Options

Posters that start threads but never contribute to others

Does this annoy anyone else or am I just easily irritated? :D

I find it quite rude so never respond to those posters who seem to only ever start threads about their own opinions/problems without contributing to others.

Comments

• Options
    Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »

I find it quite rude so never respond to those posters who seem to only ever start threads about their own opinions/problems without contributing to others.

Maybe they just want to read what others think?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't it been quite quiet of that malarkey on here lately?

There was that stage before Christmas when multiple threads a night were started and never revisited by the person starting them.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well OP, youre guilty of it so far >:(

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

There was that stage before Christmas when multiple threads a night were started and never revisited by the person starting them.

I've seen a few today. You get it quite frequently in advice. The worst ones are the ones who can't even be bothered to say thank you.
    RebelScum wrote: »

:p:D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Doesn't bother me, and I probably wouldn't even notice if they didn't post in other threads ... although I'm amused by people who start a thread (usually about some contentious subject) and then don't even bother to contribute to it. In terms of a "discussion" it's the equivalent of walking up to a group of strangers, saying "Man Utd are sh*t!" and then running away! ;-)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty I can say I don't really notice , I tend to respond to a post or thread that interests me or I want to comment on it rather than who has posted it. There are times I will notice a posters trends but that tends to be when they are on a wind up or obviously trolling.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, there's one person springs immediately to mind. Not only do they never contribute to other threads, but additionally never seem to reply to posts in their own. Been here a long time as well.

It's the forum equivalent of those people on facebook who start endless tedious status updates about themselves, but never post in anyone else's.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never notice things like that
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised. My zoom level is such that I can see either the poster and 80% of the post, or only the full post. I opt for the latter.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I notice one or two people like this too. I do look at the poster too in posts as it sometimes gives a personality to what is written. Some people like to start a post but it's other people give the thread life or keep it interesting (unless it turns into a death spiral).
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't notice it to be honest.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never notice who a poster is (well rarely), I think I tried to respond to myself once on a thread, I think I was disagreeing with myself!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look upon myself as the drive-by dribbler of DS
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't annoy me in the least. I am not aware of if but if I was it still wouldn't and I don't consider it rude in ANY degree, I don't respond to people's threads to do them a favour. I do it because I want to make a comment on that thread. It would not be rude of me not to.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

RebelScum wrote: »

The OP is not about starting threads and then not responding to that particular thread. It is about not commenting on other threads.

OP might mean what you are talking about but that is not how the post has been expressed.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    When you don't visit the forum very often you read threads and find that your opinion has usually been already voiced several times. To post would only be repetitious.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you don't visit the forum very often you read threads and find that your opinion has usually been already voiced several times. To post would only be repetitious.

Yeh...
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yeah, there's one person springs immediately to mind. Not only do they never contribute to other threads, but additionally never seem to reply to posts in their own. Been here a long time as well.

It's the forum equivalent of those people on facebook who start endless tedious status updates about themselves, but never post in anyone else's.
    ***cough***petertard***cough*** :cool:
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like others, I don't notice. I only ever come on DS when I'm feeling so blah and wiped out I can barely function. I struggle to take in posts so I've no chance of taking in posters. :blush:
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Oi! Less of the "cough"! :D
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't bother me, and I probably wouldn't even notice if they didn't post in other threads ... although I'm amused by people who start a thread (usually about some contentious subject) and then don't even bother to contribute to it. In terms of a "discussion" it's the equivalent of walking up to a group of strangers, saying "Man Utd are sh*t!" and then running away! ;-)

yeh but that's not contentious is it. :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it wasn't him, actually.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup. That's the one that pisses me off. To be honest op unless you trawl the a posters posting history, how tf would you know whether he's contributed to other threads? Seems a strange set of rules to live by on here. Let's concentrate on the idiots who start a thread and never come back.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I never notice who a poster is (well rarely), I think I tried to respond to myself once on a thread, I think I was disagreeing with myself!
    Haha :D Same here, I used to find I'd answered myself when I posted on an AT years ago :D I just forget to look at usernames very often :D
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst are the ones who never come back to their own thread.

Also the ones who ask for advice but never report the outcome...officially known as doing a "Blackpool Tower" after an incident some years ago.