Options

Are you donating to the Gaza Crisis DEC appeal

2»

Comments

• Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I know my money will not got into the pockets of Hamas? Hamas spent an average of $4 million on each tunnel and goodness how much on missles and weapons. Had they spent a fraction of this on its civilians and building more factories and infostructure, they would not need humanitarian support.

Hamas also fired on a supply convey entering Gaza, which broke one of the ceasefires. THe convoy was carrying tons of water, medical supplies and food.

So no I am not giving any money to that cause. Israel gives more than enough humanitarian aid as it is. THe pictures you see are propaganda, oh no not enough medical supplies for hospitals... really? Well if they wanted medical supplies they should have let the Israeli aid convey through instead of shelling it.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be sending nothing at all. Plenty of really worthwhile local charities to donate my money to that gets spent directly in this country. NO money to worry about people abroad.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is horrendous that Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are being ridiculed by the institutions of Hollywood for supporting the Palestinians.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I will be sending nothing at all. Plenty of really worthwhile local charities to donate my money to that gets spent directly in this country. NO money to worry about people abroad.

To be honest I don't see why it can't be both.

Most of the sorts of people who say what you say don't even give much/anything domestically though.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have standing orders with christian Aid and the Red Cross. If they want to spend money in Gaza, so be it.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    You know the money is for well established charities to provide humanitarian aid, like food, medical supplies and sheltering all of the people whose homes have been bombed. It's not going to Hamas to buy more rockets.:confused:

Of course not, just like all the money given to the PLO didn't end up in Yassa Arafat's bank account
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    no chance.id rather chuck it down the drain ...they would waste it and it would find its way hamas who'd buy rockets and attack Israel.its a real cheek asking brits to pay for the mess they have created themselves..let them sort it out and start paying for things themselves for a change...i actually this committee should be raising money for the yazidis and christians / kurds in iraq instead ...
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think it is horrendous that Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are being ridiculed by the institutions of Hollywood for supporting the Palestinians.

Artists in film or music have to be very careful about not alienating any particular demographic with political comments, as their marketability can be (sometimes irreparably) damaged, making them a poor prospect for studios.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a naive view. You do know this has been going on from about 1250 BC don't you? It's not going to be sorted out anytime soon, or for them to' sort themselves out'.

http://vimeo.com/50531435
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Artists in film or music have to be very careful about not alienating any particular demographic with political comments, as their marketability can be (sometimes irreparably) damaged, making them a poor prospect for studios.

That's a long winded way of saying don't upset the Jews who run Hollywood or your career may be fuk'd.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    To be honest I don't see why it can't be both.

Most of the sorts of people who say what you say don't even give much/anything domestically though.

People like to have an excuse. I mean, deep down, they know that three year old children cannot possibly be to blame for needing medical treatment after getting bombed in the UN school their parents took them to, thinking it was safe. They can't possibly think that if only those children were to be a bit better behaved, their parents wouldn't 'put them at risk', or that they should be applying pressure on the politicians to put more effort into the peace talks.

No-one likes to think of themselves as mean-spirited, so it is a convenient salve for the conscience to rationalise the events as something that 'they brought on themselves'.

It could be argued, more convincingly, that people in road accidents 'brought it on themselves', so we should stop funding the NHS. Perhaps people would 'sort themselves out', if they weren't relying on a fleet of ambulances to scoop them up. I bet the paramedics treat the people responsible for the collision too. That's our money going to people who cause road accidents! It's PC gone mad.:o;-)
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I will not be donating.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Arabs in crisis and need of donations, surrounded by other Arabs awash with oil money.
    Palanstinians are a cause celebre amongst muslims eveywhere, just look at the numbers marching in London and elsewhere.
    I am amazed that they need our donations.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure they elected the government they have.

What, all of them?
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will not give a penny to Hamas , whether through the deception that it's for the 'relief' of the people of Gaza or not. Anyone with half a brain knows that any relief money will never find it's way to help the starving children.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Stupid is as stupid does. As long as it's constrained to the immediate locality I think it best to just ignore them both.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure they elected the government they have.

Except the ones who didn't. I mean, if someone decided to kill me because they hated the Tories, I don't think I'd be all "yeah, fair enough, brought it on myself, really" about it.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    cant afford much but will donate a few pounds
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have. I will also donate to those affected by ISIS if there's an appeal for that horror too.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    You know the money is for well established charities to provide humanitarian aid, like food, medical supplies and sheltering all of the people whose homes have been bombed. It's not going to Hamas to buy more rockets.:confused:

However, they regrettably already have form in stealing aid for their fighters and militants so the kids and families in real need still don't get anything: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/feb/06/gaza-un-aid-hamas
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I already have and my mum has too, I believe.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, they regrettably already have form in stealing aid for their fighters and militants so the kids and families in real need still don't get anything: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/feb/06/gaza-un-aid-hamas

You raise a good point. Do you give in the hope that some of it will get through or not at all knowing nothing will get through?