Les Miserables

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    Ditto. The first time I saw it we were in the middlish to front stalls and you could see all the make up changes as the characters aged. Still loved it and my 27 year (to date) passion with it started.
    But now when I go I always book middle of the first three rows of the Dress Circle. Yes, they're expensive, but heck. It's my guilty pleasure.

As for people who walked out, hated it etc, nothing is going to appeal to everyone. They are entitled to their opinion. I get a lot of stick for putting Les Miz ( yup, I'm a self confessed obsessive) way above Phantom. I loved it, especially the new version with John Owen Jones, one of my favourite Phantoms, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as Les Miz. It doesn't touch my soul like that does.
    My friend thinks the opposite. We agree to disagree. :)

When I lived in London, I saw pretty much all the West End shows, including Phantom, but out of all of them, it's the only one that I never wanted to see again. In fact, I kind of hated it. I don't think it's in the same league as Les Mis, and I've never understood why it's so popular. But there's a classic example of different strokes for different folks. I know it's one of the most loved musicals of all, but not for me at all.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    Well, I can't stand Grand Opera but I love Les Mis, and if that makes me a Philistine, well so be it.

I'm really interested in the opinions of the "non-Les Mis-nutters," and more especially, the Les Mis virgins, who have never seen the stage show OR heard the music before. I'm really facinated to know how this film comes across to those who have no preconceptions whatsoever.

I'm not really a fan of musicals, however I can enjoy exceptions to that rule now and then (the list seems to be growing, so either I'm changing, was in denial or musical films have improved). I have to admit that I really enjoyed this film and found it moving. I was impressed by Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman and was surprised and impressed by Eddie Redmayne, who I've found a bit wooden in the past, but he really came out of his shell for this film. Liked Samantha Barks, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, and the child actors... even that street urchin wasn't as grating as I was expecting. I have to admit, though, that I wasn't too impressed by Russell Crowe's singing voice, which felt a bit weaker and more strained than I'd expect for the character he played, but over time I just let it go. His acting for the role and presence, though, was fairly good, although I felt that he felt that he was the odd one out (at least I got that impression).

Understandably the film skirts over a lot of the reasons for the anger that the poor had at the time in early nineteenth century France compared to Hugo's novel, but this is a film and it hasn't the time to go into such detail (nor go into detail about Waterloo like the novel does). I felt that it did enough to convey the problems of the time and certainly enough to move one. The ending was very moving and inspiring.

So, all in all, I really enjoyed my time and add yet another musical to the list that goes against my expectations.

Vive la Revolution... and all that jazz.
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of musicals, however I can enjoy exceptions to that rule now and then (the list seems to be growing, so either I'm changing, was in denial or musical films have improved). I have to admit that I really enjoyed this film and found it moving. I was impressed by Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman and was surprised and impressed by Eddie Redmayne, who I've found a bit wooden in the past, but he really came out of his shell for this film. Liked Samantha Barks, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, and the child actors... even that street urchin wasn't as grating as I was expecting. I have to admit, though, that I wasn't too impressed by Russell Crowe's singing voice, which felt a bit weaker and more strained than I'd expect for the character he played, but over time I just let it go. His acting for the role and presence, though, was fairly good, although I felt that he felt that he was the odd one out (at least I got that impression).

Understandably the film skirts over a lot of the reasons for the anger that the poor had at the time in early nineteenth century France compared to Hugo's novel, but this is a film and it hasn't the time to go into such detail (nor go into detail about Waterloo like the novel does). I felt that it did enough to convey the problems of the time and certainly enough to move one. The ending was very moving and inspiring.

So, all in all, I really enjoyed my time and add yet another musical to the list that goes against my expectations.

Vive la Revolution... and all that jazz.

I really wish there was a "like" function on these forums. :)
  • MsJoaquinMsJoaquin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Was anyone else distracted by Anne Hathaway's perfect teeth during IDAD? Considering her character had just had a couple of teeth pulled out, they could have blackened some side ones out.

Sorry if this has been posted, but they def blackened some you can see it in this video, Hugh wore a cast over his teeth, but Anne just had hers painted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Js6kUkBoe34
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I guess Michael Ball played it as Trevor Nunn told him to and Eddie did the characterisation as he was directed to.

Marius is a drip and he and Cosette are "in love" in the novel without ever having exchanged a word. I am seeing the movie on Wednesday and look forward to seeing it and judging for myself Eddie's characterisation of Marius.

Of course I'm a Michael Ball fan but no-one needs to run! I'm all for everyone having their own opinion.

I am guessing I will like Eddie, just as I genuinely enjoyed Gareth Gates and others in the stage version, which I have seen umpteen times.

But, as to Michael Ball's voice, well, that is something that remains unsurpassed. So far!

