DAB in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »
    Not so. My Pure Evoke 3 and Roberts EcoLogic 4 added Kisstory to the station list automatically when I tuned to Signal 2 on the Stoke multiplex this morning. An auto tune was not required, never has been.

Hertz must have one helluva problem finding Daily Service, Parliament and Radio 5 Live Sports Extra.

My mum has a Roberts DAB in the kitchen. This is not DAB+ compatible and is not as sensitive as my Sony (my mum also has one of those), but on the Roberts, whenever you tune to a mux and the channel table changes, you get any new labels automatically. It is not necessary to do a rescan to get new labels or stations on a mux you can pick up individually.

However, do a rescan to ensure your channel list is up to date but if you are already listening to a mux, the channel table will always automatically update on the Roberts in the background without the need for retune.

Hope that resolves the issue.
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    ...but on the Roberts, whenever you tune to a mux and the channel table changes, you get any new labels automatically. It is not necessary to do a rescan to get new labels or stations on a mux you can pick up individually.

However, do a rescan to ensure your channel list is up to date but if you are already listening to a mux, the channel table will always automatically update on the Roberts in the background without the need for retune.

Exactly. A succinct and concise explanation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Absolute 90's on D1 will revert to Magic automatically (probably at midnight) but that's a different matter altogether.

Actually, it isn't. It's exactly the same. If your radio was tuned to Classic FM or any other channel on D1 at the time of the change, Magic will appear and Abs90s will become prefixed by a ?, assuming a different SI (service indicator) code is used. In effect a new stream will be created using the same bandwidth for the new label to point at. If the same SI code is used, Abs90s will become Magic and both labels will point to the same stream.

Irrespective, you will not need to do a rescan or autotune if listening to any channel on D1 when Magic arrives, regardless of either of the above scenarios.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »
    Not so. My Pure Evoke 3 and Roberts EcoLogic 4 added Kisstory to the station list automatically when I tuned to Signal 2 on the Stoke multiplex this morning. An auto tune was not required, never has been.

Hertz must have one helluva problem finding Daily Service, Parliament and Radio 5 Live Sports Extra.

None of my Pure or Roberts radios added the new stations automatically. and I didn't expect them to. It's never happened on any DAB radio I have owned.

Not sure what happens with the Radio 4 daily service or BBC parliament as I never really listen to either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, good to have three new stations on the local mux.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of my Pure or Roberts radios added the new stations automatically. and I didn't expect them to. It's never happened on any DAB radio I have owned.

Then thank you and good evening.
  • AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I said previously I would be impartial in the whole do I need to re-tune my set debate. I decided to not re-tune this time as I usually do, instead I just switched to a station on the local mux and Abs CR, Kisstory and Magic have now all appeared! :D So, hopefully that settles this debate a bit! ;-)

And before anyone asks, I was using one of the old Pure One sets, didn't expect it to add stations automatically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said previously I would be impartial in the whole do I need to re-tune my set debate. I decided to not re-tune this time as I usually do, instead I just switched to a station on the local mux and Abs CR, Kisstory and Magic have now all appeared! :D So, hopefully that settles this debate a bit! ;-)

And before anyone asks, I was using one of the old Pure One sets, didn't expect it to add stations automatically.

Yep, Pure 400D automatically "retuned" once I clicked on a station on the NI mux.

There was still a retuning process, it was just I didn't have to initiate manually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern Ireland included in the DAB local radio expansion plans, though still nothing for parts of South Down e.g. Kilkeel:

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/01/the-local-dab-roll-out-expanded.html#more
    Northern Ireland

Derry / Londonderry Modification

Strabane Modification

Armagh Step 1

Camlough Step 1

Newcastle Step 1

Cookstown Centre Step 2

Enniskillen Step 2

Larne Step 2

Maddybenny More Step 2

Newtownards Step 2

Tully Quarry Step 2

Whitehead Step 2

Surprised Whitehead is in there as there's no equivalent BBC mux transmitter. Likewise Cookstown centre and Newtownards.

No indication of D1 expansion plans for the province yet.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No indication of D1 expansion plans for the province yet.
    From the DSO plans annex looks like D1 (and D2?) are just having 6 sites in total. They are aiming at matching current Classic FM coverage.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/coverage/dab-coverage/
  • AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member

Citybeat will likely come off DAB as Q already has. Citybeat breakfast and drive plus off peak will be networked from a shed in Ballymena.

Citybeat will be rebranded Q96.7 / Q102.5 despite Citybeat having a better brand recognition in Greater Belfast. Listening figures will plummet. RIP Citybeat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citybeat will likely come off DAB as Q already has

Yes, I would imagine that would be the case.

Can't see them staying on DAB especially if they're competing with their own stations in areas outside of Belfast.

Personally, I wish some of the nationals would take up the space on the local mux sooner rather than later e.g. Capital, Heart and Smooth.

Doesn't look as if U105 are interested. By the way, U105's internet stream is also terrible.
    Forum Member

Doesn't look as if U105 are interested. By the way, U105's internet stream is also terrible.

I would say U105 will probably stick with Freeview as their digital mode of choice due to the cost of carriage on a DAB mux they don't have a share in. The lack of choice on NI DAB would make me think twice about investing in a DAB radio if I still lived there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say U105 will probably stick with Freeview as their digital mode of choice due to the cost of carriage on a DAB mux they don't have a share in. The lack of choice on NI DAB would make me think twice about investing in a DAB radio if I still lived there.

