LBC 97.3 Politics Thread

Comments

• MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you maybe interested in going along to this event, organised by the BBC.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    Who is Iain Dale trying to kid, he commented that he shuddered at the thought of the election campaign starting so early (or words to that effect). Do me a favour I'm sure he was absolutely champing at the bit to get started on all the electoral discussions. :D
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Who is Iain Dale trying to kid, he commented that he shuddered at the thought of the election campaign starting so early (or words to that effect). Do me a favour I'm sure he was absolutely champing at the bit to get started on all the electoral discussions. :D

It is not that early compared to the US - they are still about 2 years or so away yet the topic is dominating broadcasts.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Thought this might be of interest - ideas featured on Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/ae14be85-3104-3c74-a9da-85807434a38e
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear grant Shapps /Michael Green (or whatever name he is using this week) on Shelagh Fogarty's show yesterday and I don't think I have heard so many lies, from one person, in such a short space of time.
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain dale a disgrace today trying to take full advantage of the atrocity in paris to further his neo conservative - islamaphobic agenda. sickening.

as elections get closer he clearly feels he can push the divisive and frankly racist politics of ukip .. just ugly to hear.
  • wendy13wendy13 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    increasingly worrying support from iain dale of ukip nigel fromage's far right rhetoric of a muslim '5th column' in the uk.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Can't be arsed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wendy13 wrote: »
    increasingly worrying support from iain dale of ukip nigel fromage's far right rhetoric of a muslim '5th column' in the uk.

Absolutely disgraceful promotion of a political party. But then one can't really be surprised about this from Iain dale.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,795
    Forum Member
    I wasn't impressed with LBC overstating the role of that leader of that minority sect of islam interviewed by Shelagh Fogarty today. They said on their new bulletins that he was the leader of the largest group of organised muslims but what does that mean exactly? In any case they had so many callers/texts saying that sect didn't even make 1% of muslims but still they carried on describing them as the largest group of organised muslims.

I couldn't believe the non muslim callers falling for what he said too. Yet again, he's one of many who ASSUME and without proof that extremist/radicalisation is taking place in mosques but the only example there was of that was the Finsbury Park mosque which was NOT a proper example at all as Abu Hamza and his followers forced their way into that mosque and chucked the official imam out. Hamza eventually got chucked back out himself and had to resort to preaching on the streeets.

Back to that sect leader, it was obvious to me that he had an axe to grind against mainstream islam but he went and played up to what people want to hear and what people assume and I despair how people try and make out their perceptions to be fact!
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear grant Shapps /Michael Green (or whatever name he is using this week) on Shelagh Fogarty's show yesterday and I don't think I have heard so many lies, from one person, in such a short space of time.

Ed wins by miles in this department - the man's in denial over the carnage he reaped on the British economy .When will lefties work it out - Labour just can't run economies .It's in their own interest for God's sake !(assuming they actually want a job ;-) )
    Forum Member
    Amazing bit of nonsense from the UKIP candidate currently speaking on SF's show, re the NHS. He's just referred to the 'elephant in the room' that 'no-one is talking about' - the idea of health tourism and what it costs. Regardless of what you think on the topic, the idea that this is something no-one is talking about is just nonsense, and a good example of how UKIP twist things. UKIP's rise to having a platform to speak from has been meteoric, and to keep pretending that their favourite topics are not being discussed is a load of divisive claptrap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Amazing bit of nonsense from the UKIP candidate currently speaking on SF's show, re the NHS. He's just referred to the 'elephant in the room' that 'no-one is talking about' - the idea of health tourism and what it costs. Regardless of what you think on the topic, the idea that this is something no-one is talking about is just nonsense, and a good example of how UKIP twist things. UKIP's rise to having a platform to speak from has been meteoric, and to keep pretending that their favourite topics are not being discussed is a load of divisive claptrap.

Shelagh Fogarty even blamed Labour for Harold Shipman. I think we can see which mast she has nailed her colours to.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shelagh Fogarty even blamed Labour for Harold Shipman. I think we can see which mast she has nailed her colours to.

Liverpool born n bred and ex beeb leftie

It aint the Tories

I guess Green party ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Liverpool born n bred and ex beeb leftie

It aint the Tories

I guess Green party ?

Could it be that she is just plain ignorant then?
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. What the UKIP guy said was that the the NHS can't cope with Britain's burgeoning population. That ls what he was initially referring to, and he's dead right about that.
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Nope. What the UKIP guy said was that the the NHS can't cope with Britain's burgeoning population. That ls what he was initially referring to, and he's dead right about that.

I'm really unclear what your point is, because the 'nope' seems right out of place. You're agreeing with me about the topic the man was talking about, but you seemed to have missed the point I was making.

