Options

Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT: New Information

I contacted Samsung UK and they said that the HD Ready Slimfit CRT TV they have coming out in May is designated as model WS32Z409T (Not CTV-32Z30)

This model will launch in May in the UK at around £500.

If you do a Google search for WS32Z409T you get a few French web pages that relate to this model number

Comments

• Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    £500. Typical.. I wonder what happened to the £350..
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a (bad) translation of one of the French pages:

Strong points:
    Tube flat SlimFit. 82cm
    HD READY, compatible 720p/1080i
    Image processing 100Hz Natural Scan
    Connector industry HDMI and component

Image:
    Tube 16/9 SlimFit.: 32 inches (82 cm)
    100Hz Natural Scan
    Format of the image: 16/9, Zoom and Wide
    Compatible signals HD: 720p/1080i
    Nb of programs: 100
    Function Plug and Play
    Automatic installation ATS
    Text: 750 pages
    Audio:
    Its: SRS TruSurround
    Audio power (RMS): 2 X 10 Watts
    Sound: Music, Cin?, Standard, Word, Personnel
    Graphic equalizer
    Electronics:
    Syst? TV: STAKE B/G, D/K, I, I/I' /SECAM B/G, D/K, L/L'
    Vid Reading?: NTSC
    Connector industries:
    Entr?/V (Cinch - lat?le): 1
    Entr?Y/C (S-vid : 1
    Entr?Antenne: 1
    Entr?Composante: 1
    P?tel Catch: 2
    Entr?HDMI: 1
    Various:
    Graphic posting?'?an: OSD
    Clock, timer, programmable day before: 180 min
    Power pack: AC 23OV, 5O/6OHz
    Consumption marche/veille: 160W/3W
    Dimensions (LxHxD): 910 X 570 X 415 mm
    Weight: 53,2 kg
    Colour: Black/silver
    Remote: TM86

There is a French data sheet available at http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/televisions/files/ws32z409t.pdf

What stands out to me is the depth of 415mm which seems quite big to me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah sounds only about 10cm shorter than a regular CRT...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    .... which is good for those who aren't bothered about the depth of the tv, but are concerned about geometry issues (coreect me if i'm wrong, i'm new to all this)
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Looks like they have changed the design of the new TV compared to the HD version at Cbit. £500 isnt as good as £350 especially if it still has issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I knew the £350 suggested price tag was bullshit. It would hurt LCD sales too much. At £500 this tv is going to be a failure as it does not compare favourably to LCD's available.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evanzo wrote:
    I knew the £350 suggested price tag was bullshit. It would hurt LCD sales too much. At £500 this tv is going to be a failure as it does not compare favourably to LCD's available.
    It might not be a total failure if the picture quality is better than that of an LCD (which really shouldn't be too difficult as it's a CRT), but ultimately in the shops people are generally going to compare on price.
  • Options
    m_lm_l Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, £500, forget it - £350 I'll take two..... What's interesting is the amount of griping on the other thread about the pro's and cons of this TV versus LCD equivalents etc "bendy" pictures, what kind of black is proper black and so on but the main point is that this TV is perfect for the stop gap before you go all out and blow the big money on the perfect spec LCD or whatever, 1080p SEO or something which is coming next year. Mind you that was at the £350 price.... anyway, another thing mentioned in the other thread was that there were other HDTV CRT's out there - anybody know of any available in Europe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HD CRT sets have been very purposefully kept out of the UK market to push the ever naive UK consumer into paying through the nose for overpriced technology. Seems samsung forgot they were entering this product into the UK market and when they realised thought they could up the price £150.
  • Options
    amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this CRT has to be a winner as normal SD TV will look far better on it than an LCD or plasma upscaled etc ? This is the main reason which puts me off buying LCD/plasma, SD pictures will look like VHS quality

I think if the Samsung includes freeview also it is a good price but even if not it's not a bad deal. This is new technology remember

Bit odd that it is available in France now but not in the UK ? I'm wondering if the UK version will be slightly different with features like the multi standard tuner 'left out' etc ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely this CRT has to be a winner as normal SD TV will look far better on it than an LCD or plasma upscaled etc ? This is the main reason which puts me off buying LCD/plasma, SD pictures will look like VHS quality

I think if the Samsung includes freeview also it is a good price but even if not it's not a bad deal. This is new technology remember

New technology? It's a slightly reengineered CRT.

Bit odd that it is available in France now but not in the UK ? I'm wondering if the UK version will be slightly different with features like the multi standard tuner 'left out' etc ?

Theyhave to remove a bunch of featues from to UK version and figure out how much they can jack the price up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote:
    Here is a (bad) translation of one of the French pages:

Strong points:
    Tube flat SlimFit. 82cm
    HD READY, compatible 720p/1080i
    Image processing 100Hz [HIGHLIGHT]Natural[/HIGHLIGHT] Scan
    Connector industry HDMI and component

Image:
    Tube 16/9 SlimFit.: 32 inches (82 cm)
    100Hz [HIGHLIGHT]Natural[/HIGHLIGHT] Scan
    Format of the image: 16/9, Zoom and Wide
    Compatible signals HD: 720p/1080i
    Nb of programs: 100
    (...)

What do they mean by 100 Hz Natural scan? What's so "natural" about it? (They should call it more appropriately 100 Hz ARTIFICIAL scan.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im still gonna take a look at it when it is launched, see what it is like
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    For me the main benefit of getting a HD CRT would be that there is no fixed naitive resolution. But I've just read some comments in the following thread that suggest that these SlimFit TVs just scale everything up to 1080i anyway! Surely not?

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=362645

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32" is too smal for HD anyway really
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    32" is too smal for HD anyway really
    My notebook PC has a 15" screen with 1600 x 1200 resolution. So, why is 32" too small for 1366 x 768? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I'd say it depends how far away from the screen you are watching. Obviously the distance you watch the screen on your notebook from (1-2 feet normally – I would reckon) is not the distance you'd prefer to watch the TV in your living room from (that would be more like 5-15 feet?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote:
    My notebook PC has a 15" screen with 1600 x 1200 resolution. So, why is 32" too small for 1366 x 768? :confused:

Size matters with HD :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Size matters with HD :D

rubbish WMV HD and Quicktime HD looks gorgeous on my 20" monitor! infact because the picture is so sharp and clear, you don't need the extra size!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rubbish WMV HD and Quicktime HD looks gorgeous on my 20" monitor! infact because the picture is so sharp and clear, you don't need the extra size!

Well if you think they look good on your 20" monitor think how good they'll look on a screen twice the size
  • Options
    tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    32" Pureflat Slimfit HD Ready 16:9 CRT, 100Hz, Nicam Stereo, Telextext, HDMI x 1, Compnent x 1, 720P x 1080i, Cabinet stand included. £422.86

on one retailers site so the price isnt going to be too bad, just have to wait to see the picture quality :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you see £422 ? PRC shows £429 but free delivery
  • Options
    tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    did a google , it was Robinsons Electric :)
  • Options
    counterstrikecounterstrike Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    For anybody who’s interested here’s the link for Prc direct from the AV Forums

http://ws1.prcdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=WS32Z409TQX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £429 not quite as bad as £500 but not as good as £350, however at that proce i may well be tempted as i don't like lcd/plasma