Moffats Ego is Bigger than his understanding of the Fans

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why do I make the claim in my thread title?

Because of this.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a503856/doctor-who-casting-you-want-to-shock-people-says-steven-moffat.html

No. I don't want to be shocked.
No. I don't want to be thinking "This'll never work".

I just want an actor to continue to play the role and keep the show alive for years to come. I don't want anyone tampering, shocking, twisting, experimenting with Doctor Who just because the current showrunner thinks he's so clever it'll be fun to piss half the audience off!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully agree. I really enjoy some of his work, but I am bored of his ego and his attitude now. A very tiresome man.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally disagree.

I'm with Moffat. I do want to be shocked! The only way I'd be disappointed with the next Doctor is if it was just casting someone to replicate Smith's Doctor. And I say that as someone who has LOVED what Matt's done. But if the Doctor is going to regenerate then I want change!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    Totally disagree.

I'm with Moffat. I do want to be shocked! The only way I'd be disappointed with the next Doctor is if it was just casting someone to replicate Smith's Doctor. And I say that as someone who has LOVED what Matt's done. But if the Doctor is going to regenerate then I want change!

Yeah- I really would love for Matt to continue for a couple more years, but if he has to go then let's have something totally different and maybe even surprising. Let's give them a chance and see how they do (whoever it is).

As long as Moffat keeps giving us great (yes I think they are great) episodes and great arcs ( yes those are great too) then I'll keep being happy about it. However he choses to do the publicity side of things is up to him. It is obviously working as the show is as big here as it has ever been, and is becoming bigger abroad too.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    I don't give a flying one whether he understands the fans in the slightest. It's not the fans that keep Doctor Who on the screen.

All I care about is that he understand Doctor Who, and he has shown time and again that he does.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh can't we lay off the Moffat bashing? Anyway. Shouldn't everyone be sharpening their pitchforks ready for the new Doctor?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    Totally disagree.

Yes I want change through a regeneration too. That has been the case since 1972 when I started to watch the show! But there was never any of the "we must shock the fans" or "we want people to feel it won't work" statements in those days. We just sat through the regeneration feeling sad that our doctor had gone, but eagerly anticipating the next era when it was largely business as usual with the exception of a different personality for the Doctor. There really is no need for silly shit stirring headlines.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    I don't give a flying one whether he understands the fans in the slightest. It's not the fans that keep Doctor Who on the screen.

All I care about is that he understand Doctor Who, and he has shown time and again that he does.

Did you see The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe? Or Let's Kill Hitler? :eek::eek:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His statements recently have been like that coming from the mouth of some clueless idiot, or a Hollywood executive.

No talk of what the show is, or what it means, or who the Doctor is.

Instead it's marketing speak and BS.

I think he has gone seriously off track as to what the showrunner needs to be. And his ego was probably to blame.
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    Did you see The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe? Or Let's Kill Hitler? :eek::eek:

Yes, and I enjoyed them, as I understand lots of people who don't call themselves fans did too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That statement doesn't even have a point to it. Lot's of people will have loved both, some liked one and not the other and there will be some who didn't like either.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he's right to an extent. We were not all shocked when Matt was chosen? Were the majority of forum members who post in this particular forum not saying how it would not work with Matt, he was too young, didn't look right, etc? And yet he's given us one of the best incarnations of the Doctor to date. So yes, I want to look at the new Doctor and say 'huh? What? I'm really not sure about this one' because then, when I see them in the role and they blow me away it makes them an even better Doctor because they've taken all my doubts and thrown them at the wall. That's what Matt did and that's what I want to see happen again.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Yes I want change through a regeneration too. That has been the case since 1972 when I started to watch the show! But there was never any of the "we must shock the fans" or "we want people to feel it won't work" statements in those days. We just sat through the regeneration feeling sad that our doctor had gone, but eagerly anticipating the next era when it was largely business as usual with the exception of a different personality for the Doctor. There really is no need for silly shit stirring headlines.

Well, they are only 'stirring' comments if you react to them as you do. As I've said they don't upset me. They make me happy!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An older doctor would be a pleasant change!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That statement doesn't even have a point to it. Lot's of people will have loved both, some liked one and not the other and there will be some who didn't like either.

Exactly. Its like bashing RTD by saying Didn't you see 'Partners in Crime' or 'Planet of the Dead'. But its the usual suspects again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Mmmm...in the spirit of fairness, can I observe the following?

2005 - "I Love Russell T. Davies. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

2009 - 'I hate Russell T. Davies. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

2010 - "I Love Stephen Moffat. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

2013 - 'I hate Stephen Moffat. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

Or even:

1980 - "I Love John Nathan-Turner. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

1989 - 'I hate John Nathan-Turner. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

Plus ca change....

Back on topic I hope the rumours about Peter Capaldi are true - he'd be great!

BTW - your flies are undone...
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep. You got the point in your answer. Some people liked it, but lots of people didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    But he's right to an extent. We were not all shocked when Matt was chosen? Were the majority of forum members who post in this particular forum not saying how it would not work with Matt, he was too young, didn't look right, etc? And yet he's given us one of the best incarnations of the Doctor to date. So yes, I want to look at the new Doctor and say 'huh? What? I'm really not sure about this one' because then, when I see them in the role and they blow me away it makes them an even better Doctor because they've taken all my doubts and thrown them at the wall. That's what Matt did and that's what I want to see happen again.

I have never been shocked when an actor is chosen for the role. I also don't like being expected to be shocked. Changing the actor in Doctor Who is as vital to the show as The TARDIS. Therefore it isn't about being shocked, it is about acceptance and supporting the actor chosen for the role. To suddenly feel like I have to be shocked and start questioning whether the right choice was made is for me, a rather negative entity that frankly distorts my enjoyment because for the first time I am being made to feel that I have to accept what won't work. That isn't a healthy scenario at all.
    Forum Member
    Yep. You got the point in your answer. Some people liked it, but lots of people didn't.

The fans or the audience?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So does that mean that Moffat only understands the public if you like his episodes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Its like bashing RTD by saying Didn't you see 'Partners in Crime' or 'Planet of the Dead'. But its the usual suspects again.

You have certain opinions you make clear and post on a regular basis. This is no different, except that you don't like it.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

*shudder* please don't remind me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just one big bashing thread that doesn't really serve any purpose except to incite arguments among people who like the show and people who don't like Moffat.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    Mmmm...in the spirit of fairness, can I observe the following?

2005 - "I Love Russell T. Davies. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

2009 - 'I hate Russell T. Davies. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

2010 - "I Love Stephen Moffat. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

2013 - 'I hate Stephen Moffat. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

Or even:

1980 - "I Love John Nathan-Turner. He's the best thing that ever happened to Doctor Who"

1989 - 'I hate John Nathan-Turner. What a big ego with no talent whatsoever. Time he went!"

Plus ca change....

These sorts of posts only work if the conflicting statements are made by the same people.

On topic, I agree with the OP... to an extent. Moffat has to do his part in creating a buzz about the show, and will use the casting as a vehicle for that. But if he makes too much of a big deal out of it he risks pissing the fans off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat needs to let go of the "Messiah complex". And actually writing story arcs THAT HAVE AN ENDING would be good, too.

I get it, he's clever-clever and smart and loves the concept and blah blah. Who blew up the TARDIS in series 5? Do we know? No, because Moffat loved the idea but is such a lazy writer he just wants to move on to the next big twist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just one big bashing thread that doesn't really serve any purpose except to incite arguments among people who like the show and people who don't like Moffat.

It isn't intended as a big bashing thread at all, and frankly some people are a bit over sensitive with their support for Moffat when he's criticised. I used to find the way RTD used to "big up" his episodes a bit cringeworthy sometimes. He'd say how fabulous they were and you knew they weren't going to quite as fabulous as he made out. Both men had passion for the show though. I am not disputing that. I had reservations over Moffats tenure initially and still feel totally underwhelmed by the River Song revelation. My main gripe is the topic this thread is focused on. The link provided in my opening post. It is not a bashing but a personal obsewrvation of how slightly self obssessed he's become. If people are upset because they think I'm bashing him that's too bad, I'm not. I'm merely expressing a viewpoint. I enjoy Doctor Who. I want it to go on for many more years yet. I don't want to be made to feel shocked or nervous about something because the showrunner believes it's right and clever.