The man claimed that the topic was never discussed and the 'elephant in the room', which is utter nonsense. On LBC alone, that kind of thing comes up every 2 or 3 days. This UKIP line that they are somehow having their free speech curtailed, is utter drivel.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the last few days on LBC there have been a few mentions of the 2 constituencies in which the majority of voters were not born in the UK. The suggestion seems to be that they are people who have become British citizens and if this is the case then at least they are Brits now.

What I have not heard any coverage of on LBC is the fact that foreigners from other EU countries can now vote in UK elections.

This means that Romanians, Bulgarians, Germans, Poles and all sorts of other people from all sorts of places can determine who is elected to be the government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Is this not a more serious issue?
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    Over the last few days on LBC there have been a few mentions of the 2 constituencies in which the majority of voters were not born in the UK. The suggestion seems to be that they are people who have become British citizens and if this is the case then at least they are Brits now.

What I have not heard any coverage of on LBC is the fact that foreigners from other EU countries can now vote in UK elections.

This means that Romanians, Bulgarians, Germans, Poles and all sorts of other people from all sorts of places can determine who is elected to be the government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Is this not a more serious issue?

This simply is not true. Non-UK EU citizens are not permitted to vote in UK General Elections.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    This simply is not true. Non-UK EU citizens are not permitted to vote in UK General Elections.
    Correct. My wife is French and although she can vote in local elections (in the U.K.), she cannot vote in a general election, any more than I can vote for (e.g.) the French government.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really unclear what your point is, because the 'nope' seems right out of place. You're agreeing with me about the topic the man was talking about, but you seemed to have missed the point I was making.

The man claimed that the topic was never discussed and the 'elephant in the room', which is utter nonsense. On LBC alone, that kind of thing comes up every 2 or 3 days. This UKIP line that they are somehow having their free speech curtailed, is utter drivel.
    The 'elephant in the room' was the reference to Britain's burgeoning population and the inadequacy of major services, eg the NHS to cope with it. He wasn't implying health tourism as 'the elephant' which is what you posted. And he was right about this. Ie politicians of the main parties never discuss or attempt to control Britain's increasing population and continue to turn a blind to it. When have you ever heard any leading MP suggest that Britain's population needs to be reduced or stabilised at best?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Well the wording on the official voter registration literature has changed recently:-

Who is eligible to register to vote?

You can register to vote in the UK if you are:
    - resident (usually live) in the UK, and
    - aged 16 or over (but you will not be able to vote until you are 18).
    You must also be either:
    - a British, Irish OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZEN, or
    - a Commonwealth citzen who has leave to remain in the UK or who dos not require leave to remain in the UK.
    END QUOTE

So that looks to me like they can certainly register to vote once they have come to live here (which there is no restriction on them doing).
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    The 'elephant in the room' was the reference to Britain's burgeoning population and the inadequacy of major services, eg the NHS to cope with it. He wasn't implying health tourism as 'the elephant' which is what you posted. And he was right about this. Ie politicians of the main parties never discuss or attempt to control Britain's increasing population and continue to turn a blind to it. When have you ever heard any leading MP suggest that Britain's population needs to be reduced or stabilised at best?

You heard something different to me, then.

Again, not sure of the point you're making, really, as it's not much to do with what I'm saying. The UKIP man, and the line so often peddled by them, is that the right to speak about such things has been removed, whereas the truth is they bang on about it all the time quite freely and the topic is often discussed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct. My wife is French and although she can vote in local elections (in the U.K.), she cannot vote in a general election, any more than I can vote for (e.g.) the French government.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I did find the wording on the form a little bit alarming and from this we can see the way things are "drifting" (or being steered). I presume there is some type of filtering based on type of election and DECLARED nationality of the registered voter. It won't be long now though, and after all, it's only FAIR that if they are living here and paying taxes here that they should have a right to decide who governs us at the national level too, shouldn't they?

By the way, the lack of reciprocation has always been one of the horrors of our membership of the EU.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I did find the wording on the form a little bit alarming and from this we can see the way things are "drifting" (or being steered). I presume there is some type of filtering based on type of election and DECLARED nationality of the registered voter. It won't be long now though, and after all, it's only FAIR that if they are living here and paying taxes here that they should have a right to decide who governs us at the national level too, shouldn't they?

By the lack of reciprocation has always been one of the horrors of our membership of the EU.

EU citizens have been able to vote in local elections for many years now, it's nothing new, just as UK citizens living in other EU countries can vote in their local elections so it is not true to say there is no no reciprocation. There has been no demand to extend this to General Elections because EU immigrants generally prefer to remain eligible to vote in their own countries. If an EU citizen fraudulently voted in our general election they would be prosecuted.
This discussion has been closed.