.

I was surprised he made the cut to be on the show as he made it clear in the preamble and during the date itself that he is a womaniser who gets all the dates he wants and no more (which is all he wants) in his job at Nando's. As he was not particularly good looking, I was waiting to see what a winning personality he had, but nope!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed, strange choice of dates this week - people who clearly aren't looking for a proper relationship.

Wondered why there was no update at the end of the programme from Mr Galway (Corey?) and Melissa as they seemed to get on well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kias, 21 "....I fancy myself big time" ugh.
    His date had already been stood up the previous week. :(
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this on E4 . Is this a new series? Cos i feel like i`ve seen it before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find the Maitre D' in the Dublin restaurant more creepy than bloomin' Fred!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AKFE wrote: »
    I find the Maitre D' in the Dublin restaurant more creepy than bloomin' Fred!
    Actually I have grown to like Fred now....when he said he used to be a hippy was a turning point for me! :)

He is pleasant and welcoming/friendly to the guests...but then he wouldn't have the job if he wasn't would he!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    End of the Ireland series, off to Canada next week.