The Official Chill Radio Appreciation Thread

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How's the kitchen???

It's a terrible shambles. Stuff everywhere. As per usual.

Still don't know what the breaking glass noise was.
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    re the Chiller Cabinet.

Is the music at the end of the show a commercial track or just a jingle made for it?
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    Well, it is of course already on most local DAB multiplexes from the Midlands southwards, and in central Scotland.

If it were to replace Capital Disney on MXR Yorkshire, NW and NE, then it would have coverage as good as most other quasi-national digital brands.

Of course you couldn't put thirty second ad breaks with men shouting at you to buy diouble glazing onto Chill, but more programme branding and sponsorship could be slipped in without too much trouble I would think, replacing some of the positiong statements with similarly voiced sponsored statements:

"Unwind and relax with Radox Showerfresh and Chill".

BT, you've hit the nail on the head. I think Chill is a brilliant station. I don't listen to it ALL the time, but it's amazing how often I feel like putting it on, day and night.

In a way, I'd *like* them to put some discreet advertising on because while it remains largely ad-free, there's always the risk it'll be replaced with something more proftable.

If I ruled the Chill, I'd sell sponsorship in hour blocks to *appropiate* advertisers, much like o2 do between 7and 8pm. The adverts would be simple liners, just like you mention. It would have to be done properly though. Can you imagine:

"Just Chill with ME, BARRY SCOTT! USE CILLIT BANG! BANG! AND THE STAIN'S GONE!"

:D
  • radrad Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why Chill on NOW Wolves has been reduced to 80kbps mono? No new stations have appeared.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we know it's traffic radio
    With rumours of the sky outlet closing had a look on the blog and see Chill will go "gold" with a special 60s night Monday!
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=52421784&blogID=281689613
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see some comments on Chill's MySpace saying that the station has disappeared from Virgin Media. Still on Sky @ 2248 Sunday anyway.
  • radrad Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I see some comments on Chill's MySpace saying that the station has disappeared from Virgin Media. Still on Sky @ 2248 Sunday anyway.

I've just checked and Chill has gone from Virgin Media, so has Core.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Sorry to say we're having to drop Chill off the TV for now, so it will go from Sky tomorrow. However, we're still on in beautiful quality at www.helpmechill.com and on DAB where available.

If it weren't for the obvious inconvenience and annoyance of Chill's movement if you're used to watching through Sky, I would suggest you could recreate the effect with a DAB, a wall and a blue light which you must compel yourself to stare at in case anything moves. But, errrm, that's not very funny if you're upset. Or even if you're not, frankly. So, sorry.

But can I take this (slightly manufactured) opportunity to ask if anyone else thinks listening to radio on Sky is like watching Derek Jarman's film "Blue"? For full emotional impact, it's very important that you don't know what happens before you see this, so I won't spoil it. But even if you know, you have to keep looking. I find that odd. Is that just me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I've got Sky and Freeview and practically never listen to the radio on them. To me, radio has to come from a radio. It doesn't sound right any other way.

Also, I like a radio station more if it doesn't do irreparable damage to my plasma screen TV...
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feed it through my amp and turn the telly off!
    Having said that 90% of my Chill listening is on DAB.

ps If you are about Bern, the RSS feed from the myspace blog has stopped working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you're just posh... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Sorry to say we're having to drop Chill off the TV for now, so it will go from Sky tomorrow.

Creating radio's digital future!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bern, for your information, I have SKY and my foreign satellite rigged up to my hi-fi system, alongside other gadgets and appliances, so I belonged to a smaller element of your better connected audience.

However, you couldn't ask me the channel number that Chill was on because I couldn't possibly remember and for me to find Chill I had to channel hop my way through the other stations to find it, such is the severe disability of digital radio via satellite and Freeview, as opposed to DAB's fantastic ease for finding a station, provided you know it's name.

Just don't dare leave DAB in Central Scotland - because right now the radio scene up here is going through an ... er, interesting phase, that's becoming just too frustrating and annoying for this listener .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the point of you guys biggin Chill radio up when they cant handle the demand online for listeners and I can't connect
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I am failing to understand, chill seems to have done so well and G-Cap are pulling it off Sky in a few hours time along with Cube, Classic Gold and Core.

I can understand the reasoning behind the other three networks but chill?