Agreed!!!! I enjoyed Eddie's performance more than I ever thought I would....but I've been listening to the 10th anniversary concert cd since I got back from the film...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o Apologies for going off topic but I jut had to post a link to Hugh and Russell singing The Soliloquy, trying to keep straight faces :D

Now, who said Hugh couldn't sing?? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fB6LIsntpg
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I'm unsure about seeing the film as I'm a real Les Mis virgin :o I've never seen the stage show, but I know a few of the songs :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I saw the film again today! Enjoyed it even more 2nd time round. Already planning to go back again as many times as possible. My mission tomorrow is to get everyone at work to want to go so I can go with them!
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I'm unsure about seeing the film as I'm a real Les Mis virgin :o I've never seen the stage show, but I know a few of the songs :o

I never seen the stage show .. in fact I never had a real interest in Les Mis at all .... until I found out Anne Hathaway was going to be in it.

I had sang a few of the songs at school .. infact we sang There is a Castle in the Cloud .. for our School Choir of the Year song ...

When I read about Anne doing it and then when I heard her sining, I started reading up about Les Mis online ...

Then I went to see it tonight finally - I'd actually been really excited about it for ages and couldn't wait till opening day to see it but I couldn't get there due to work committments .... got to see it today and I LOVED IT! :D

I thought the singing the whole way through would be a major put off for me but I actually really enjoyed it - was quite interesting and to be honest, relaxing - I enjoyed the music throughout!

I didn't even know much about the story other than the basics ....

The only criticism is Anne's not in it enough - but I realise that's not a true criticism because it's the nature of the storyline and her role that she was cast in .... I just thought she was brilliant!

Hugh Jackman was great and Russell Crowe wasn't as bad as some had been making out ... didn't really take to Amanda Seyfried ... but I thought Samantha Barks was absolutely brilliant!

All in all - I'm totally converted - I love the musical and look forward to going to see the stage show someday soon! ... however I'm also pretty excited about Anne Hathaway playing Judy Garland in a movie about her life - I just wish they would hurry up and start making decisions about production....

:) ....
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, great to see Sid Little working as Thernardiers first customer.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts:

Hmmmm. Les Mis - 6/10.

Huge Jackman was very good as were Anne Hathaway and Samantha Barks!!

Russell Crowe wasn't awful but his singing voice was odd.

I like Amanda Seyfried but her voice grates after a while.

Eddie Redmayne was not right in the role.

Sacha Baron-Cohen - one minute he's cockney, then he's French, next minute he's Ali G.

Helena Bonham-Carter was Helena Bonham-Carter.

Aaron Tveit's accent didn't hold all the way through.

Of course it was lovely to see Frances Ruffelle even if it was brief!!

You need a pause button when you're watching it as it really needs an interval.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never seen the stage show .. in fact I never had a real interest in Les Mis at all .... until I found out Anne Hathaway was going to be in it.

I had sang a few of the songs at school .. infact we sang There is a Castle in the Cloud .. for our School Choir of the Year song ...

When I read about Anne doing it and then when I heard her sining, I started reading up about Les Mis online ...

Then I went to see it tonight finally - I'd actually been really excited about it for ages and couldn't wait till opening day to see it but I couldn't get there due to work committments .... got to see it today and I LOVED IT! :D

I thought the singing the whole way through would be a major put off for me but I actually really enjoyed it - was quite interesting and to be honest, relaxing - I enjoyed the music throughout!

I didn't even know much about the story other than the basics ....

The only criticism is Anne's not in it enough - but I realise that's not a true criticism because it's the nature of the storyline and her role that she was cast in .... I just thought she was brilliant!

Hugh Jackman was great and Russell Crowe wasn't as bad as some had been making out ... didn't really take to Amanda Seyfried ... but I thought Samantha Barks was absolutely brilliant!

All in all - I'm totally converted - I love the musical and look forward to going to see the stage show someday soon! ... however I'm also pretty excited about Anne Hathaway playing Judy Garland in a movie about her life - I just wish they would hurry up and start making decisions about production....

:) ....

This!! Summed up my thoughts perfectly! I was a Les Mis virgin too and I was doubtful! Thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope anyone who is new to this will watch it too! You won't regret it! ;)
    Definitely will be watching it again in couple of days and also the theatre show in the near future!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Michael Ball was offered a cameo but the dates coincided with Sweeney Todd in the West End so he couldn't do it but he was allowed to record Suddenly for the new album, I do wonder what part they would have given him,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Mis won for Best Picture in a Musical/Comedy at the Gloden Globes. Congrats also to Hugh and Anne.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been waiting to get on here since Friday but haven't had the time.

I absolutely loved it! Near enough perfect IMO. I loved Aaron Tveit as Enjolras (he's always been one of my favourite characters) and his death scene was perfectly done. Also when Javert pins the medal on Gavroche was a touching moment.

Anne, Hugh and Samantha were fantastic. Amanda and Eddie were solid, although I'm not a fan of Amanda's singing style. Sacha and Helena were good. And Russell was much better than I was expecting from reviews I'd read before.

Just read that Anne, Hugh and the film all one Golden Globes. Well deserved!

I just want to see it again now!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of going again to see it too. Hmm second viewing :D
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javert: (The Character regardless of who is playing him)

What are people's views on him? Good? Bad? Religiously moral to ridiculous levels? Complex?

I'd say moral to an absurd level where he can only ever see black and white and that causes the problems as life is not black and white. A kind of human Darlek where if something doesn't compute, it causes his brain great problems.

Your views...
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javert is a highly complex character.

He's guided by a sense of morality and certainly with respect to the law sees the world as black and white - you're either a criminal (and thus scum) or not. That's why he's then driven to suicide because he couldn't reconcile Valjean's acts of kindness with his world view.

While he is the primary antagonist, I think he's more a victim of circumstance thanks to his upbringing - "I was born inside a jail". It's almost as if he saw what jail involved and was determined to keep away from it, so went as far the other way as possible.
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with this summation of Javert's character. He's not a bad man, but he just doesn't see shades of grey in people. Either criminal or honest - no inbetween.

The way the show is done is in such a way so that you only hate him for the first portion of the story. By the time he sings "Stars," you are encouraged to start to understand him and empathise a little more with him. His song is one that should make you feel that way, and the words explain where he is coming from.

I've not read the book though, & the show doesn't really explain his particular raging need to capture Valjean, who after all, only broke parole, and his crime before that wasn't major. This just goes to show how obsessive he is about catching anyone that falls outside the law.

Another reason to love the show though. Even the bad guy isn't really a bad guy, and by the end, you are as sorry about his death as you are about, well, everyone else's.
    Forum Member
    Also wanted to say that I am really happy that Les Mis won the Golden Globe, along with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. All very well deserved.

I can't see them getting the same success at the Oscars though, as all the Best Picture / Best Actor nominations are judged alongside one another, and not as a seperate "Musical/Comedy" or "Drama" category. As good as Jackman was, I can't see him beating Daniel Day Lewis - who was stellar in Lincoln, no matter how much I would like to see his endeavours rewarded.

Looks like it'll be between Les Mis and Argo, based on the two wins last night in their respective categories. But Hollywood does love a musical.....so you never know.

I don't think Anne Hathaway has anything to worry about though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Javert is a highly complex character.

He's guided by a sense of morality and certainly with respect to the law sees the world as black and white - you're either a criminal (and thus scum) or not. That's why he's then driven to suicide because he couldn't reconcile Valjean's acts of kindness with his world view.

While he is the primary antagonist, I think he's more a victim of circumstance thanks to his upbringing - "I was born inside a jail". It's almost as if he saw what jail involved and was determined to keep away from it, so went as far the other way as possible.
    Great summing up. It's yonks since I read the book and the thought of plowing through it again is too daunting, but I think the film portrayed his humanity and weaknesses better than the stage production. It's much clearer in the book if IRC.
    Also wanted to say that I am really happy that Les Mis won the Golden Globe, along with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. All very well deserved.

I can't see them getting the same success at the Oscars though, as all the Best Picture / Best Actor nominations are judged alongside one another, and not as a seperate "Musical/Comedy" or "Drama" category. As good as Jackman was, I can't see him beating Daniel Day Lewis - who was stellar in Lincoln, no matter how much I would like to see his endeavours rewarded.

Looks like it'll be between Les Mis and Argo, based on the two wins last night in their respective categories. But Hollywood does love a musical.....so you never know.

I don't think Anne Hathaway has anything to worry about though.
    Agree. Can you believe Ben Afleck, like Tom Hooper doesn't get an Oscar nod. And, much as I love Daniel Day Lewis, I would love Hugh to win, but I don't think it'll be . Blast you Daniel, why make such a magnificent character this year! You've got 2 already. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not read the book though, & the show doesn't really explain his particular raging need to capture Valjean, who after all, only broke parole, and his crime before that wasn't major. This just goes to show how obsessive he is about catching anyone that falls outside the law.

Another reason to love the show though. Even the bad guy isn't really a bad guy, and by the end, you are as sorry about his death as you are about, well, everyone else's.

Well Valjean - broke parole, robbed a priest, robbed a child for 40 sous, abducted a minor (Cosette) etc. He's very much a good outlaw. Javert is so good he's evil - the bad face of being an outstanding policeman.

Javert and Valjean are both based on Vicdocq - the first head of the Surete. One is law with no love, the other love with no law.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always loved the original book: found that I
    also loved the score from the different versions
    of the stage show over the years.
    Was never able to see the stage show,but have
    now seen the film.
    Fabulous entertainment,and what a story!
    Okay there are a few dodgy vocal performances
    in there but the whole,is significantly greater than
    the parts that make it up!
    Wonderful,can't wait for the DVD!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the DVD will be a director's cut, there's quite a lot more that was cut apparently.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    ...abducted a minor (Cosette) etc.
    That's a bit disingenuous; he essentially rescued Cosette from the mistreatment of the Thenardiers. In some ways, he acted as the social services of revolutionary France!

That's ultimately what earned him is redemption (i.e. the "good" that the Bishop mandated he must do in exchange for the silver).