Why I'll No Longer Be Buying Philips!

1234568»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member

And I can't get my head round this "everything is covered for six years" rubbish, it's completely untrue, even after that time you are quite free to take them to court - but obviously the older it is, the less chance you have of proving a manufacturing defect, and the less chance of winning.
    I have not implied this, I would say that there is the possibility of liability and redress during 6 years. I have explained the concept of "reasonableness", it is quite straightforward in principle, in practice, of course it presents challenges to the litigant, that does not mean all such litigation will fail. But if you act like a victim, sure as eggs are eggs, you will be a victim.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extended warranties are almost always insurance policies, and done through one of a small number of insurance companies. The largest, and by far the oldest, is Domestic & General Insurance, and many of the manufacturers 'extended warranties' are through them.

Pretty well all the bad publicity was about Dixons/Currys extended warranty system, where it was done completely in-house, and cost more than other policies.

I think some clarification is due here as I think you're being a bit disingenuous, Nigel.

DSG with warranties has for at least the last 20 years always had their warranties underwritten by a major insurance company. Whilst they may sell their own policies, pricing them accordingly, there was not in this time any risk to customers money as had DSG gone bust or been bought out, the customer's warranty would have been honoured by the insurer. At one time Cornhill underwrote, not sure who does now.

I don't believe DSG's warranties were significantly different in price to those of it's major competitors of the time - Comet, Rumbelows, Tempo, Co op etc.

A far bigger problem with warranties - and one which DSG was not involved in - was the sale of warranties by retailers who did not have them underwritten - Tempo and Tiny spring to mind as main offenders. When both of these outfits went bust, there were a large number of customers whose warranties became worthless - unless they'd paid by credit card in which case the credit card provider would cover it.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I can't get my head round this "everything is covered for six years" rubbish, it's completely untrue, even after that time you are quite free to take them to court - but obviously the older it is, the less chance you have of proving a manufacturing defect, and the less chance of winning.

However, I completely agree with you on this - and the sooner certain posters stop placing fundamentally misleading information on this board about the SSGA what it will and won't cover, and instead actually read up on both the act, what it really means and also how the legal system works, the better for all of us.
  • deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly of topic I know, but does anyone have any advice for the original poster on the best replacement machine to buy in terms of likelehood that his home made DVD's will play? I am in roughly the same position with a Phillips machine that is playing up, and a stack of home movies etc on dvd r or dvd rw disks, mostly made using my Phillips 890.

iI had problems with my philips dvdr, comets repair team in Leeds said that parts were no longer available, i asked what could i do with my 60 dvd+r discs, of old movies, which i foolishly had not finnalised and could not play on any machine, the guy told me to bring them to him and he would finalise them for me, i did and he did them for me in his lunch break, what a guy, i slipped him a tenner, he was happy, i was over the moon.:)
  • fiesatafiesata Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info i WAS considering a Phillips HDTV but I think I'll stick with Panasonic unless anyone has had any major problems with them
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fiesata wrote: »
    Thanks for the info i WAS considering a Phillips HDTV but I think I'll stick with Panasonic unless anyone has had any major problems with them
    Someone is bound to have had major problems with a Panny or any other make you can name.

Certainly some brands are more unreliable than others but if you let a single or few disgruntled purchasers of any product dissuade you from acquiring it you will never buy anything.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Someone is bound to have had major problems with a Panny or any other make you can name.

Obviously, everything goes wrong - it's just a question of how often, and how the manufacturer deals with it.

Sony and Panasonic have the best reputations, and Philips one of the absolute worst.

Apart from their poor reliability and poor service, the other thing with Philips gear is that it tends to be 'weird' - it's hard to explain if you're not an engineer. But normally you can look inside most electronics, TV's, Microwaves etc. and it all makes sense - you look in a Philips and it's often completely different to anything else, no matter where it's made. It's like it's beamed down from a completely different planet?.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the GS the best TV under £1000 is...........A Philips!!!!!!!!!!!!! mind you they only tested 3, No Panny, No sony, No Sharp........DOH:mad:
    PS no i dont take the show seriously-does anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, they only tested 3, hardly a comprehenisve survey :rolleyes:

and naturally you can't spot test a TV for reliabllity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Anyone got any more amusing 'Philips' stories to share?
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    my parents bought a 42 lcd phillips tv in dec 2007 - are there issues with their tvs as well? i find the tvs pic quality fairly poor, the connections (inc. the standby button) are on the side of the tv) and it doesnt auto change the aspect ratio which is a fairly basic thing for a tv to do - (yep i have scart autop switching selected in sky settings)
  • John MajorJohn Major Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I worked in for a multi brand retailler/workshop years ago, I was put off Phillips stuff as they were a pain in the a*!e to get spares and service data out of even for a dealer!

Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer are all usually fairly good - I even remember some of the first Samsung stuff to hit our shores and the one thing that stood out was how good their customer service was for what we saw as a cheapie brand.

Pioneer hi-fis/separates are excellent - they run and run, ditto for Denon.

Sony don't get a look-in when I'm buying hi-fi equip.
  • John MajorJohn Major Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    We've had a Philips TV for 7-8 years which still works, only having to have the on switch button electronics changed once, another 2 Philips TVs for a couple of years which still work and I've got a portable Digital Radio (the first one wouldn't turn on or off after a couple of days, the replacement worked fine-to be fair Dixons would only swap it for the Ministry Of Sound one, so I ended up having the Philips display model one)

I must be lucky, but I wouldn't buy any more of their products, as I now buy Sony, or in the case of my last DVD player - JVC

Aunt had a JVC hi-fi bought in around 1983, it did well and lasted until 2004.

Ditto: a Panasonic hi-fi that my father bought in 1979 died in 2003
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I've got a 'Trio' (old subsidiary of Kenwood) HiFi that was bought in 1987, and a 'Technics' amplifier & CD player from about 1989, and they're all still going strong (touch wood) and used on a daily basis.
    Forum Member
    breath wrote: »
    I've got a 'Trio' (old subsidiary of Kenwood) HiFi that was bought in 1987, and a 'Technics' amplifier & CD player from about 1989, and they're all still going strong (touch wood) and used on a daily basis.

Trio wasn't a 'subsidiary' of Kenwood, it was simply the name they used in the UK as the name Kenwood was already in use by the food mixer people. In later years they came to some arrangement with Kenwood food mixers, and started using the Kenwood name here as well.

I've still got a Trio 3 head cassette deck, and matching Kenwood amp and tuner - bought the cassette just before the change, and the others just after :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Major wrote: »
    Aunt had a JVC hi-fi bought in around 1983, it did well and lasted until 2004.

Ditto: a Panasonic hi-fi that my father bought in 1979 died in 2003

I've got a late 80's JVC amplifier. It just keeps running and running without a hitch. I must upgrade it really but it has been so reliable for so long I don't want to! :D
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Major wrote: »
    Pioneer hi-fis/separates are excellent - they run and run, ditto for Denon.

Sony don't get a look-in when I'm buying hi-fi equip.

I agree with your sentiments when it comes to Denon (I have had a big soft spot for Denon kit for many years, and sold more TU260 tuners and PMA250 amps than I care to remember); however, I have also had some good Sony stuff as well over the years - the thing that strikes me with Sony kit is that if it is good, it tends to be stunningly good, and if it is poor it is bloody awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trio wasn't a 'subsidiary' of Kenwood, it was simply the name they used in the UK as the name Kenwood was already in use by the food mixer people. In later years they came to some arrangement with Kenwood food mixers, and started using the Kenwood name here as well.

I've still got a Trio 3 head cassette deck, and matching Kenwood amp and tuner - bought the cassette just before the change, and the others just after :D

I've got an old Trio CD player in the cupboard. It's says Trio by Marantz on the back.
    Forum Member
    I've got an old Trio CD player in the cupboard. It's says Trio by Marantz on the back.

Never heard of that, and Trio in the UK were certainly nothing to do with Marantz - was it perhaps an American import or something?.

What's the model number on it?, Trio/Kenwood CD players start with DP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I used to have a Phillips dvd recorder, Had same problem with it. Didnt recognise the disc. I also bought my son a dvd/combi for his birthday and that developed the same fault one day after the guarantee had run out. Phoned Philips and they said that it was just a bad coincidence. I gave up trying to sort it out as they were very unhelpful and i too have sworn never to buy Philips products again