Options

Bob crow - council house

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
Forum Member
✭✭
Bob crow the rail union chief earns over £145.000 a year and still lives in his council house. He refuses to give it up. All those people on the waiting list who are desperate for a home and there is this selfish git still living in a subsidised by the tax payer council house.

He could easily afford his own home

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Maybe he could, but his tenancy agreement allows him to live there as long as he likes. He's obviously got his reasons, probably to make him look like a 'man of the people' as part of the support he gets from the union and its members.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be interested what his family say about it, it could be not just him being pig headed but them not wanting to move. I do think if you can afford a house easily you should buy one and free up a council property but he isn't breaking any laws so it's hard to be too judgemental (although it's tempting given who he is ;) ).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he could, but his tenancy agreement allows him to live there as long as he likes. He's obviously got his reasons, probably to make him look like a 'man of the people' as part of the support he gets from the union and its members.

Yes it does say live there as long you like. However if he wants to be ' a man of the people' he should give the property up to some other family on the list that are in desperate need.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Bob crow the rail union chief earns over £145.000 a year and still lives in his council house. He refuses to give it up. All those people on the waiting list who are desperate for a home and there is this selfish git still living in a subsidised by the tax payer council house.

I thought it was a Housing Association house, not a Council house?
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    He could buy the council house and really annoy the people on the waiting list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I thought it was a Housing Association house, not a Council house?

Whatever it is there are still families on the list that need the property more than him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whatever it is there are still families on the list that need the property more than him.

Who are these families?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these families?

What do you mean?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are these families?

People who earn a tenth what Crow earns. However, if he did move into a neighbourhood with plenty of commuters, they'd probably lynch him for calling another Tube strike.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s immoral.
  • Options
    Janey BJaney B Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Is it a big council house?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    People who earn a tenth what Crow earns. However, if he did move into a neighbourhood with plenty of commuters, they'd probably lynch him for calling another Tube strike.

Have there been any complaints from these families?
    Have they gone to the Housing Association and said "Oi, what's he doing in there. It should be us".

At what salary level should people be forced to leave any rented accomodation and pay up for bricks and mortar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it`s immoral.

So is tax avoidance.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Have they gone to the Housing Association and said "Oi, what's he doing in there. It should be us".

At what salary level should people be forced to leave any rented accomodation and pay up for bricks and mortar?

It's pretty unbecoming for a man who alleges he supports 'ordinary people' and their rights. Most of the big union bosses are the same, mind. I believe Scargill still inhabits a NUM property, for instance.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    So is tax avoidance.
    :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these families?
    So is tax avoidance.

What's that got to do with this situation?
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's called deflection. What you just witnessed was particularly poor attempt at it.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He doesn't have to buy he could rent privately
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    He doesn't have to buy he could rent privately

I have a friend who is very affluent. She rents, it's a bedsit. She has ample funds to rent something better, or even buy somewhere outright.

She stays in her bedsit because she likes living in it.

Now, you could say the same about her.
    As she's got enough cash, she should move out of the bedsit, as she's taking up accommodation that could be occupied by, for example, someone on a low wage who's desperate to move out of the parental home.
  • Options
    Forum Member

"All those people on the waiting list who are desperate for a home"

I'll ask again, who are these people on the waiting list?
    Do you have their names?

"living in a subsidised by the tax payer council house."

I thought housing associations were private companies?
    My parents live in a housing association owned flat. The association is a private company. My parents rent is not subsidised by the tax payer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a friend who is very affluent. She rents, it's a bedsit. She has ample funds to rent something better, or even buy somewhere outright.

She stays in her bedsit because she likes living in it.

Now, you could say the same about her.
    As she's got enough cash, she should move out of the bedsit, as she's taking up accommodation that could be occupied by, for example, someone on a low wage who's desperate to move out of the parental home.

Good let her live in a bedsit. As long as it isn't a council one with people on a housing list waiting for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "All those people on the waiting list who are desperate for a home"

I'll ask again, who are these people on the waiting list?
    Do you have their names?

"living in a subsidised by the tax payer council house."

I thought housing associations were private companies?
    My parents live in a housing association owned flat. The association is a private company. My parents rent is not subsidised by the tax payer.

Why would I have their names???
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a problem with 'rich' people living in HA/council homes then it is for the HA/council to sort out IMO.

As much as I think the guys a dick, he's not actually doing anything wrong here (grey area morally perhaps).
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please explain the subsidies you refer to - or is it just a DM style assumption ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Please explain the subsidies you refer to - or is it just a DM style assumption ?

Cheaper rent