It's not bad compared to some areas of the UK, now that D1 is here and Bauer have added three extra stations to the local mux. 32 stations is also far better than a measly 9 on FM in the greater Belfast area.

But the local mux still has a lot of spare capacity and I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least get something out of it.

I don't think Q Radio buying Citybeat is a good thing in general for radio in NI. I'll bet all those who jumped ship and moved to Cool FM a few months ago are saying to themselves "boy, did I make a good move there".

Personally, I much preferred it when it was "Classic trax BCR", before JR took over.
    Forum Member
    I don't think Q Radio buying Citybeat is a good thing in general for radio in NI. I'll bet all those who jumped ship and moved to Cool FM a few months ago are saying to themselves "boy, did I make a good move there".

Personally, I much preferred it when it was "Classic trax BCR", before JR took over.

Unfortunately radio in NI is very incestuous, with presenters moving around from station to station. Citybeat was at it's best when it relaunched from BCR. The evening programming became more streamlined with 'The Scene', presented by a fresh-faced Stephen Nolan. That then changed into 'Belfast Tonight'.

I think you're right about Q / Citybeat. The only decent part of Q's programming is their news content. If Citybeat adopted only that, it would be fine. But I dare say they will try and persuade Ofcom to co locate all output from Ballymena, meaning more networking and a shoddy attempt at 'full-service' broadcasting.

As for Classic Trax BCR, I was a volunteer tech-op there when Mike Gaston was in charge: interesting times!! :)
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most interesting time was in the first 6 weeks (April / May 1990) when the whole station went pear-shaped. Even Don Anderson said that they spent money like smarties. Then Chris Nixon came in from Galway Bay FM and it re-launched as Classic Trax in October 1990, dumping (or trying to dump) the community aspects of the licence along the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember one friend passing a comment shortly after JR re launched the station as Belfast Citybeat:

"The music's good but all the presenters sound as if they're about 18 "

Which just about summed the station up at the time.

For a while recently they seemed to position themselves somewhere between Cool FM and U105/Downtown and I thought it sounded pretty good. Sadly, they seem to now be more Cool than Cool FM, and targeting a much younger age group.

It's a pity they've been bought by the Q network because it probably means we're going to lose some good presenters such as Mark Lima and Owen Larkin, unless one of the others snap them up.

I always think it was a crying shame UTV were awarded the third licence for Belfast back in 2005. Sadly, Ofcom went for JR and the same old. I think the Kerrang Belfast and Z Rock bids looked really interesting.
    Forum Member

It's a pity they've been bought by the Q network because it probably means we're going to lose some good presenters such as Mark Lima and Owen Larkin, unless one of the others snap them up.

I hope Q take a look at Citybeat's daytime talent (Stephen Clements / Owen Larkin / Mark Lima) and then take a look at the line-up on Q (I only really rate Ricky K) before making any decisions.

I also hope that Ofcom grow a set and refuse Q the chance to move all of Citybeat;s programming to Ballymena. Let's not forget that Citybeat's TSA is almost as big as Q Networks 6 stations' TSAs combined. Could Ofcom really allow a station who's Character of Service is to serve Greater Belfast be networked from an industrial estate in Ballymena? Citybeat also don't have the same 'full service' programming commitments that Q does. Is it worthwhile buying a station only to spend extra on programming (If it has to remain in Belfast)?

I sound like I'm Q-bashing, so in the interests of fairness I do like their extended news and sport coverage. If they brought only that to Citybeat (and possibly bring back Belfast Tonight), I'd be happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Radio today:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/01/cn-group-sells-citybeat-to-q-radio-network/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=24+hours+with+Wise+Buddah+Jingles&utm_campaign=20150130_m124202361_24+hours+UK&utm_term=CN+Group+sells+CityBeat+to+Q+Radio+Network
    RadioToday understands a number of redundancies have been announced at the Ormeau Road site.

Not sure what to make of that

Is Robin Elliott still with Q Radio ? Always liked him as a presenter despite everything, if you see what I mean.
  • Mr Wi-FiMr Wi-Fi Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    no Robin Elliott is host hometime show Tuesday and Thursday on Féile FM!
    Based in west Belfast, the station broadcasts across the city on frequency 103.2FM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Wi-Fi wrote: »
    no Robin Elliott is host hometime show Tuesday and Thursday on Féile FM!
    Based in west Belfast, the station broadcasts across the city on frequency 103.2FM

Somehow, I don't think so.

Félla FM closed several years ago. :D
    Forum Member

Is Robin Elliott still with Q Radio ? Always liked him as a presenter despite everything, if you see what I mean.

He was on Q in 2013 I think. Weekend afternoons. But he hasn't been listed recently. He was good on Citybeat evenings ("Good evening, good evening"). Was always good banter between him and Mark Loma too during handover. Although Mark's handovers have always been good.
    Forum Member
    Somehow, I don't think so.

Félla FM closed several years ago. :D

Just checked. He runs REgroup Entertainment (Bands, DJs etc).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he still on Blast 106 on a Saturday ?

I did hear him on Q Radio until quite recently and he did fill in on the afternoons /drive from time to time.

I did listen to him from time to time when Q102.9 were on DAB.

Personally, I think it was a shame Q radio quit DAB here but I gather the problem was money. Another reason why I reckon Citybeat (or whatever it will be called) will leave DAB soon. It's a pity the space hasn't been used for anything else.