I'll be honest. I had read the hype about chill and thought that it was just that. That said, when Capital Disney played chillout stuff overnight in 2003 I was transfixed.

My first experience of chill was in a little cream tea room just off the A303 near Honiton back in May this year.

I then understood the hype. How incredible is this station? My only hope Berne is that since G-Cap have pulled funding for Sky, they can purchase DAB capacity in the north west of England.

Edit: BTW Loved the sixties special tonight. I listened online in my garage - I have a bar set up in there. Brilliant music.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music is a personal taste I know, but I first heard this station when it went onto Sky in January 2006. I cannot listen to this station myself, it sounds creepy, like lift music. To me a total bore and a load of rubbish. The music it plays paints virtual reality pictures of geometrical abstractions. Thank god I won't be able to get it any more.

If you like it, I am sorry for this description!
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »
    Something I am failing to understand, chill seems to have done so well and G-Cap are pulling it off Sky in a few hours time along with Cube, Classic Gold and Core.

I can understand the reasoning behind the other three networks but chill?

I'll be honest. I had read the hype about chill and thought that it was just that. That said, when Capital Disney played chillout stuff overnight in 2003 I was transfixed.

My first experience of chill was in a little cream tea room just off the A303 near Honiton back in May this year.

I then understood the hype. How incredible is this station? My only hope Berne is that since G-Cap have pulled funding for Sky, they can purchase DAB capacity in the north west of England.

Edit: BTW Loved the sixties special tonight. I listened online in my garage - I have a bar set up in there. Brilliant music.

Depends what your definition of "doing well" is. Yeah the anoracks love it, but its not making them any money, hence pulling it.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aparently this station has dropped tomono in Wolverhampton. Perhaps a sign of things to come? It was in stereo.

I get the impression that this station will disappear completely before long!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how many of the listeners from the figures in the last Rajar were listening on Sky or cable!

The internet is much more cost effective and has reasonable stereo sound now, and DAB potentially more convenient for mobile use, especially with new mobile phones like the Lobster having DAB built in. Also traffic radio may boost DAB in cars.
    I hope Chill will be around for a long time, gets some good sponsors (like the “O2 Chillout Room”) and stereo returned to DAB (in the mono areas) soon!
  • pepsimaxpepsimax Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to Chill on Sky for a while now - great background music. Will really miss it in Leeds as not on DAB.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bad feeling about chill not only being removed from all digital television services it broadcast on, but being reduced to mono on a number of multiplexes (from what I can gather). And if UCB get their way, it won't be available in the North of England either (they're planning to take space on MXR multiplexes according to rumours).

I think Chill isn't doing as well as we are being led on to believe, I would be devastated if Chill closed but the omens as they look now don't seem good. :(
    hanssolo wrote:
    Will be interesting to see how many of the listeners from the figures in the last Rajar were listening on Sky or cable!
    I can't do as much on the new Rajar site, the majority of it is all subscription now.
  • radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pepsimax wrote: »
    I've been listening to Chill on Sky for a while now - great background music. Will really miss it in Leeds as not on DAB.

I spotted this on another forum:
    Classic Gold, Core, Chill, and Cube, have all been removed from the Sky EPG this morning, But all stations are still available by manual tunning to,

12523 V
    2/3

If you goto 'services' then 'system set up' then 'add channels'
    put in the above numbers and select 'find channels'
    a list will then come up and you can select 'chill' and 'store channel' it will then be saved under 'services' 'other channels'

good luck.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spotted this on another forum:

If you goto 'services' then 'system set up' then 'add channels'
    put in the above numbers and select 'find channels'
    a list will then come up and you can select 'chill' and 'store channel' it will then be saved under 'services' 'other channels'

good luck.

So it would appear that this is a 'cost of Sky EPG' issue then?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it would appear that this is a 'cost of Sky EPG' issue then?
    Not necessarily. GMG Radio station jazzfm.com also removed itself from the EPG due to the cost of an EPG slot, after which it wasn't long before its satellite broadcasts were stopped completely.
  • millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Bern, for your information, I have SKY and my foreign satellite rigged up to my hi-fi system, alongside other gadgets and appliances, so I belonged to a smaller element of your better connected audience.

Yup, that's about the only way I listen to Chill - never use Sky, just through my Comag box, connected to the Amp.
    Looks like it's FIP then :cry: