Options

Can gay couples with children influence the child's sexuality?

Comments

• Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nature v Nurture

I have often wondered the same of trolls.. do the parents of a troll have to be trolls themselves or is it just in a troll's nature...

Interesting.

Taking it further - I wonder if there are closet trolls and do
    they have to come out to their parents or in their forums? :)
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I am out to my very conservative father, but am not out to my mother.

Why is that? Do you think she'd find it hard to accept?

My son was out to everyone except his nan(my mum) at the age of 18.

It got to the point where family gatherings were 'awkward'. Eventually I 'gently' broke it to my mum and she simply said 'Oh - I thought so'.
    This was quite a few years ago ......my son and his partner are her very favourite people in the family now.
  • Options
    Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I don't think it'd make any difference. I believe you're either gay or not and no amount of nurturing will change that.

But are you sure?

Why is it that we have more gay people in the more open and liberal countries like USA, UK, Canada e.t.c and less in the very conservative countries like Saudi, Pakistan e.t.c?

Kids growing up in very strict and conservative societies are likely to be conditioned to think act and behave a certain way vice-versa.

So therefore a kid who might otherwise had been gay if the grew up in the UK gay liberal parents would not be gay if he grew up in Saudi with Conservative parents.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    But are you sure?

Why is it that we have more gay people in the more open and liberal countries like USA, UK, Canada e.t.c and less in the very conservative countries like Saudi, Pakistan e.t.c?

Kids growing up in very strict and conservative societies are likely to be conditioned to think act and behave a certain way vice-versa.

So therefore a kid who might otherwise had been gay if the grew up in the UK gay liberal parents would not be gay if he grew up in Saudi with Conservative parents.
    He would still be gay either way but just hide it when it was illegal in the UK many gay men got married just so nobody would find out.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Yes this is true. I have a friend I have know all the way back from Uni. He is from Pakistani parentage but his mannerisms as very effeminate. (Yes I know many would argue it means nothing) but I am of the firm the belief he would have been out of the closet if his background was different. So I think one can therefore conclude that parents do have a great influence on ones child's influence.

Oh and not to stereotype but I know incidentally a good percentage of gay guys I know or I have observed had grown up only being raised by a their single mother. I am not saying this was an influence but it may have been the transition of coming out a lot easier and quicker as mothers are more accepting.
    But are you sure?

They are still gay, regardless of whether they feel able to express it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But are you sure?

Society can certainly influence if someone is out or not, but not if they are gay in the first place
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    But are you sure?

You know the answer to this question so why ask it?

The guy in Saudi is obviously just as gay as the one in the UK only he must conceal it and conform or face persecution and even violence and death.

Sadly he will probably be unhappy and frustrated for most of his life if he doesn't act on his feelings and attractions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you gay, OP? Is that why you are interested in people''s attitudes to gays?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But are you sure?

Because we allow people to be themselves. I imagine the feelings of homosexuality are still there for many in Saudi, but the fear of the death penalty would prevent them being open about it. Many people will be gay, but suppress those feelings.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    You know the answer to this question so why ask it?

The guy in Saudi is obviously just as gay as the one in the UK only he must conceal it and conform or face persecution and even violence and death.

Sadly he will probably be unhappy and frustrated for most of his life if he doesn't act on his feelings and attractions.

I think the same about people like this
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/2008_Anti-gay_protestors_in_San_Francisco.jpg/800px-2008_Anti-gay_protestors_in_San_Francisco.jpg

You know that one or two of them will be gay but either their religion or family will not allow it so they have to hide it.

I do think that is why some of them are so angry as they desperately want to be allowed to be themselves and maybe are even jealous of the gay people who can be and think if they can't be open then nobody else should be
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    True (to the above). It's like saying the gay population in the UK has increased dramatically compared to the 1960's and before. Homosexuality was an imprisonable offence back then ......people simply had to live a lie as they do in so many countries where homsexuality is illegal.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long before there are no gay threads because other peoples sexuality is no longer an issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    How long before there are no gay threads because other peoples sexuality is no longer an issue?

A long time sadly. Homophobia still exists in the UK, but we are still one of the most tolerant nations on Earth.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cher has two children with two straight fathers and both are gay, one is a pre op male transsexual! No, the sexuality of the parents has no influence!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Are you gay, OP? Is that why you are interested in people''s attitudes to gays?

Come to my flat and find out ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that a yes or no?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she'll be right round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't. Jane rips the heads off the males as soon as they have come
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True (to the above). It's like saying the gay population in the UK has increased dramatically compared to the 1960's and before. Homosexuality was an imprisonable offence back then ......people simply had to live a lie as they do in so many countries where homsexuality is illegal.

Well it has remained static - more just chose to declare their status
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nature v Nurture

I have often wondered the same of trolls.. do the parents of a troll have to be trolls themselves or is it just in a troll's nature...

My parents never had a computer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. Most people are tolerant these days and the ***** who are homophobic are just ***** and not important anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure she'll be right round.
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Don't. Jane rips the heads off the males as soon as they have come
    Hush, you two, you're doing my reputation no good at all. :p
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Cher has two children with two straight fathers and both are gay, one is a pre op male transsexual! No, the sexuality of the parents has no influence!

As I always suspected... It's Cher that makes people gay.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    This. I personally think (with no evidence at all, it's a gut feeling) that sexuality is mostly decided by hormone levels in the womb and / or just after birth, maybe with some slight "environmental" factors.

I've always had the same theory, so snap.

As others have said on this thread I don't think the sexual orientation of your parents will make much difference although children with gay parents would naturally be more open to exploring their sexuality without feeling oppressed.

I do have a gay female friend whose daughter is also gay but other gay friends I know have straight children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that a yes or no?

I invited her not you.